Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 05:34:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Official FutureBit Moonlander 2 Driver and Support Thread  (Read 71312 times)
Buddy_hell

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 13, 2018, 09:21:51 AM

HI I hope you are well.
I was hoping for some help/ info. I am new at this.
I purchased 2 moonlanders 2 Iand  have managed to get my two Moonlanders going using your instructions (they are running on a Pi 3 externally powered hub) and i can monitor them.
So far I have tried to mine nyancoin from multiple pools and also XVG.
When I first execute the BFGMiner  i get them mining with  thered led flashing, however, within a minute or two the difficulty on the block goes up and my moonlanders seem to stop mining, green led ok, no red led I have tried the lower difficulty ports on the sites and I have tried changing the difficulty in the start shell script too.

Do you have any ideas?? Are they still mining or have they been frozen out. Is there a work around.

any info would be great

these are cool little machines

thanks

I found that if the MIners are pointing at vardiff ports and they start to change th difficulty often the ML2s will slowly decrease hashrate to 0 and not auto-restart. So i spend my time trying to find the right dfficulty on the port to match the miner and get enough shares to be meaningful. Try as low as you can go on XVG and look for a fixed diff that works on Nyancoin and see if that helps stability.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
pyroandy

Activity: 88

View Profile
March 13, 2018, 10:19:16 AM

Is there any limit to how many can be run off a Pi3b with a powered hub?

Not really, just whatever system limit for USB devices is, which is probably around 255. Im sure the pi would start choking way before then.

I guess that is my question, at what point would the pi start to choke? 10, 20, 50?
scoobysportD

Activity: 105
Merit: 1

View Profile
March 13, 2018, 11:17:40 AM
Last edit: March 13, 2018, 02:45:27 PM by scoobysportD

After receiving a better powered hub today i've started tuning the 3 moonlanders which i currently have.

They are all running stable at 832 clock speed. I've copied the setting for core voltage and memory so all 3 are set in the same way.

HW error rates are at 0.38, 0.06 and 0.94% so thats nice and they are hashing along at ~4.70mh/s each. Quite happy with that figure.

One 'issue' though, 2 of the MLD's reach a temperature of about 51-54 degrees celsius. The third goes up to 72-75 degrees celsius. I've already ordered some external fans so that should bring it down a couple of degrees but other than that, any suggestion as to why 1 of them is running so hot?

Thanks for any ideas Smiley

Check the back heatsink, it could have not been applied correctly. Just put some pressure on it and make sure its stuck on there well.

Will check that! Also will try a micro adjustment of the core voltage to see if it'll stay running stable and a bit cooler. Am going to get 5 more of the moonlanders, quite pleased with their performance overall Smiley

UPDATE:
Well, tried to turn back voltage a bit, that was a no go Tongue The MLD didn't function anymore at all. Have pressed the heatsink a bit more but did not make much of a difference. Have placed 2 usb fans at the moment so that will help i guess.

Besides that, they are currently drawing 1.8-1.85 amp. Would it be detrimental to the MLD's to up the voltage a bit more and the clock and have them come up to 2-2.1 amp? (In terms of lifespan)
soccerdude71

Activity: 24

View Profile
March 13, 2018, 04:29:17 PM

Hello,

I have a couple MLDs that NO MATTER what combination of frequency or pot adjusting I do, they don't get over 2.5 mh.  I'm really frustrated....  What can I do??

Sounds like your hub is not providing enough power. Try plugging one at a time and run it at stock 600mhz or below. If it works fine then its a power issue.

I wish that was the problem.  My hub is providing 2.4a per slot.  I tried connecting them both solo.  Same exact results... 
dem0nlord

Activity: 41

View Profile
March 14, 2018, 02:50:25 AM

Checking in, I just leave them alone and let them do their thing. Still rock solid on the 4 Anker hubs.   Smiley

https://image.ibb.co/eGQcpc/moonlanders.jpg
BarTeam

Activity: 313
Merit: 250

HGPUPC addicted!

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2018, 05:02:46 AM

Checking in, I just leave them alone and let them do their thing. Still rock solid on the 4 Anker hubs.   Smiley

Great stability. How high you got in freq and Vcore? And temps?
pyroandy

View Profile
March 14, 2018, 01:54:07 PM

Seems like an inline USB power injector could be useful for a lot of these setups because of the power needed. Has anybody seen a good one? A quick google search did not come up with any.
thestockfadi

Activity: 48

View Profile
March 14, 2018, 02:11:20 PM
Last edit: March 14, 2018, 02:26:49 PM by thestockfadi

I've had the same 6 USB sticks running with no problems for the most part. .However this morning one of my sticks refuses to hash. . The green light is solid but the red light doesn't flash or turn on . .the BFG mining GUI doesn't even recognize the stick? And ideas on what happened? They've all been on the same 2 pluggable powered USB hubs. . I remember a while back 1 of the sticks stopped hashing for some unknown reason, but it worked again . .I don't remember what I did to get it working. .Now I'm having the same issue . . .I did a re-start of my computer.  but I'm still stuck.

EDIT: I figured it out! somehow the device manager had the port turned off . . Not sure how it happened . .Strange!
aballen

Activity: 73

View Profile
March 14, 2018, 07:47:32 PM

I have a noisy one, and it recently got REALLY LOUD.

Does anyone know where to get a replacement fan?
scoobysportD

View Profile
March 15, 2018, 12:24:14 PM
Last edit: March 15, 2018, 02:09:09 PM by scoobysportD

Seems like an inline USB power injector could be useful for a lot of these setups because of the power needed. Has anybody seen a good one? A quick google search did not come up with any.

Never seen one of those, especially one powerfull enough to feed multiple sticks.

This is my setup at the moment, got 3 moonlanders, waiting for 5 more to come. I placed them in an old boiler room at my workplace, which is cool basically all year round. Placed fans for extra breeze and to be able to run them at a bit higher voltage later on when i get the 5 new sticks.

I'm using a standard laptop with windows 10 home, 2 non powered hub for the fans and 1 sipolar 10 port powered hub for the moonlanders, this one: http://www.sipolar.com/page172.html?product_id=18&product_category=17 It comes with a 12v 10A power supply. I'm gonna stick with 8 moonlanders just so i won't max out the power supply or the hub. (All ports get 2.1 amp on this hub.) They've also got version for 20 ports with a 5v 40A power supply or even 30 ports and carts so you might want to check out their products, strongest what i could find for a decent price and with ALL ports getting 2.1amp instead of only 1-3 which is the case with most hubs.

I'm using 90 degree angled USB connectors so i can place the sticks directly in the hub and then the next one at an angle, because with the fans they sticks are just too thick + it will allow for much more airflow and cooling. All sticks are currently hashing at ~4.7Mh/s and HW errors are around .3-.5 usually, one stick is performing a bit less and fluctuates a bit but comes down after a while.

When i get the 5 extra sticks i'll be finetuning them more to get the most out of them.

PS; these fans are kinda crappy... I'd suggest plcing them on a separate powered USB hub. They are screwing up the usb connections with the computer.
scoobysportD

View Profile
March 15, 2018, 12:47:15 PM

I have a noisy one, and it recently got REALLY LOUD.

Does anyone know where to get a replacement fan?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=20x20+mm+5v+fan
pyroandy

View Profile
March 15, 2018, 01:01:04 PM

Never seen one of those, especially one powerfull enough to feed multiple sticks.

This is my setup at the moment, got 3 moonlanders, waiting for 5 more to come. I placed them in an old boiler room at my workplace, which is cool basically all year round. Placed fans for extra breeze and to be able to run them at a bit higher voltage later on when i get the 5 new sticks.
https://myalbum.com/photo/jOJ07aNzc21F/540.jpg

I'm using a standard laptop with windows 10 home, 2 non powered hub for the fans and 1 sipolar 10 port powered hub for the moonlanders, this one: http://www.sipolar.com/page172.html?product_id=18&product_category=17 It comes with a 12v 10A power supply. I'm gonna stick with 8 moonlanders just so i won't max out the power supply or the hub. (All ports get 2.1 amp on this hub.) They've also got version for 20 ports with a 5v 40A power supply or even 30 ports and carts so you might want to check out their products, strongest what i could find for a decent price and with ALL ports getting 2.1amp instead of only 1-3 which is the case with most hubs.

I'm using 90 degree angled USB connectors so i can place the sticks directly in the hub and then the next one at an angle, because with the fans they sticks are just too thick + it will allow for much more airflow and cooling. All sticks are currently hashing at ~4.7Mh/s and HW errors are around .3-.5 usually, one stick is performing a bit less and fluctuates a bit but comes down after a while.

When i get the 5 extra sticks i'll be finetuning them more to get the most out of them.

PS; these fans are kinda crappy... I'd suggest plcing them on a separate powered USB hub. They are screwing up the usb connections with the computer.

I was thinking more along the lines of one 3 amp injector per ML2. That way you could use any USB port and supply the power separately.
I have read they can draw up to 2.5 amps which you can not get out of any normal USB port.

I think someone posted somewhere that some of these USB powered fans make so much electrical noise it actually interferes with the USB communications with the ML2. This may be the cause of some of the slow dropouts of the moonlanders people have been experiencing. It might be worth an investigation.
AltScope

Activity: 714
Merit: 252

View Profile
March 15, 2018, 01:06:34 PM

ordered 5 of these today to attach to my odroid XU4 which is similar to a raspberry pi but usb3 and 8 core, im ordering a nice powered usb hub to go with it.
are there any quirks to the software either running or building under an arm processor running linux that I should know of before getting frustrated?

scoobysportD

View Profile
March 15, 2018, 02:08:29 PM

I was thinking more along the lines of one 3 amp injector per ML2. That way you could use any USB port and supply the power separately.
I have read they can draw up to 2.5 amps which you can not get out of any normal USB port.

I think someone posted somewhere that some of these USB powered fans make so much electrical noise it actually interferes with the USB communications with the ML2. This may be the cause of some of the slow dropouts of the moonlanders people have been experiencing. It might be worth an investigation.
I've been trying to find what you mean but can not seem to get any results, not on google, nor amazon, nor aliexpress etc. Have you found these anywhere? Would be interesting to see.

You might be on to something with the fans. I've just put a separate powered usb hub on them for now and noticed that when they were plugged into the 2.4amp ports, they'd be resetting constantly. Placing them in the 1amp ports, and they work splendid! So it could be that the cheap fans just won't work properly with usb 3 or hi powered ports.
lok8nusa

Activity: 254
Merit: 11

Call 811 before you dig

View Profile
March 15, 2018, 02:19:01 PM

I've run a Moonlander on one of these, plugged into the front of my desktop machine. Worked well.
https://www.amazon.com/Eyeboot-Powered-Extender-Splitter-adapter/dp/B07281L7QC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1521123448&sr=8-1&keywords=eyeboot

Coining bits since 2017 
Kano Pool is the BEST BTC mining pool.
pyroandy

View Profile
March 15, 2018, 02:37:04 PM

https://myalbum.com/photo/jOJ07aNzc21F/540.jpg

I've been trying to find what you mean but can not seem to get any results, not on google, nor amazon, nor aliexpress etc. Have you found these anywhere? Would be interesting to see.

You might be on to something with the fans. I've just put a separate powered usb hub on them for now and noticed that when they were plugged into the 2.4amp ports, they'd be resetting constantly. Placing them in the 1amp ports, and they work splendid! So it could be that the cheap fans just won't work properly with usb 3 or hi powered ports.

I have not been able to find something premade. The closest I have seen is for running an external hard drive on a pi but its still only good for 1 amp. I think I may have to make something more suitable for our needs.
scoobysportD

View Profile
March 15, 2018, 06:19:56 PM

I've run a Moonlander on one of these, plugged into the front of my desktop machine. Worked well.
https://www.amazon.com/Eyeboot-Powered-Extender-Splitter-adapter/dp/B07281L7QC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1521123448&sr=8-1&keywords=eyeboot
That only puts out 1.5amp per port according to the specs, which is not enough to get everything out of the moonlanders.
scoobysportD

View Profile
March 15, 2018, 06:28:35 PM

I have not been able to find something premade. The closest I have seen is for running an external hard drive on a pi but its still only good for 1 amp. I think I may have to make something more suitable for our needs.
I think the one i linked is one of the best options, or this one:
https://www.eyeboot.com/19-port-40a-usb3-hub.html

Getting a hub that will supply 3amp per port would be very nice though.
jstefanop (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2060
Merit: 1385

View Profile
March 15, 2018, 08:31:12 PM

Great stability. How high you got in freq and Vcore? And temps?

He's running max frequency at that hashrate.

Good to know that my design can handle max frequency for so long without blowing up  Grin

Project Apollo: A Pod Miner Designed for the Home https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4974036
FutureBit Moonlander 2 USB Scrypt Stick Miner: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2125643.0
LTC:LX5vpxrQE4eLRLPobKwZhw2comkKFCh3p4 - BTC:14w9Lea6kdVzspJk8TQRe7qSYu9LhzJJsh
pyroandy

View Profile
March 15, 2018, 10:23:50 PM

I think the one i linked is one of the best options, or this one:
https://www.eyeboot.com/19-port-40a-usb3-hub.html

Getting a hub that will supply 3amp per port would be very nice though.

Yes, it would, even that eyebolt says its only good for 2 amps per port.
Pages: « 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 »
  Print  

Jump to: