Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:47:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Overclock AntMiner S9 14th/s  (Read 3046 times)
Abadon (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 17, 2017, 11:32:34 PM

Hello,

I have AntMinters S9 14TH/s model.

It is working very well, but I think that miner can produce much more hash power than 14Th/s.

I know that old models have "Advanced settings" tab where owner can change the frequency of the chips, to change fan speed and etc.

Unfortunately my miner does not have such option. So I used the trick explained here

Now I see "Advanced Settings" and I can change the Frequency betwen 100 and 1000Mhz.

My current Frequency(avg) is 626.61MHz.

The question is what will happens if I increase the Frequency to 650 or 700Mhz?

I afraid that the miner can die.

In that worst case scenario can I restore the default frequency with hardware reset button ? or if the new frequency is not OK, I will lost the whole device.

Thank you in advance!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
taserz

Activity: 799
Merit: 293

Created AutoTune to saved the planet! ~USA

View Profile
November 17, 2017, 11:37:25 PM

worst case scenario the chips die and you now have a paperweight.

Autotune Firmware for S19 and S19j! Overclock, Underclock, AutoTuning. Asic.to The MOON Increased hashrate, improved power efficiency 30w/TH up to 85th/s!!Mining bitcoin since 2011 • Best nerd decision of my life
BitMaxz
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 2907

Block halving is coming.

View Profile WWW
November 17, 2017, 11:46:58 PM

I never heard to increase more than 650Mhz possible that your miner could not run properly or getting error while running it with higher than 650Mhz and can be damaged any parts or chips of your hardware. Honestly 650Mhz frequency is not recommended..
Overclocking can be really damage your hardware and i think much better to use the default setup instead if you wanted to run your hardware for too long and for safety purposes.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
ASICWorld

Activity: 42

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2017, 02:02:12 PM

Overclock S9 is possible. Note you will damage your chips if you get wrong and will kill miner!
Best to leave set at standard with overclocking issues can show more HW/Error /Reject +more issue can happen.

Stick to standard unless you are feeling brave.

Asicworld
Abadon (OP)

Activity: 3

View Profile
November 19, 2017, 10:03:40 AM

Overclock S9 is possible. Note you will damage your chips if you get wrong and will kill miner!
Best to leave set at standard with overclocking issues can show more HW/Error /Reject +more issue can happen.

Asicworld

I have previous experience with overclocking CPUs and GPUs. I think that I have all prereuisits for overclocking - reliable 2000W power supply, cold place (15 Celsius degree or less) where the minner is placed. I will monitor the temperature of the chips and fan speeds.

My main fear is Do I have a way to return the old frequency to the device in case it does not work?

For example when I overclock CPUs I can make hardware reset with jumpers of the motherboard bios setting. As result the device start wotking normally with default settings.

Can I do the same with AntMiner or if the configuration is wrong the whole miner will die without way to restore default configuration?

ASICWorld

Activity: 42

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2017, 01:07:56 PM

when you overclock you can change the values back if you have an issue but note if you damage the chips then you have a very expensive paperweight.
leowonderful
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1129

Bitcoin FTW!

View Profile
November 19, 2017, 04:37:03 PM

I'm also pretty sure overclocking Antminers with an active warranty voids it. Shipping costs and return costs for Bitmain are already expensive on their own, and it's really not worth overclocking an S9 when it's already good enough. You'll just end up with a brick that's barely salvageable.
fanatic26

Activity: 756
Merit: 560

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 04:32:36 PM

Overclocking bitmain hardware is flat out stupid. You will kill your miner, then you will come to the forum and whine about it.

This isnt a PC, it doesnt process data like a PC, you dont overclock it like a PC.

Stop buying industrial miners, running them at home, and then complaining about the noise.
BitMaxz
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 2907

Block halving is coming.

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2017, 11:55:18 PM

Asicworld

I have previous experience with overclocking CPUs and GPUs. I think that I have all prereuisits for overclocking - reliable 2000W power supply, cold place (15 Celsius degree or less) where the minner is placed. I will monitor the temperature of the chips and fan speeds.

My main fear is Do I have a way to return the old frequency to the device in case it does not work?

For example when I overclock CPUs I can make hardware reset with jumpers of the motherboard bios setting. As result the device start wotking normally with default settings.

Can I do the same with AntMiner or if the configuration is wrong the whole miner will die without way to restore default configuration?

Yes there is a reset that can restore  default your s9 miner you can found  the reset near to ethernet but first you need to wait for 2 minutes afte bootup before you can reset it tp default config..
There is also other way to reset that can be called soft reset just login to control panel and goto upgrade  you can see the reset to default and perform the reset..
Hope that it can help you to reset your hardware if ever you made a wrong setup then just do a reset... make sure that everything is fixed in the socket because there are sometimes having a firmware fault when resetting..

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Sandal_Hat

Activity: 462
Merit: 118

View Profile
December 02, 2017, 06:54:34 AM

Hello,

I have AntMinters S9 14TH/s model.

It is working very well, but I think that miner can produce much more hash power than 14Th/s.

I know that old models have "Advanced settings" tab where owner can change the frequency of the chips, to change fan speed and etc.

Unfortunately my miner does not have such option. So I used the trick explained here

Now I see "Advanced Settings" and I can change the Frequency betwen 100 and 1000Mhz.

My current Frequency(avg) is 626.61MHz.

The question is what will happens if I increase the Frequency to 650 or 700Mhz?

I afraid that the miner can die.

In that worst case scenario can I restore the default frequency with hardware reset button ? or if the new frequency is not OK, I will lost the whole device.

Thank you in advance!

What if I use those settings to underclock it? Will that work. Will it void my warranty or not?

Selling 100 dollar coupons (8units expire 11th June, 14 units expire 1st july) and 125 dollar coupon (2 unit exp 30th June). Selling at 20% of value
cableiso

Activity: 244
Merit: 280

View Profile
December 02, 2017, 01:36:00 PM

The new firmware already ramps up the speed until it gets hardware errors, and uses that as Max speed.

That's what's happening at startup when the fans Max out, it's called singleboardtest in the Linux system.

There would be no advantage to trying to set the frequency higher, because your chips would just generate bad shares and hardware errors.

One thing you can do is let it run a bit to warm up, and reboot to do another singleboardtest when warm.  You might get a few more percent.
Sandal_Hat

Activity: 462
Merit: 118

View Profile
December 03, 2017, 04:56:00 PM

The new firmware already ramps up the speed until it gets hardware errors, and uses that as Max speed.

That's what's happening at startup when the fans Max out, it's called singleboardtest in the Linux system.

There would be no advantage to trying to set the frequency higher, because your chips would just generate bad shares and hardware errors.

One thing you can do is let it run a bit to warm up, and reboot to do another singleboardtest when warm.  You might get a few more percent.

Any good way to underclock it? I prefer if they run abit cooler than 77-90 degrees throughout the day

Selling 100 dollar coupons (8units expire 11th June, 14 units expire 1st july) and 125 dollar coupon (2 unit exp 30th June). Selling at 20% of value
cableiso

Activity: 244
Merit: 280

View Profile
December 03, 2017, 04:59:04 PM

I couldn't find a way to underclock, even hacking the configuration files directly.    I hear you can install a fixed frequency firmware, and you are free to choose a slower one.  But I never tried it and the switch over would take a bit of time
shefkk

Activity: 12

View Profile
January 17, 2018, 01:50:58 AM

so anyone tried it yet?  thinking of changing the frequency from 650 to 800....
i tried it on my antminer L3+ and it upped my hash rate by 20%...
havent tried the S9s yet... looking for someone braver than me so i can follow.

MinerMEDIC

Activity: 166
Merit: 82

EET/NASA intern 2013 Bitmain/MicroBT/IPC cert

View Profile
January 17, 2018, 02:24:13 AM

Personally, I applaud anyone brave enough to void their warrantee and risk miner meltdown to advance knowledge and push the boundaries of what's possible. It's just this kind of spirit that made the cool S7 mods a reality.

---Hi, I'm Juergen "Jay" & I TEACH and REPAIR ASIC HASHBOARDS-- Purdue AS EET -- MinerMEDIC is NOW FREELANCE in Chicago!
Raymond_B

Activity: 504
Merit: 71

Just Getting Started...

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2018, 02:28:45 AM

Let's say you miraculously find a way to overclock it by 20%, but reduce the life by 50% (not to mention wrecking stability). What have you accomplished?

MinerMEDIC

Activity: 166
Merit: 82

EET/NASA intern 2013 Bitmain/MicroBT/IPC cert

View Profile
January 17, 2018, 02:35:52 AM

Let's say you miraculously find a way to overclock it by 20%, but reduce the life by 50% (not to mention wrecking stability). What have you accomplished?
Our collective knowledge to 20% might be a little too much? Why discount the value of knowledge. Should we really be policing others, protecting them and their hardware from themselves like a nanny? I feel it goes against the spirit of the Freedom and independence crypto currency promises to fortify.

---Hi, I'm Juergen "Jay" & I TEACH and REPAIR ASIC HASHBOARDS-- Purdue AS EET -- MinerMEDIC is NOW FREELANCE in Chicago!
Raymond_B

Just Getting Started...

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2018, 02:40:13 AM

Our collective knowledge to 20% might be a little too much, Why discount the value of knowledge.

Either that sarcasm was completely over my head (which is most likely the case) or I should have included a disclaimer that I was making numbers up Smiley

shefkk

Activity: 12

View Profile
January 17, 2018, 02:45:52 AM

Legit - i tried it... 20% on L3+

Stock          384M @ 500 mh/s
Overclocked 462M @ 600 mh/s

earnings reflect that too....

and well to the person asking what if i increase output by 20% and decrease life by 50%... i would say they become almost useless with difficulty change in the latter 50% of their life at which point there is more efficient and powerful machinery.... please tell me if i am wrong - i AM still new to this... and did that guy ever overclock his machine?
Raymond_B

Just Getting Started...

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2018, 02:50:36 AM

Legit - i tried it... 20% on L3+

Stock          384M @ 500 mh/s
Overclocked 462M @ 600 mh/s

earnings reflect that too....

and well to the person asking what if i increase output by 20% and decrease life by 50%... i would say they become almost useless with difficulty change in the latter 50% of their life at which point there is more efficient and powerful machinery.... please tell me if i am wrong - i AM still new to this... and did that guy ever overclock his machine?

If you brick it you lose a lot of miner's resale value. Go check out what S7s are going for on Ebay. I made those % numbers up, just as a way to illustrate that overclocking, to me, appears to be a short term goal because you sacrifice the life of the equipment and most likely completely void the warranty. I am sure Bitmain can tell an overclocked burned up miner easily.

On edit: Because, as pointed out, in today's market even a busted miner can sell. Just not as much Smiley

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: