Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 10:47:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How do you fully secure your BTCs?  (Read 507 times)
Jafri101

Activity: 546
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 18, 2017, 12:36:03 PM

The best thing to avoid being hacked is try to have an account with 3,4security steps involved. like mobile number,pin,google authenticator. so that may help you and secure you much. Also dont post your address publically.
exstasie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1521

View Profile
November 18, 2017, 10:27:53 PM

The best thing to avoid being hacked is try to have an account with 3,4security steps involved. like mobile number,pin,google authenticator. so that may help you and secure you much.

This is true of an exchange or broker account. But if you are just holding coins, you shouldn't be thinking of your wallet as an "account." An account is something you hold with a (trusted) third party.

As such, the best way to secure your coins is to use 1) a hardware wallet like TREZOR or Ledger, or 2) an air-gapped PC setup where your private keys are kept offline. You can secure a wallet like Electrum with 2FA, but IMO, keeping the wallet connected to the internet is more of a security threat to you than lack of 2FA.

Also dont post your address publically.

I think this is more of a privacy issue than anything else.

xBitHodler

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 18, 2017, 11:12:59 PM

Blockchain.info wallet is not safe, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. If you can't afford buying a hardware wallet then I would recommend you to use a software wallet. Unlike the web wallet, software wallets such as Electrum or Bitcoin Core give you full control of your private keys and they don't send it anywhere else. You can even use them offline!
jekjekman

Activity: 378

View Profile
November 18, 2017, 11:37:59 PM

How do you make your Blockchain.info accounts fully secure if you want to do a long-term investment in BTC?

Possible risks I think that could happen:
1. Big hack and you lose your coins. E.g, Mt.gox a few years ago.
2. Government seizure and you lose your coins. E.g, BTC-e a few months ago.
3. Small hack and you lose your coins. E.g, someone somehow hacks your wallet.

There may be other risks too that I can't think of right now.

So, how do you guys make absolutely sure that your coins are 100% safe?
Would love to know the steps you take to guarantee your coins' safety - esp if you have Blockchain.info wallet.

Thanks!

It seems that you answered your own question though so what is the point of a long term investment of your BTC with Blockchain.info if you can do it in a desktop wallet or hardware wallet that you have the own right to preserve your private keys to avoid the possible risks that you think may happen.

It is much better to have your own wallet that have your own private keys because it is a must and so easy to make, you can say that your wallet is 100% safe if you know to yourself that follow the guidelines in securing like never store the important seeds and private keys online or in your desktop, Bitcoin was never been hack though it is just only the exchanges of Bitcoin that is centralize by people who made it.
noel2123

Activity: 280

View Profile
November 18, 2017, 11:44:46 PM

I am securing my bitcoins my making sure that I am the only person who knows my private key , I usually store my bitcoins on a paper wallet it is not costly and also help me greatly to secure my coins.
sathvik112

Activity: 294

View Profile
November 18, 2017, 11:55:53 PM

How do you make your Blockchain.info accounts fully secure if you want to do a long-term investment in BTC?

Possible risks I think that could happen:
1. Big hack and you lose your coins. E.g, Mt.gox a few years ago.
2. Government seizure and you lose your coins. E.g, BTC-e a few months ago.
3. Small hack and you lose your coins. E.g, someone somehow hacks your wallet.

There may be other risks too that I can't think of right now.

So, how do you guys make absolutely sure that your coins are 100% safe?
Would love to know the steps you take to guarantee your coins' safety - esp if you have Blockchain.info wallet.

Thanks!

I much prefer giving priority in what type of wallet we choose to store our bitcoin, if you are choosing any online wallet i would suggest you to go with two time or three time authentication for logging in your account like Gmail-authentication, Mobile-authentication, etc.
You can find these authentication options at settings in  your wallet. When ever you wish to log-in to your wallet you get a secret code to your mobile and gmail accounts
to verify yourself, once the details matched then you will be authenticated and you can login to your bitcoin wallet successfully.
Ensure when you are typing your wallet URL you find https with a green color and hold the safety.
I would strongly recommend to make analysis about cold storage, paper wallet, nano ledger s etc. these helps better to store your bitcoin safely and these are fully secured.
Online wallets even does are like manipulated but not the cold storage wallets.
kiddeon123

Activity: 291
Merit: 101

https://icoenergy.org/

View Profile
November 19, 2017, 12:17:22 AM

In my opinion bitcoin wallets even if it is online, are safe because bitcoin uses Cryptography and several complicated algorithms that can only be decoded by a certain key or password, mostly tge reason why some accounts are hacked is because of the user itselt, they unintentionally share there private keys or password to others. But if you want to invest for a ling tine in bitcoin. I suggest you but it on a hardware wallet! I think it has the highest securith among the wallets available

Tipsters

Activity: 630
Merit: 251

View Profile
November 19, 2017, 02:41:10 AM

I doubt anyone will fully tell you their number one secret. Some of the replies you got here are maybe just a pinch of what they are actually doing. If they tell you the whole of it, then their 100% secured Bitcoin will never be 100% again. People who owns a large number of Bitcoin never tell anyone about their wallet or Bitcoin for security.
Samsungnumbertwo09

Activity: 60

View Profile
November 19, 2017, 02:46:34 AM

My wallet is securable and i dont see any thing that will bother me because i am worried about my btc but it is very secured and i know it will not happen that my btc will be scammed, because my bitcoin wallet is safe to use and proven or tested.
drwhobox

Activity: 756
Merit: 133

- hello doctor who box

View Profile
November 19, 2017, 02:50:42 AM

Thee best place to sote your bitcoin with full security is make a vanity gen address and store the private key to a paper wallet and some funds to your vanity gen address. But, Blockchain.info i would call it secured from hacks and you do hold your own wallet no one can touch that exept if you share your private key to someone. Put a 2 factor autenticator to make it more secured.
FIFA worldcup

Activity: 1134
Merit: 105

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2017, 02:58:16 PM

Using online wallets is a big risky task for everyone who is going to use bitcoin as long term. So maybe offline wallet or hardware wallet would better for long term investors.  Just 100$ can made your wallet more secure to being hacked. You'll surely feel so regret after hacked and thought why earth on you not transfer your all bitcoin on your offline wallets.
iqlimasyadiqa
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1011

View Profile
November 22, 2017, 03:03:27 PM

Thee best place to sote your bitcoin with full security is make a vanity gen address and store the private key to a paper wallet and some funds to your vanity gen address. But, Blockchain.info i would call it secured from hacks and you do hold your own wallet no one can touch that exept if you share your private key to someone. Put a 2 factor autenticator to make it more secured.
That's the best way to secure the Bitcoin we have. The features of private keys are very important because then we can get a strong security over the Bitcoin we have. So make sure we save Bitcoin in the wallet that has the feature, I'm sure the private key security will make everyone become much more secure. I will feel much better when I can get satisfactory results and maintain security is an important part in maintaining my future.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: