Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 03:22:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sppliting/merging wallets  (Read 10714 times)
caveden (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004

View Profile
August 07, 2010, 10:13:25 PM

Hello,

Isn't there an easy way to split or merge different wallets?

I know I could transfer to myself, but that's laborious, and, well, there are the transaction fees somebody just pointed me in another topic.

Merging might be useful for someone that intends to use more than one computer to mint for bitcoins.

Splitting could be useful in order to protect your bitcoins. If you keep all of them in the same wallet and an attacker has access to it, he gets all your money! If you had split it and backed up your coins in different medias that are not connected to the internet, that reduces the risk.

Talking about protection, is built-in password protection for your wallet planned to be developed for the default client? It could be helpful too.

Thank you.

It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
BitLex

Activity: 532
Merit: 505

View Profile
August 07, 2010, 10:33:06 PM

dont care about transaction fees, i havent payed any so far (but i was lucky to get some) and did a lot of transactions.
just send them back and forth as u like, i doubt there's any way to "merge" wallet-files.

Insti

Activity: 294
Merit: 252

Firstbits: 1duzy

View Profile
August 08, 2010, 08:10:34 AM

There is not currently any way to split/merge wallet files.

I think that eventually someone will write the code to export/import Bitcoin address private keys and then you'll be able to split/join as much as you like.

Password protecting the wallet file is discussed in some threads here and will probably happen.

If you want to see either of these things happen soon either:
a) Code them yourself and contribute a patch
b) Set up a bounty (in BTC) for someone who will.
c) Wait.

(We probably need a public bug tracking/feature request system.)
lfm

Activity: 196
Merit: 104

View Profile
August 09, 2010, 11:57:18 AM

Isn't there an easy way to split or merge different wallets?

I know I could transfer to myself, but that's laborious, and, well, there are the transaction fees somebody just pointed me in another topic.

Merging might be useful for someone that intends to use more than one computer to mint for bitcoins.

Splitting could be useful in order to protect your bitcoins. If you keep all of them in the same wallet and an attacker has access to it, he gets all your money! If you had split it and backed up your coins in different medias that are not connected to the internet, that reduces the risk.

I just run a simple script once per minute if the balance is above zero send the balance to my central wallet/machine. works fine.
racerx

Activity: 37
Merit: 2

View Profile
October 10, 2010, 02:20:05 PM

I just run a simple script once per minute if the balance is above zero send the balance to my central wallet/machine. works fine.

Mind posting it up? guessing its just a  if ./bitcoind getinfo | grep blah then bitcoind ....

Cheers!
lfm

Activity: 196
Merit: 104

View Profile
October 12, 2010, 06:42:04 AM

Mind posting it up? guessing its just a  if ./bitcoind getinfo | grep blah then bitcoind ....

Cheers!

Code:
(
    while sleep 60
    do
        a=`../bin/bitcoind getbalance`
        if [ 0 -ne `echo "$a * 100 / 1" | bc` ]
        then
            ../bin/bitcoind sendtoaddress \
                      1LcDW5G7YfayfGJtGAqc7D3DGXThnnqJ5R  $a
        fi
    done
) &

just change the address for your own central machine or you will be sending your bitcoins to me.
racerx

Activity: 37
Merit: 2

View Profile
October 22, 2010, 09:39:38 PM

Thanks lfm,  I ended up making my own in the interim Smiley

http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1431.0

Code:
42 * * * * root if [ $(/usr/local/bin/bitcoind getbalance) = 0.00000000 ]; then echo "No Coins Generated"; else /usr/local/bin/bitcoind sendtoaddress 1AVgSRgQ4dF8Fwi3hfvFZ1uhnWoWGT25sR $(/usr/local/bin/bitcoind getbalance) $HOSTNAME $HOSTNAME; fi
bitcool
Legendary

Activity: 1441
Merit: 1000

Live and enjoy experiments

View Profile
February 09, 2011, 04:06:18 PM

Saw another discussion on a different thread: http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=426.0
I am wondering if this feature has been considered for new releases.
Gavin Andresen
Legendary
qt

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
February 09, 2011, 04:11:22 PM

(We probably need a public bug tracking/feature request system.)

The public bug tracking/feature request system is at:
 https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues

Vote up issues/bugs that are important to you there.

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
bitcool
Legendary

Activity: 1441
Merit: 1000

Live and enjoy experiments

View Profile
February 09, 2011, 05:33:16 PM

great, looks like this feature has been covered under: Treat wallet as a generic keystore
definitely will vote yes on this one.
Hal
VIP
expert

Activity: 314
Merit: 3853

View Profile
February 09, 2011, 06:16:50 PM

People talk about moving keys/addresses, but also it is important to move the transactions. Bitcoin is a transaction based system. Your keys authorize (sign) payments, but the payments actually come from the transactions you have received and which are in your wallet. If you're splitting off some keys into another wallet, you need to move the transactions that fund those keys, or they won't be able to do anything. (Should move address book and account entries too.)

Hal Finney
BitterTea

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 09, 2011, 08:42:02 PM

Really? I was under the impression that the transactions were in the block chain, and as long as you had the keys to those transactions you could claim them.
davout
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007

1davout

View Profile WWW
February 09, 2011, 09:15:53 PM

People talk about moving keys/addresses, but also it is important to move the transactions. Bitcoin is a transaction based system. Your keys authorize (sign) payments, but the payments actually come from the transactions you have received and which are in your wallet. If you're splitting off some keys into another wallet, you need to move the transactions that fund those keys, or they won't be able to do anything. (Should move address book and account entries too.)
Move is probably not the right word, what you mean is covered by the -rescan switch, which will be available from 3.20

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: