Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 07:09:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: How many BottleCaps do you own?
None - 86 (39.1%)
1-1k - 30 (13.6%)
1k-10k - 28 (12.7%)
More than 10k - 76 (34.5%)
Total Voters: 220

Pages: « 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 [74] 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 ... 219 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Bottlecaps 2.1 UPDATE REQUIRED - HARDFORK JULY 4 2014 to 200% Annual PoS  (Read 388604 times)
dragon695

Activity: 449
Merit: 103

Decentralized Ascending Auctions on Blockchain

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 01:06:39 AM

Also, in response to one of your previous posts, I've never had an issue with the Megacoin wallet? Nor has anybody else, that I'm aware of -- perhaps you should make a post in the thread about it.
The problem with Megacoin is that there is a distinct cult-like atmosphere surrounding it and the implication that Kimoto is Kimdotcom of Megaupload notoriety. Whether or not you agree, raising concerns in the thread is almost certain to earn you immature responses filled with stupid animated gifs you'd expect from the teenaged tumblr/reddit crowd. At least the cryptsy devs are involved in this coin, Kimoto clings to his cult of personality and only drops in on occasion to hype the supposed new features and raise the morale of the bag-holding cultists. In short, reporting problems with the wallet is a waste of time and so is that coin.

iBid     ▐     Decentralized Auctions on Blockchain    (    About us    Telegram   )
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬             AN  AUCTION    ❱   All auctions start at     $0

[  ◥   Google Play      ◥   App Store  ]   ██ SIGN UP ██        with no minimum reserve

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
eBit

Activity: 91
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 01:29:59 AM

I’m happy to see a discussion beginning on the branding of this coin. It looks like the discussion here is about whether to continue with BottleCaps as an end-of-world scenario coin catering to enthusiasts of the video game Fallout, or to begin to reach out to the broader audience of crypto enthusiasts with a totally new strategy and positioning.

I don’t want this fundamentally decent coin to just fade away and I’m sure I’m not the only one that’s absolutely frustrated and disgusted with the loss of market value after months of supporting the coin through mining and otherwise.

If we look at the positives of this coin, what we have are fast transaction times, automatic checkpointing, no forking issues, proof of stake that works, the ability to run strictly on proof of stake, and solid development support.  If we look at the negatives of this coin, its USD value is down 94% since July; its BTC value down 98%, there have been no recent forum posts from new members, there’s no demonstrated community effort, mining activity is at all time lows, and the trading on Cryptsy consists of mostly bots and autosells. 

I don’t deny the BottleCaps theme is a great concept for a coin, however I got involved here not because of that, but because of the technicals of the coin.  I remain unconvinced that the BottleCaps theme is one that can be appealing to many people outside of this Fallout enthusiast group.  I would really like to see this coin being adopted by a much wider audience, and unfortunately I think the only way we can make that happen is by starting with a name change.

To me, in terms of names, a Classical coin name makes the most sense for broad based adoption.  Remember, most of the world hasn’t even heard of BitCoin, and most of those who have aren’t aware of alternative coins.  As the terms BitCoin and even LiteCoin become more and more mainstream and part of everyday language, there is a psychological effect of association. Any name that sounds ‘like’ BitCoin instantly triggers a subconscious connection to what BitCoin is, and there is enormous value in that effect.

If you take a look at http://coinmarketcap.com right now and view the 10 coins with highest market capitalization, you may notice something.

Bitcoin
Litecoin
Peercoin
Namecoin
Novacoin
Feathercoin
Primecoin
WorldCoin
Terracoin
Mincoin

The top ten coins with the highest market value all have what I consider Classical CryptoCurrency names.  What I mean by Classical is a name which is most closely identified with BitCoin but not confused with BitCoin.

The main qualities of these names are that 10 of 10 include the word Coin, 7 of 10 have a one-syllable prefix, while the other 3 have a two-syllable prefix.

In my opinion, sticking to Classical Crypto Name for a coin name can have enormous broadband appeal and inherent value for some interesting psychological reasons. Renaming BottleCaps to CapCoin, for example, would follow in that Classical coin naming convention.

I’m not saying there’s anything remarkable about the name CapCoin, but rather that it would be a solid Classical name which could be a starting point for attracting investors, growing a community, and building a brand and infrastructure behind it.  My argument here is: Be Classical in naming, but remarkable in everything else.

Again, my reason for supporting a name change is that I think there is enormous potential for this coin, but only by appealing to a wider audience than just Fallout enthusiasts.  A change to CapCoin would be minimal but significant as the trading symbol could stay the same and traders could still refer to these as CAPs or CAP in chat. The coin’s origin as BottleCaps and links to Fallout would always be listed in the Wikipedia entry, but a new marketing strategy would have to be devised. Google searches for the coin would be unique and would always come up as the #1 listing.

Obviously a name change on its own won’t do much, and what this coin desperately needs is more of a community effort and organization. It takes an enormous amount of work to support a coin and we can’t expect Mullick to do development and everything else. To be serious, there needs to at least be a website, twitter account, facebook account and private forum.  I would hope there would be some interest in a regularly scheduled chat for building this community. The momentum has to start somewhere.

Just my thoughts for consideration.

BitcoinFX
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1720

https://youtu.be/DsAVx0u9Cw4 ... Dr. WHO < KLF

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2013, 01:44:57 AM

Yep. Great post. CapCoin is a good name. Simple and effective is often the best choice.

"Bitcoin OG" 1JXFXUBGs2ZtEDAQMdZ3tkCKo38nT2XSEp | Bitcoin logo™ Enforcer? | Bitcoin is BTC | CSW is NOT Satoshi Nakamoto | I Mine BTC, LTC, ZEC, XMR and GAP | BTC on Tor addnodes Project | Media enquiries : Wu Ming | Enjoy The Money Machine | "You cannot compete with Open Source" and "Cryptography != Banana" | BSV and BCH are COUNTERFEIT.
DrGoose

Activity: 93

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 01:51:59 AM
Last edit: November 10, 2013, 05:54:56 AM by DrGoose

I am all for a new name (and symbol). I definitely agree with Vivisector999, need to try and stay away from food named coins (and metals).
Anything that is used in the real world besides stuff that is of high value (diamonds, gold and so on), should not be used in the name.

Sadly, most common high value stuff relates to metal/rock/element... and it is overdone. A few are good names (I am thinking GoldCoin), but what is left just suck.

I also think the likely fall of many "high value natural stuff" cryptos will taint the others.

(IMHO)

===

Everybody: I would like to see a few more name proposal... even when not so good, it may help someone else to have a lighting bulb moment.

(Before posting I just saw the CapCoin proposal from eBit. Not bad. People, keep these coming).

DrGoose

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 02:19:53 AM

I like CapCoin. For now, this is the one that would get my vote.

A bit hard when said loud (might just be me, English is not my native language), but the shortening to cap in practice will just fix that nicely.

There is a bit of danger of becoming "crapcoin" from the detractors, but same can be said for anything starting with cap. Just playing devil's advocate.

Great post and thinking.

ISAWHIM

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 04:15:53 AM
Last edit: November 09, 2013, 04:47:42 AM by ISAWHIM

I like just CAP... (Not capcoins or capcoin as much... Because it looks like capricorn and I am sure google will show capricorn on auto-type and "suggest" correction searches.)

I still like Crowns or Cappuccinos... I believe coins minted back in the day were often called crowns, as they would have the kings-royal symbol stamped into the gold coins themselves, ones that matched a signet-ring. (English and British coins I believe.)

Yea, I am not sure I would exactly call what is happening a pump... as much as a "restoring to value"... There are less people selling themselves short. Not to mention, diff just rose again, so more people are coming back to mine it again. Mining at 851% of BTC value is not dead, by a long-shot. Since the best coins are only 1100% over BTC value, to mine. SXC (Sexcoin) was essentially dead, and now it is rising up above bottlecaps.

I am still up for buying Coffee, in exchange for bottlecaps... also, steam-game cards, paypal cards, ebay cards, amazon cards, or anything else REAL, for your coins. Just PM me with your wish, and I will work out a price. At these low values, I will sell at a loss to the value in dollars, to give you the items for equal value of cash. (Unlike others who charge $25 cash for $20 worth of coins or goods.)

Going to setup my cryptsy API for the website to get some live prices setup.

More random names...
- Community Coin
- Common Coin
- Com Coin
- 7970 Coin
- Hash Coin
- Not a coin
- Blue Coin
- Share Coin
- Trade Coin
- Dot Coin
- My Coin
- eCoin (Sort-of still like that sound... I think that was suggested already.)
- Luminites
- Simple Coin
- Smart coin
- Plunders
- Pents

If you can use it to buy something common, or simple, that everyone uses... it will get used. Using it for explicit things, sold by shady people, or price-rape shops, will only degrade the coin. No point in using coins if it costs you more than buying it with cash, with tax added, when they charge you 110% to 150% more than the value of cash.
Vivisector999

Activity: 541

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 05:26:15 AM

More Cap names

ElectroCAP  - Coin could be dark blue with a blue lighting flash
Virtucap
VirCap
webcap
Intercap
Cybercap
Dynacap
Capsium - Because these caps are hot
Capital
CapitalCoin
BlastingCap

LMAO, I must not have had enough coffee this morning.  It took my until now to notice the Cap in Cappuccino.

Check out AC3  @ https://ac3.io/
ISAWHIM

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 06:02:54 AM
Last edit: November 09, 2013, 06:28:55 AM by ISAWHIM

LMAO, I must not have had enough coffee this morning.  It took my until now to notice the Cap in Cappuccino.

See... Everyone needs CAPpuccinos... It's a Mafia thing!
Cappucchinos
Capechos
Capcioes
Capinos
Caps

I still find that name to be the most stimulating... Potential. (Coffee is a multi-billion dollar market. Why not slip a little market-aid into it.)

Sell a $10 Cap-n-go card, for drive-by payments...
Selling Mixed-blends of "single-cup" brews...
Selling Life-brews, for regular drinkers... (Monthly/weekly delivery of "daily-use" coffee grounds, ground fresh. Online ordering/gifting.)

This will never be BTC... No matter what it is called. But it can be multi-purpose. (Just as a coffee-house is often multi-purpose. "Dunkin-Doughnuts, Starbucks, Barns-n-Noble coffee-shops... The list goes on and on. It will not take me much effort to get them to accept more money/income... On a potential rising value coin. You already know the high of the largest holders. It will be there again.)

We have to slip into the back door, not bust through the front doors, without any armor.

I have $2000 up for stake... What are you{everyone holding} giving? (That is a polite question, not a rash reply.)

BTW, I spend as much on coffee as I do on cigs... I live off the stuff.

Besides, TP coin isn't as appealing, but it is a never-ending market... Tongue

UPDATE: I got the Cryptsy and MtGox API up and running. Now I just have to have it store and convert the value from the desired USD value of the selling items. Then I will start throwing-up some kind of page to link everything together. I will also have some ad-space, that you can list ads or whatever, for CAPs.
DrGoose

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 07:42:16 AM

May be caffeine addicted investors will be subconsciously motivated to get one cappuccino coin worth enough to buy a real cappuccino?   Cheesy

Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2013, 07:48:46 AM

so why not go with CapCoin? We could suggest names for ever but pretty much achieve nothing like this.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
ISAWHIM

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 07:50:14 AM

Oh, I can also mint some "Cap coins"... actual coins, like the BTC ones, as collector promotion tokens. (Not as digital wallets.)

I would not mint them myself, obviously... (Lol, mint, coffee.) However, I know a few good minters who once made all my pachislo machine tokens for a great deal.

Hell, even a coffee-cup, which they would see every day/morning... or in my case... all day long. Would be a good marketing stretch for the coins promotion.
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2013, 08:22:16 AM

Hopefully we can acquire more interest towards CAP.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
DrGoose

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 03:01:45 PM
Last edit: November 09, 2013, 03:13:47 PM by DrGoose

so why not go with CapCoin? We could suggest names for ever but pretty much achieve nothing like this.
I think we have some time on our hands because mullick is not available right now to do the poll.

I suggest to mullick to put to vote only names that had at least a thumb up from two other members.

Personally, I am now warming back to a bold branding (Cappuccino with coffee cup symbol) versus a conservative choice (CapCoin), so a couple more days might help. Might just be me waking up and needing a coffee...
digitalindustry

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

‘Try to be nice’

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2013, 03:54:16 PM

Yep. Great post. CapCoin is a good name. Simple and effective is often the best choice.

you are getting close BitcoinFX

very close.....

: D

- Twitter @Kolin_Quark
Vivisector999

Activity: 541

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 05:47:41 PM

If it was between the 2, I would definitely pick Cappuccino.  I like the branding ideas, and if your going to try to link to some industry, might as well be a nice big one.  Now to get Starbucks and Tim Hortons on our side.  lol.  CapCoins to me has no ring whatsoever.  Sure you can say the top 10 Cryptocurrencies are named with Coin at the end.  But 95% of all the currencies have Coin at the end, so the odds are in your favor.

Check out AC3  @ https://ac3.io/
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2013, 05:52:05 PM

I think we have some time on our hands because mullick is not available right now to do the poll.

I suggest to mullick to put to vote only names that had at least a thumb up from two other members.

Personally, I am now warming back to a bold branding (Cappuccino with coffee cup symbol) versus a conservative choice (CapCoin), so a couple more days might help. Might just be me waking up and needing a coffee...

There are other members of the CAP foundation that could do the same.
Where's BitJohn?

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
DrGoose

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 06:41:58 PM
Last edit: November 09, 2013, 10:08:23 PM by DrGoose

Name is one thing, but I wanted to a get a feel of the brand when used.

I did stitch a few common icons (from font-awesome) on top of Amazon (Edit: Look for the red prices in USD+Bitcoin+"Cap Branding" side by side).

Example with Cappuccino:

Example with BottleCap:

Example with a generic coin (not sure for CapCoin branding, so I went with the intent of keeping it simple):

For CapCoin, a letter with double-bar is likely a better fit, but I did not had time to put much thought into it (may be just adding two short bars within this coin icon will do... like euro but with the E closed into a circle). Edit: I did update with what could be a minimalist CapCoin icon.

ISAWHIM

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 08:10:49 PM

lol... lego deathstar...

I think you need a new image host... YOU might see your images, we see ads for lego deathstars...

Though, your wording of what the logo's look like are visual enough to get the idea. I have a few thoughts in my head also, but all my art programs are on my other disk partition.

Yea, starbucks and dunkin-doughnuts would be a far-stretch... but there are a lot of smaller coffee-shops that want something like a starbucks card, or a dunkin-doughnuts card, that is semi-universal. (EG, not just used at the small mom-n-pop-shop.)

I found some decent flavored coffee that can be purchased for about $6.50/lb, which is fresh-bean. Both mild-roast and deep-roast. On the upper end, there were a few that were freaking awesome, but they cost about $12-16/lb. The best bean I ever had cost almost $85/lb. But like I said... I could sell it at a loss, and still make money with CAP. Just because once it starts selling, those CAP's will be purchased and swiped-up from the exchange, or never listed on the exchange, since they will be used to buy things. Thus, the sell value will rise, making the ones I sold at a loss for, not be a loss now. (Unlike just buying coins, which has less of an impact.)
DrGoose

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 09:40:53 PM

YOU might see your images, we see ads for lego deathstars...

Look closely at the prices of the lego deathstars, you will see USD, Bitcoin and the "brand under test"  Wink

I did choose purposely an unrelated toy. Just to get the feel for the brand as a general purpose currency.

Let me know how you feel about it. Thanks.
ISAWHIM

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 03:28:06 AM
Last edit: November 10, 2013, 03:50:16 AM by ISAWHIM

Oh... lol.. I was like... what?

This is what I was thinking for a logo... (Brand logo) Sorry it is on a cheap paint program. My other stuff is on the other OS.

The logo's both say CAP in the logo, as the cup...

This would have come out better with my vector art program. Tongue But online paint was all I had, and a ball-mouse to draw freehand. It was the concept I was going for. Enough of a logo to disappear as a true cup, and still be "known"... EG, drawing it as the coffee-cup without the breaks that make the logo, for an icon or just a logo itself.

Slogans...

Cappucchinos: (Coffee, Beans, Caps, Grounds)
- "Get your fill of caps, stimulate the economy."
- "Top off your caps today, one cap is never enough."
- "Fast, hot, and easy to hold."
- "The only bean you mine."
- "Best way to wake someone up, is to give them some caps."
Pages: « 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 [74] 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 ... 219 »
  Print  

Jump to: