Bitcoin Forum
December 14, 2017, 01:41:56 PM *
News: Latest stable version of Bitcoin Core: 0.15.1  [Torrent].

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: We should build a seastead  (Read 1279 times)
HALLASTERA

Activity: 70

BELUGA PAY. Complete Mobile Point of Sale System

View Profile
November 25, 2017, 06:28:27 AM

The Bitcoin price is amazingly high, and it has stayed amazingly high for quite some time. I've been expecting it to crash for the last year, and I was especially expecting it to crash in response to the various B2X nonsense, but it's still quite high. These high prices may well be long-term-stable. Therefore, since we gentlemen are in fact the new wealthy elite, I think that the time has come to work toward a project that I know a lot of early Bitcoiners (including myself) have always dreamed of: a mostly-sovereign libertarian seastead. There must be a lot of Bitcoin millionaires who would be willing to work toward this.

The Seasteading Institute (TSI) has an example seastead design with a total estimated cost of $115 million with room for 270 people. So that'd be an average of $425,000 per person up-front, plus a yearly maintenance cost of $13,000 per person. IMO it should be fairly easy to fund something this size from Bitcoiners, and you could probably go even bigger/better. TSI has already done a ton of research/engineering work and built a ton of connections, so a project to actually build something like this would have a great head-start.

The main goal of seasteading is to have a jurisdiction with minimal-possible regulation and government involvement, creating a space for extreme innovation. Like Hong Kong, but even better. At least to start with, you'd probably have to officially be under some government's jurisdiction (via a special agreement with that government), but it will hopefully be possible to keep this very minimal. TSI has already had some success in negotiating this stuff with some governments. Another goal would be to create a good environment for the people living on the seastead: fast Internet (maybe via laser links), high security, overall good facilities, etc.

Who here is interested in participating in this, and what would you want a seastead to have before living on one? I'm not going to collect any money from people, but if there's enough interest (maybe $75 million or so), we can hire some people who actually know what they're doing and create a proper company with a board of directors, etc. Maybe it could even be made into an ICO, though I'm pretty skeptical of those in general.

I think you need to create ICO because most people who want to help good projects from kickstarter or real-life. Ofcourse most people not a millioners but have a strong desire to help anothers.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Phil_S

Activity: 79

View Profile
November 25, 2017, 05:19:25 PM

Seems complicated. Just find some island and develop it into something like this:

Duck Key, FL, population 443
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 2310

www.bitpools.com

View Profile WWW
November 26, 2017, 08:29:01 AM

Who here is interested in participating in this, and what would you want a seastead to have before living on one? I'm not going to collect any money from people, but if there's enough interest (maybe $75 million or so), we can hire some people who actually know what they're doing and create a proper company with a board of directors, etc. Maybe it could even be made into an ICO, though I'm pretty skeptical of those in general.

Theymos, glad you brought this up because this is exactly what is being worked on and has been in the works for the past year.

In January of this year The Seasteading Institute was able to sign a Memorandum of Understanding with the government of French Polynesia to build the world's first seastead in a protected lagoon of the main island of Tahiti granting a Special Economic Zone (SEZ) which would allow for some leeway on most economic laws while still being under the criminal code of French Polynesia. The Seasteading Institute, being a non-profit, split off a for profit company called Blue Frontiers ( http://www.blue-frontiers.com ).

Blue Frontiers has been working on this full speed ahead, I started volunteering with them in June and they have been laying the ground work for an ICO since then ( https://www.blue-frontiers.com/en/token/ ). The plan and what is currently going through the legal process is a Security token which would give each token holder shares of the Blue Frontiers company. We explored every other way of doing an ICO and it appears that following the letter of the law with the SEC is the best approach.

The ICO should go live around the same time the French Polynesia legislation goes through in Q1 2018.

Here is an updated image of the actual pilot seastead that will be produced, we have a firm from the Netherlands that has built floating structures before and a team of over 50 people working on every aspect of the seastead from food systems to energy, Internet, blockchain governance, etc.

https://www.facebook.com/Blue-Frontiers-255004088265639/

http://www.bitpools.com
Pool your bitcoins with others. Vote on solutions using the Bitcoin blockchain. Keep your bitcoins in your cold storage until you find a solution you like.
Links and Reviews of useful every day places to spend bitcoins: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=943143.0
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 2870

View Profile
November 29, 2017, 06:42:44 AM

Theymos, glad you brought this up because this is exactly what is being worked on and has been in the works for the past year.

Excellent news! I had heard about the French Polynesia thing, but I didn't know that construction was so close. That may be the first ICO I actually buy.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
freebutcaged

Activity: 490

View Profile
November 29, 2017, 07:16:59 AM

Who is going to manage the whole project? only if you create a special blockchain to track and record every single dollar, what it was used for and

Who used it, who received it etc. maybe if we wait for another month or so, I could be a part of this with my 4.1BTC.
BenOnceAgain

Activity: 91

1benvxenYcMx45rv52LpwdmxCQDRqy9fA

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2017, 02:59:39 PM

This is certainly a very promising idea, and I am quite sure that you'd be able to negotiate with a number of countries for favorable terms provided you offer them the prospect of stable GDP growth in some way.  Not necessarily taxation, but some economic tie-in to their economy, maybe by using local vendors for supplies or transport.  Countries are eager to do deals and joint ventures, and while this is a pretty extreme example of such an arrangement, I have no doubt you could get countries bidding for your business, similar to how Amazon recently set up a competition between cities to offer them the most favorable terms for their second headquarters.  There are many countries with coastlines around the world and if done properly you could essentially be granted "territory" status of the country, similar to how Guam, American Samoa, and Puerto Rico are for the United States.

As society moves forward, decentralizing everything, starting first with money as Bitcoin has made possible, but all legacy structures of power and control is very viable with technologies such as blockchain distributed ledger.  I'm going to look at the Seasteading Institute website closer and their spin-off Blue Frontiers.  This project in French Polynesia merits further review.

It's a great idea and please do keep posting your progress!

Visit https://www.btric.org to learn more about Blockchain Technology Research Innovations Corporation, a 501(c)(3) public charity devoted to incubating projects that help bring about the Decentralization Revolution!
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.