Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 09:42:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: How many BottleCaps do you own?
None - 86 (39.1%)
1-1k - 30 (13.6%)
1k-10k - 28 (12.7%)
More than 10k - 76 (34.5%)
Total Voters: 220

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 ... 219 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Bottlecaps 2.1 UPDATE REQUIRED - HARDFORK JULY 4 2014 to 200% Annual PoS  (Read 388604 times)
mullick
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 10:01:52 AM

Mini fork detected... +3 blocks over, compared to coinchoose.

Coinchoose: 70309
Me 7-connections: 70312

Hit an ugly spot where I got 19 rejects... (Not all in a row, but I assume it was from coin-hoppers, which is all good.)

Last block I got was at 8:11 PM (GMT -5) {20:11}. Due for one now, but I suspect it will orphan, which is odd, since I am on the taller chain. Unless a client on the chain is simply rejecting all our blocks, trying to out-build us.

EDIT: NVM, coinchoose caught-up... one block behind, so that might just be a delay now. Fork-attempt failure. lol. I love how resilient this coin is.

Time to give my machines a break for the month anyways... Let them settle-down and cool-off for a bit.

If you have your debug log please PM me with a download link

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kslavik

Activity: 441
Merit: 250

GET IN - Smart Ticket Protocol - Live in market!

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 11:58:39 AM

Which one is a correct chain now?

72129 blocks with 1.43 diff or

71967 blocks with 0.25 diff (I tried to re-download the chain several times and I always picked this one up somehow)

████
             ███  ███
           ████     ███
         ███  ███    ███
       ████     ███    ███
     ███  ███     ███    ███
   ████     ███     ███   ██
 ███  ███     █████████████████
███     ███     ███           ██
 ███      ███     ██          ██
   ███      ██████████      ███
     ███      ██████      ███
       ███      ██      ███
         ███          ███
           ███      ███
             ███  ███
               ████

GUTS
    ███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

smart-ticket protocol for events
live product with market traction!
    ███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

BTC ANN
  WEBSITE
  BLOG

SANDBOX
  WHITEPAPER
  BOUNTY

Petr1fied

Activity: 630
Merit: 502

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 12:50:44 PM

The longer chain typically wins when there is a fork because more people will lose their coins if they go with the shorter chain. It's in your best interests to get onto the longer chain as soon as possible. If you need a list of nodes then visit my block crawler which is on the longer chain and click the link under Connections:

It'll give you a nice preformatted list of addnode lines to get you back on track.

If you have your debug log please PM me with a download link

I've PM'd you a download link for my debug.log. Wink
Damnsammit

Activity: 406

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 01:22:09 PM

I understand people will lose faith because this happened again.

I certainly have!  Doesn't look very promising when this is a recurring theme...
butjust41day

Activity: 131
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 03:35:30 PM

Well it's getting fixed which should give you more faith in the coin. The developers are active, no pre-mined occurred and a POW/POS coin. These things make me really like this coin. Besides CAPs are fun.

ISAWHIM

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 03:48:39 PM

There are three chains...

One with diff 16K (0.244) @ block height 72031...
Plus one at height 72538...
Plus one at height 72129...

Something should be set, in code, to accept POS over POW, in the event where both are found at the same time. (If branched, the branch without the POS should immediately die, as it should be seen as invalid. Same when looking for block-heights. Since POS take almost no time to create, once the system decides it is time to create one. Killing the non-POS branch, which would interfere with the security that POS is intended to add. EG, building a chain on the non-POS branch would eventually lead to a separate POS there, causing another split... However, if the only chains accepted are the ones with the earliest POS, then we are all building off the same chain. Reducing the splitting, unless there truly is a network separation.)

Also note... this would require a constant "roaming" free IP slot. (Or multiple ones), so the wallets/coind can constantly "explore" for networks. Once they find x-connections, they stay there, as long as those connections are not lost. That should not be. Connections should be randomly closed, and replaced by ones that have not been tried yet. (Or ones that have not been tried in a while.)

I suggest closing one connection per x-blocks found, unless a replacement connection has not been found after having closed on a block previously found.
John Eden (OP)

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

Have you mined Bottlecaps today?

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 03:56:18 PM

Minor setback on the 1.41 wallet update still intend to have it out there soon. The forks folks are seeing all appear to be from people connecting to peers on old wallets running old chains. Haven't seen the issues running the wallet on the correct peers with the upgraded wallet.

In the meantime:

With CAP's you can now buy:
Buy sauce with coins http://sauce4coins.com/
Buy Steam games http://coingas.com
Buy Jerky and Goodies http://jaysjerkyandgoodies.com/

Support these vendors with your CAP's

Check out Bottlecaps: https://cryptocointalk.com/forum/242-bottlecaps-cap/  | Check us out on facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bottlecaps/629515757059363 | CAP Foundation donations: F2YX4Aiyk9p2WqXHrrGGgVuskTxCGYpaG9
Petr1fied

Activity: 630
Merit: 502

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 03:59:10 PM

I think it just needs to use a more precise time, 1 second can be a long time when you have 2 different type of blocks that can be generated (one of which very easily).

Why not just make the time of block generation more precise by using milliseconds or even microseconds? The chances of a clash would then be much less likely and the winning block would invariably be the one with the smallest number of [milli/micro]seconds over the full second.

The chances of a clash when using milliseconds is 1 in 1,000
The chances of a clash when using microseconds is 1 in 1,000,000
BitJohn

Activity: 826
Merit: 1001

@Bit_John

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 04:33:36 PM

Minor setback on the 1.41 wallet update still intend to have it out there soon. The forks folks are seeing all appear to be from people connecting to peers on old wallets running old chains. Haven't seen the issues running the wallet on the correct peers with the upgraded wallet.

In the meantime:

With CAP's you can now buy:
Buy sauce with coins http://sauce4coins.com/
Buy Steam games http://coingas.com
Buy Jerky and Goodies http://jaysjerkyandgoodies.com/

Support these vendors with your CAP's

Very cool I already put in my order for some jerky!
kslavik

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 04:34:50 PM
Last edit: August 13, 2013, 05:06:30 PM by kslavik

I think it just needs to use a more precise time, 1 second can be a long time when you have 2 different type of blocks that can be generated (one of which very easily).

Why not just make the time of block generation more precise by using milliseconds or even microseconds? The chances of a clash would then be much less likely and the winning block would invariably be the one with the smallest number of [milli/micro]seconds over the full second.

The chances of a clash when using milliseconds is 1 in 1,000
The chances of a clash when using microseconds is 1 in 1,000,000

I think the problem is that forks are not detected by the client and even if they are, there is no code to pick the best branch.
The client should always detect the longest chain and switch into it. It should be part of the code, right?

I also think that POS blocks should have lower priority than POW blocks, because POS are there to support the network when there are no POW blocks found.

████
             ███  ███
           ████     ███
         ███  ███    ███
       ████     ███    ███
     ███  ███     ███    ███
     ███      ██████      ███
       ███      ██      ███
         ███          ███
           ███      ███
             ███  ███
               ████

GUTS
    ███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

BTC ANN
  WEBSITE
  BLOG

SANDBOX
  WHITEPAPER
  BOUNTY

chondrite

Activity: 237
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 05:04:19 PM

I'm using the 1.40 update with the nodes posted in the OP.  My client is on a different block than bottlecapspool and the block explorers.  I've redownloaded the blockchain, tried without the nodes, still get the same chain that is different from other services.  Any idea on how to get my client back on the right chain?
ISAWHIM

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 05:13:21 PM

I honestly think the other guys need to redownload... Our clients are rejecting the other chains for a reason... Are they failing an audit?

Block-height of the ONLY chain I can connect to, with all settings mentioned above, is still 72042.

I am guessing someone is using a client that is rejecting "speaking" to us, by killing our connections, if there isn't something "failing" in the other block-heights. Because they seem to be isolating themselves, and this chain will eventually topple-over the others, with the diff so low. (My wallet sees other heights, but no-one is delivering them... or they are, and they are failing an audit, thus, not accepted by the wallet as a "valid chain block".)

Sorry, but unless the others connect, I am going to just mine the hell out of the low diff chain until it surpasses the others. It is the only one passing an audit in my wallet, apparently.
kslavik

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 05:18:10 PM

I honestly think the other guys need to redownload... Our clients are rejecting the other chains for a reason... Are they failing an audit?

Block-height of the ONLY chain I can connect to, with all settings mentioned above, is still 72042.

I am guessing someone is using a client that is rejecting "speaking" to us, by killing our connections, if there isn't something "failing" in the other block-heights. Because they seem to be isolating themselves, and this chain will eventually topple-over the others, with the diff so low.

Sorry, but unless the others connect, I am going to just mine the hell out of the low diff chain until it surpasses the others. It is the only one passing an audit in my wallet, apparently.

Add the following to your bottlecaps.conf:

connect=92.5.104.42

and take out all your addnodes

You can download blockchain from several days ago from here http://www.karasoft.com/BottleCapsLast.rar

Once you done with the update modify back your bottlecaps.conf

████
             ███  ███
           ████     ███
         ███  ███    ███
       ████     ███    ███
     ███  ███     ███    ███
     ███      ██████      ███
       ███      ██      ███
         ███          ███
           ███      ███
             ███  ███
               ████

GUTS
    ███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

BTC ANN
  WEBSITE
  BLOG

SANDBOX
  WHITEPAPER
  BOUNTY

ISAWHIM

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 05:25:55 PM

That still says the same thing... block-height 72044 and it is constantly rejecting my connections...

The point of having a "reliable connection", is that it is reliable...

If we have to constantly keep manually connecting (apparently to the wrong chain that some individual wants us to connect to, instead of the one that works naturally), then there is no point mining on that poor connection, which will just continue to lead to crap like this.

The list of connections provided connects fine, well 4 connections... Removing all connections connects fine, to the same 4 connections. Not sure what is going on here, but it seems as though someone is purposely screwing with the networks in the pools. That, or they all have corrupted data, or they are isolating themselves, which is effectively doing a 51% attack, and then asking us to join the attacking chain, but refusing our connections.

You guys might want to check your ISP's, and see if they are rejecting our connections, which is keeping YOU isolated from US.

connection to IP 92.5.104.42 is not accepting connections, constantly closing them once connected.

Going back to the one that connects, which will rise above the others. I suggest you do the same. The other chains are high diff, and not growing as fast, and are selective to whom they talk with. You will constantly be forking talking to those unreliable connections.
kslavik

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 05:30:33 PM

That still says the same thing... block-height 72044 and it is constantly rejecting my connections...

Here is the link to the block chain with 72636 blocks:

http://www.karasoft.com/BottleCaps72636.rar

Edit: Did you delete your block chain first? and overridden it with the block chain from the archive?
Edit2: you must close your bottlecaps client before you delete and override the block change database

████
             ███  ███
           ████     ███
         ███  ███    ███
       ████     ███    ███
     ███  ███     ███    ███
     ███      ██████      ███
       ███      ██      ███
         ███          ███
           ███      ███
             ███  ███
               ████

GUTS
    ███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

BTC ANN
  WEBSITE
  BLOG

SANDBOX
  WHITEPAPER
  BOUNTY

flound1129

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

www.multipool.us

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 05:37:59 PM

Well, we weren't mining it this time, so no loss on my end.  I just had the daemon up so people could withdraw.  I hope payments haven't gone out into the ether..

Multipool - Always mine the most profitable coin - Scrypt, X11 or SHA-256!
ISAWHIM

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 05:42:36 PM

Here is the link to the block chain with 72636 blocks:

http://www.karasoft.com/BottleCaps72636.rar

Edit: Did you delete your block chain first? and overridden it with the block chain from the archive?
Edit2: you must close your bottlecaps client before you delete and override the block change database

See above post...

Yes, deleted, and still being rejected... Thus, unreliable...

The database should be split into 2 parts... (Hard-coded archives), and (new)... This would stop all the useless redownloading every time. It would also allow it to "fix itself" instead of having to redownload, if a fork is detected. (Hard-coded matching the hard-coded block-height), (New being anything above that last coded block-height.)

The forks are being detected... It sees I am "caught-up" on 72044, then after a while it sees the other height, but never downloads anything, just saying, "out of sync", but still mines away.

It is a "speaking" issue, or an ISP-blocking issue, not a listening issue... (Unless the wallet just can't "undo and repair", going backwards to the point of the fork. But I have downloaded five times now, all the same result... I am going back to mining the one chain that actually IS reliable, by way of communicating it's blocks for it's block-height. It WILL eventually catch-up and tower over the non-speaking chains that are running solo, or in "small groups".)
ISAWHIM

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 05:55:46 PM

P.S. Exchanges might want to halt delivery and acceptance for a while, until they figure out why the programs they are running, are isolating themselves from others on the network. You will be exchanging coins that are going to disappear soon.

Hard-coding blocks from those exchanges, on a network that is constantly isolating itself will NOT help.

Mining on the high diff chains will only work if you keep constant miners on there. Once they leave, the new miners will be connecting to the chain that is actually talking, the ones that you connect to without addnodes and the ones that are on the original addnodes listed on the front page.

Though, since the change, those four listed are not sending the block-chain to us, only telling us that they have a bigger block-height. Which is just useless if you want your chain to grow. It can't grow if you don't tell us what to build off of.
kslavik

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 06:00:37 PM

Here is my peer info:

Code:
60.242.225.227:58141        72666
72.190.53.101:33210         72664
208.54.70.131:48096         72664
106.186.30.13:53437         72664
192.241.148.204:40381       72659
172.250.241.106:39565       72655
84.94.36.109:57516          72654
105.236.213.165:60729       72648
92.5.104.42:7685            72646
212.49.88.108:59794         72646
2.81.165.221:50022          72646
91.78.85.221:28689          72645

████
             ███  ███
           ████     ███
         ███  ███    ███
       ████     ███    ███
     ███  ███     ███    ███
     ███      ██████      ███
       ███      ██      ███
         ███          ███
           ███      ███
             ███  ███
               ████

GUTS
    ███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

BTC ANN
  WEBSITE
  BLOG

SANDBOX
  WHITEPAPER
  BOUNTY

BitJohn

Activity: 826
Merit: 1001

@Bit_John

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 06:02:44 PM

P.S. Exchanges might want to halt delivery and acceptance for a while, until they figure out why the programs they are running, are isolating themselves from others on the network. You will be exchanging coins that are going to disappear soon.

Hard-coding blocks from those exchanges, on a network that is constantly isolating itself will NOT help.

Mining on the high diff chains will only work if you keep constant miners on there. Once they leave, the new miners will be connecting to the chain that is actually talking, the ones that you connect to without addnodes and the ones that are on the original addnodes listed on the front page.

Though, since the change, those four listed are not sending the block-chain to us, only telling us that they have a bigger block-height. Which is just useless if you want your chain to grow. It can't grow if you don't tell us what to build off of.

My personal wallet, the exchange, the block explorers don't seem to have an issue staying on the correct chain and the update is right around the corner.

I have these peers connected and all at the right height:
addnode= 192.241.222.16
addnode= 70.79.24.157
addnode= 70.98.114.237
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 ... 219 »
  Print  

Jump to: