Bitcoin Forum
July 04, 2024, 10:40:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Legal Ramifications of a Truly P2P Exchange (Opinions Wanted!)  (Read 2393 times)
bytemaster (OP)

Activity: 770
Merit: 566

fractally

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2013, 09:07:16 PM

If a person does not want anonymity they could simply publish their full name and address along with their BitShare address on a forum somewhere.  
If my account takes a loss in a tax period, I may want to claim that loss against other gains.
I wonder if posting my name and address on a forum associated with a bitshare address would be sufficient proof of that ownership?
What stops others from posting similar information on another forum?  Or just copy and paste my information with changes to point it to them?
The goal is to support provable ownership by a unique identity so that it is not only usable by anonymous, yes? (That risks making it a criminal enterprise and invites opposition unnecessarily.)
Users may not take advantage of the identity feature, but it should be available to those that need it.

If you want to do things 'legally' then I suspect you can always go through a centralized exchange that will vouch for your ID.

https://fractally.com - the next generation of decentralized autonomous organizations (DAOs).
NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2013, 11:48:15 AM

If a person does not want anonymity they could simply publish their full name and address along with their BitShare address on a forum somewhere.  
If my account takes a loss in a tax period, I may want to claim that loss against other gains.
I wonder if posting my name and address on a forum associated with a bitshare address would be sufficient proof of that ownership?
What stops others from posting similar information on another forum?  Or just copy and paste my information with changes to point it to them?
The goal is to support provable ownership by a unique identity so that it is not only usable by anonymous, yes? (That risks making it a criminal enterprise and invites opposition unnecessarily.)
Users may not take advantage of the identity feature, but it should be available to those that need it.

If you want to do things 'legally' then I suspect you can always go through a centralized exchange that will vouch for your ID.

You give up easily.  Do you think it is not a solvable problem?
If it is only for black markets, it is begging to get attacked.

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
bytemaster (OP)

Activity: 770
Merit: 566

fractally

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2013, 01:29:36 PM

You give up easily.  Do you think it is not a solvable problem?
If it is only for black markets, it is begging to get attacked.

Let me rephrase that, this system is perfectly legal it just doesn't provide you receipts that are required to report losses.    You of course have every transaction you made on your computer and can prove you own the private keys so you have all of the documentation you need for any profit and loss.   You can always Self Report your income and forgo claiming losses.     Or you can calculate your net position and only report the gains.

Technically you have no 'profit or loss' until you convert back to fiat and any time you make a trade with someone for fiat you can get a receipt.

https://fractally.com - the next generation of decentralized autonomous organizations (DAOs).
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: