Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 11:05:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 ... 108 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Official FutureBit Moonlander 2 Driver and Support Thread  (Read 71312 times)
aballen

Activity: 73
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 26, 2017, 12:21:37 AM

has anyone figured out an optimal difficulty for the moonlander?

try to double the worker difficulty pool side..
what i found is if its too low, the usb gets saturated somehow and it cant keep up..

If the 'default' difficulty comes up as (say) 62m, do I then specify  ,d=62m  or ,d=62  (in this case, to double, 128m or 128)??   I actually had the impression that the ASIC is using a constant low internal difficulty and the driver takes care of adjusting the results (submitting to) the pool difficulty. Hence the red lights flash equally rapid no matter what the pool difficulty is??? (earlier post by jstefanop).
im not sure how to calculate scrypt worker diff, but its multiplied.. so 62m would be like d=4096 or something. that might actually be too high..
anyways yes the red lights flash on diff 1, which is internal.. only the yellow lights flash when a worker diff share is found. this is what's transmitted to the pool.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
lennyNO

Activity: 76

View Profile
December 26, 2017, 12:48:38 AM

what i found is if its too low, the usb gets saturated somehow and it cant keep up..

im not sure how to calculate scrypt worker diff, but its multiplied.. so 62m would be like d=4096 or something. that might actually be too high..
anyways yes the red lights flash on diff 1, which is internal.. only the yellow lights flash when a worker diff share is found. this is what's transmitted to the pool.

I went all the way up to 500m (normally the starting value with vardiff), d=32875 or so, but it did not help, still getting the same problem.
I also tried lower and lower frequencies (not changing the core/mem voltages), at 600Mhz no problem, at 832Mhz no problem, at 856 problem but took some time, at 876, 900Mhz: problem.
I looked at the source code and I also enabled debugging, but the latter did not help me much. Unless jstefanop pitches in I need to look more closely at the source code. But as long as I am running with 10.5 MLD I won't be messing around too much.
aarons6
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

View Profile
December 26, 2017, 01:06:36 AM

I went all the way up to 500m (normally the starting value with vardiff), d=32875 or so, but it did not help, still getting the same problem.
I also tried lower and lower frequencies (not changing the core/mem voltages), at 600Mhz no problem, at 832Mhz no problem, at 856 problem but took some time, at 876, 900Mhz: problem.
I looked at the source code and I also enabled debugging, but the latter did not help me much. Unless jstefanop pitches in I need to look more closely at the source code. But as long as I am running with 10.5 MLD I won't be messing around too much.

so 10 works but 11 doesn't? sounds strange.. it could be somehow related to the usb chip in the hub?
bucketofsocks

Activity: 83
Merit: 11

View Profile
December 26, 2017, 01:54:09 AM

I got a powered hub and put two sticks on it now I get the error Failed to sanity check in lowl-vcom.c windows_usb_get_string():508 but it still seems to work, just not always right away, sometimes I have to start the program several times before it sees both sticks
lennyNO

View Profile
December 26, 2017, 03:34:51 AM

so 10 works but 11 doesn't? sounds strange.. it could be somehow related to the usb chip in the hub?

I first found the two MLDs that seemed to generate a problem. I then rearranged the whole lot, and suprisingly or not, now it was two other MLDs that had the problem. Good, then it is most likely not the physical MLD but as you say, something with the USB hub.

I then made two sets of MLDs, one of 9 MLDs running at 900Mhz and the other of two MLDs on 795Mhz for the two 'culprit' USB ports, and while that in itself worked, it didn't resolve the problem, I once again got at least one MLD in the 900Mhz failing (but again I am not sure which port that again was).

I am getting tired of this thing, so now I have scaled back everything to 832Mhz and see if that keeps running well over a day or so, I seriously hope so. My earlier 10minute tests seems to support that. 11*832 is still faster than 10*900 so in that sense it is better.

If anyone has any suggestion on how to troubleshoot the 'unrecognized command' and subsequent reduction in Hashrate to about 2-3Mh/s I appreciate it. Changing the difficulty didn't help for me at all.
jstefanop (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2060
Merit: 1385

View Profile
December 26, 2017, 03:35:06 AM

This is a power related problem, sounds like your having cores drop in certain sticks due to too high frequency/power draw. Anything past 796 MHZ on stock core voltage your going to have issues, which is what your seeing. You need to turn up core voltage if you want to run past 800 mhz.

Project Apollo: A Pod Miner Designed for the Home https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4974036
FutureBit Moonlander 2 USB Scrypt Stick Miner: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2125643.0
LTC:LX5vpxrQE4eLRLPobKwZhw2comkKFCh3p4 - BTC:14w9Lea6kdVzspJk8TQRe7qSYu9LhzJJsh
Fenboy

Activity: 84

View Profile
December 26, 2017, 10:49:04 AM

This is a power related problem, sounds like your having cores drop in certain sticks due to too high frequency/power draw. Anything past 796 MHZ on stock core voltage your going to have issues, which is what your seeing. You need to turn up core voltage if you want to run past 800 mhz.

So its core voltage on the Moonlander and not how much power/amps per USB port?
thomasvk

Activity: 15

View Profile
December 26, 2017, 10:54:40 AM

Does one ML2 work on a macbook pro?

Are there any recommended settings, or is default ok?

Not sure if this has been asked before, can't seem to find it.

Thank you!
lennyNO

View Profile
December 26, 2017, 11:52:19 AM

jstefanop, thanks for your feedback. Yeah I have adjusted core/mem since long. It seems more complicated than that. As I wrote, I had what semeed 2 culprit MLDs, when I finally identified them and moved them to different USB sockets, the problem came on two different MLDs. Uncertain if the same USB sockets as before. I had 6 units run at 952Mhz (with adjusted core/mem) no problem whatsoever. I received a last batch of 5 from you last friday (but I did not write down which serial numbers they were), since then it's a problem. Yes, I have turned up core/mem on all units.

I monitor HW errors, and they never exceed 1-1.5%, usually less < 1%. I would think that if core voltage is too low that would be the first that shows up? So I have a hard time seeing that it is pot settings.

I also noted that bfgminer has (sometimes) difficulty recognizing the type and serialnumber of some of the MLDs and it may require a restart of bfgminer before these fields are properly populated. In the debuglog there is an error related to this "Failed to ioctl in lowl-vcom.c ..."

I also noted that on initial startup, the function futurebit_coretest reports 63 cores on all devices, not 64 which I thought was interestesting. ALL report 63.

I am still suspecting it may be something to do with the USB hub (even if it is good one), I have now been running back at 832 all night without any problem on 11 MLDs. I will now again split in two, and one by one add COM ports to the set that I want to run at 900Mhz and try to push this as many as possible. I probably start with the 6 COM ports that never gave me a problem when I only had 6 units.
androgenus

Activity: 2

View Profile
December 26, 2017, 08:56:27 PM

Hi you all,
I've just ordered 3 Moonlander2 and now i'm trying to find out how to make a mining setup with raspbianPi3.
Would a Raspbian install (via NOOBS) be ok or should I get another distro?
Does anyone from Europe have a link to an USB hub that's working for my micro-setup with 3 Moonlanders?
Do you need an extra fan to cool the Moonlanders?
Maybe you also have a suggestion for a Raspberry Pi case (I don't really know if necessary).
Thank you
Patjebitcoin

Activity: 15

View Profile
December 26, 2017, 10:52:15 PM

Hi you all,
I've just ordered 3 Moonlander2 and now i'm trying to find out how to make a mining setup with raspbianPi3.
Does anyone from Europe have a link to an USB hub that's working for my micro-setup with 3 Moonlanders?
Maybe you also have a suggestion for a Raspberry Pi case (I don't really know if necessary).
Thank you

Hi to2to,

Well for starters you don't need a case for the RPI3 its only for the protection.
It don't matter which version (NOOBS or stretch)of rasbian you use, always use the latest 1.
For the USB hub with 3 moonlanders I use https://www.amazon.de/Plugable-SuperSpeed-Netzteil-Schnelllade-Unterstützung-Android/dp/B00RNFY8HQ/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1514328172&sr=8-5&keywords=plugable+usb+3.0
now running with 4 of them on MLD:clock=796 without problems. Heating well, with a usb fan they become between 45/50 degrees, so no problems..

Grtz Pat.
jstefanop (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2060
Merit: 1385

View Profile
December 26, 2017, 11:25:21 PM

jstefanop, thanks for your feedback. Yeah I have adjusted core/mem since long. It seems more complicated than that. As I wrote, I had what semeed 2 culprit MLDs, when I finally identified them and moved them to different USB sockets, the problem came on two different MLDs. Uncertain if the same USB sockets as before. I had 6 units run at 952Mhz (with adjusted core/mem) no problem whatsoever. I received a last batch of 5 from you last friday (but I did not write down which serial numbers they were), since then it's a problem. Yes, I have turned up core/mem on all units.

I monitor HW errors, and they never exceed 1-1.5%, usually less < 1%. I would think that if core voltage is too low that would be the first that shows up? So I have a hard time seeing that it is pot settings.

I also noted that bfgminer has (sometimes) difficulty recognizing the type and serialnumber of some of the MLDs and it may require a restart of bfgminer before these fields are properly populated. In the debuglog there is an error related to this "Failed to ioctl in lowl-vcom.c ..."

I also noted that on initial startup, the function futurebit_coretest reports 63 cores on all devices, not 64 which I thought was interestesting. ALL report 63.

I am still suspecting it may be something to do with the USB hub (even if it is good one), I have now been running back at 832 all night without any problem on 11 MLDs. I will now again split in two, and one by one add COM ports to the set that I want to run at 900Mhz and try to push this as many as possible. I probably start with the 6 COM ports that never gave me a problem when I only had 6 units.

Yea if you are using eyeboot's hub its definitely the hub. While they are great hubs, he uses power supplies that are on the cheaper end for 5v, and I'm not sure if the USB chips he uses can handle the number of ports he has that well. I've seen similar strange behavior since I use his hubs for rapid testing.

63 cores is what its supposed to show if all your cores are healthy (Core# 0-63).

Project Apollo: A Pod Miner Designed for the Home https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4974036
FutureBit Moonlander 2 USB Scrypt Stick Miner: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2125643.0
LTC:LX5vpxrQE4eLRLPobKwZhw2comkKFCh3p4 - BTC:14w9Lea6kdVzspJk8TQRe7qSYu9LhzJJsh
lennyNO

View Profile
December 26, 2017, 11:39:04 PM

Yea if you are using eyeboot's hub its definitely the hub. While they are great hubs, he uses power supplies that are on the cheaper end for 5v, and I'm not sure if the USB chips he uses can handle the number of ports he has that well. I've seen similar strange behavior since I use his hubs for rapid testing.

Ok, MANY thanks for the feedbak again, the MLD is just awesome so I am a happy man no matter what. Your direct shipments to me arrived in no-time! (to Norway, there is probably only one person from there who has ordered of late = me hehe).

I am running  now 4x900Mhz + 7x832Mhz and that works fine, very stable. But going to 5x900Mhz + 6x832Mhz creates the unrecognized responses on restarts on one of the 900Mhz units. My total hashrate is around 53Mh/s and I cannot assume anything else than that I am at the limit, be of powerdraw or USB chipset. But the current setup gives the same hashing rate as 10.5*900Mhz (11 units with 1 working at halv speed and not very stable) and draws less power, and I can optimise that more by tweaking the core/mem voltages. So I will have lots of fun and still have top notch performance.

Again, great stuff!!

androgenus

Activity: 2

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 12:02:10 AM

Hi you all,
Thank you

Hi to2to,

Well for starters you don't need a case for the RPI3 its only for the protection.
It don't matter which version (NOOBS or stretch)of rasbian you use, always use the latest 1.
For the USB hub with 3 moonlanders I use https://www.amazon.de/Plugable-SuperSpeed-Netzteil-Schnelllade-Unterstützung-Android/dp/B00RNFY8HQ/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1514328172&sr=8-5&keywords=plugable+usb+3.0
now running with 4 of them on MLD:clock=796 without problems. Heating well, with a usb fan they become between 45/50 degrees, so no problems..

Grtz Pat.

Thanks a lot this was a fast and complete answer.
Andrei
aironeous

Activity: 99
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 04:47:45 PM

I am mining LINX with 3 of these.
http://pool.mylinx.io/
Eyedol-X

Activity: 952
Merit: 508

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 06:15:38 PM

FAQ

Q: What frequencies can I set my moonlander?
The moonlander 2 has a list of hard coded frequencies to ensure maximum performance for a given frequency. Below is a list of valid frequencies you can use currently:
384, 450, 480, 540, 576, 600, 612, 625, 636, 648, 660, 672, 684, 700, 720, 744, 756, 768, 796, 832, 852, 876, 900, 924, 954
You can change the frequency by editing the Start_Moonlander.bat under windows or .sh file under Mac and editing the number after "--set MLD:clock="

Q: How can I set frequency to a particular stick in a mutistick setup under bfgminer?
If you want to specify frequencies for each individual miners you can point which frequency gets set to which miner by changing the global --set MLD:clock=144
to --set MLD@/dev/ttyUSB0:clock=600  (note I haven't really tested if you can keep the global option and lets say just set one stick to a different frequency...if you do it this way you might have to specify frequencies for each miner port individually even if some of them are the same, since the global option might override individual frequencies).

So if you have two sticks and want two different frequencies your options might look like this:

Code:
./bfgminer --scrypt -o stratum+tcp://us.litecoinpool.org:3333 -u jstefanop.1 -p 1,d=256 -S MLD:/dev/ttyUSB0 -S MLD:/dev/ttyUSB1 --set MLD@/dev/ttyUSB0:clock=600 --set MLD@/dev/ttyUSB1:clock=648

this looks like an example of how to set frequency per stick for linux -- what would be the example command for Windows?

Also, is it possible to run multiple instances of the miner? For example I want to run 5 on one pool and 5 on another pool with the same system. I assume you have to multiple copies of the miner and in one folder I specify miners 0-4 and in the second folder I specify miners 5-9.
lennyNO

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 08:51:21 PM

this looks like an example of how to set frequency per stick for linux -- what would be the example command for Windows?
That's explained also somewhere else in this thread, but see below:
Also, is it possible to run multiple instances of the miner? For example I want to run 5 on one pool and 5 on another pool with the same system. I assume you have to multiple copies of the miner and in one folder I specify miners 0-4 and in the second folder I specify miners 5-9.
No, you don't need multiple copies! Just create copies of the start_moonlander.bat file, like start_mld_pool1.bat and start_mld_pool2.bat. In the same folder as bfgminer is in. In one bat-file you specify pool #1, and in the other pool #2.

In each bat file you replace -S MLD:all by a series of arguments of the following form -S MLD:\\.\COM3 -S MLD:\\.\COM4 etc.
This will run ONLY the MLD's connected to the specified COM ports for that bat file. You can have different clock frequencies per bat file. If you want.

You need to go into your windows device manager --> COM & LPT --> see which COM ports appear with Silicon Labs next to them, these are MLDs (the MLDs need to be plugged in!!). If you don't care which physical MLD is connected to which pool, you just split the set of COM ports in two, say 3-7 for one bat file (as per above -S MLD:\\.\COM#) and 8-12 in the other. If for some reason you do care exactly which device gets assigned to which pool, you have to remove a device and see which COM port is free'd up, then you know which COM port corresponds to that USB position and device and in that way you can find out the COM ports. But usually you don't care and can just go directly by the list that you find in the device manager.

When you have edited the two bat files (one for one pool with one set of com ports, the other for the other pool with the other set), you just double click on each of them and it will run. You get two bfgminer windows obviously.

Eyedol-X

Activity: 952
Merit: 508

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 08:55:53 PM

That's explained also somewhere else in this thread, but see below:
No, you don't need multiple copies! Just create copies of the start_moonlander.bat file, like start_mld_pool1.bat and start_mld_pool2.bat. In the same folder as bfgminer is in. In one bat-file you specify pool #1, and in the other pool #2.

In each bat file you replace -S MLD:all by a series of arguments of the following form -S MLD:\\.\COM3 -S MLD:\\.\COM4 etc.
This will run ONLY the MLD's connected to the specified COM ports for that bat file. You can have different clock frequencies per bat file. If you want.

You need to go into your windows device manager --> COM & LPT --> see which COM ports appear with Silicon Labs next to them, these are MLDs (the MLDs need to be plugged in!!). If you don't care which physical MLD is connected to which pool, you just split the set of COM ports in two, say 3-7 for one bat file (as per above -S MLD:\\.\COM#) and 8-12 in the other. If for some reason you do care exactly which device gets assigned to which pool, you have to remove a device and see which COM port is free'd up, then you know which COM port corresponds to that USB position and device and in that way you can find out the COM ports. But usually you don't care and can just go directly by the list that you find in the device manager.

When you have edited the two bat files (one for one pool with one set of com ports, the other for the other pool with the other set), you just double click on each of them and it will run. You get two bfgminer windows obviously.

Thanks for this information -- I just started messing around with some I have today, have to get some more budget hubs while I wait on eyeboot's I have coming to ship. Once I get more than a handfull of these things plugged in I'll start messing with com port / division settings.
Astrali

Activity: 281
Merit: 130

Crypto Addicted

View Profile WWW
December 27, 2017, 09:44:51 PM

i still got my most probably partial fried moonlander that doesnt get proper detected ..

i admit it will most probably have been my fault cause 1 cable on my usb connection got loose in the extender i used (seen that later).

is there any way to check whats broken on the device or repair it?
or is it an 1 ltc decoration element now? Smiley

would be happy to hear any ideas.

i dont blame anyone but myself!

Thanks - Astrali Smiley

Join the mining! pool.cryptopowered.club    Smiley   || Need a miner? Rent one! MiningRigRentals
dvsrk

Activity: 16

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 11:35:55 PM

Can "Moonlader 2" mine any other altcoins efficiently other than litecoin ? thanks
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 ... 108 »
  Print  

Jump to: