Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 01:51:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Security advice on setting up a gambling Bitcoin site  (Read 761 times)
BitFanatic (OP)

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 10:20:54 PM
Last edit: June 24, 2013, 06:46:18 PM by BitFanatic

EDIT: secure implementation decided thanks for the help!

Potential alternative option:

. Lightweight app on web which communicates directly to a database.
. Database holds a big list of readily created "receive addresses" by a wallet held off server.
. Off server process runs on my PC continuously checking the database for "work".

This approach is probably a lot safer and would also remove the need for a dedicated server. The downsides would be having to run a PC 24-7 at home which constantly checks for work. The off server process would create more addresses when needed and add them to the database (remotely). It would also send out bitcoins to winners and transfer the bulk of BTC to an offline wallet.

What would you say is the best approach? Regardless of implementation there will be a "hot wallet" and "cold wallet".

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bitvisit

Activity: 41

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 03:58:31 PM

Honestly, If you have to post questions all across the internet to learn how to secure your system, then a BitCoin gambling site may not be for you.

If I was programming a bitcoin gambling site I wouldn't share any of my sites inner workings anywhere online.

I would suggest asking specific questions such as, What is the benefits of writing to my database using PDO vs mysqli or mysql?

The other thing you could do is hire a professional to come in and secure your system for you.

Good luck.
BitFanatic (OP)

Activity: 17

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 06:55:53 PM

Honestly, If you have to post questions all across the internet to learn how to secure your system, then a BitCoin gambling site may not be for you.

If I was programming a bitcoin gambling site I wouldn't share any of my sites inner workings anywhere online.

I would suggest asking specific questions such as, What is the benefits of writing to my database using PDO vs mysqli or mysql?

The other thing you could do is hire a professional to come in and secure your system for you.

Good luck.

Thanks for the comments - I am asking at a high level as I want to make sure that this is as secure as possible.
The advice of hiring a professional is certainly something I am considering but this in itself poses risks!

Posting the questions isn't for learning - but deciding on the best approach. I am not new to computer security but this is my first Bitcoin related project.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: