Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 08:16:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 ... 108 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Official FutureBit Moonlander 2 Driver and Support Thread  (Read 71393 times)
soccerdude71

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 10:08:14 PM

Thanks...  I have a usb data hub with multiple MLDs.  How would I know which is which in this case?  I feel like there is no way to know...  This is why I posted earlier asking if there was a way to make each MLD a separate worker on the mining pool.

Running windows, I opened "Device Manager" then I unplugged one of the MLD and saw which COM port that one was.
Mine are on COM3 & COM4, from there it was easy as I had marked the "better" MLD and punched in my speed.

quick question.

I have 1 stick that will hash just happy at 924, another won't budge past 796. Can I set them to run those frequencies on the same scrypt?

Yes:

... -S MLD:all --set MLD@COM7:clock=924 --set MLD@COM8:clock=796

(official notation should be --set MLD@\\.\COMx:clock=nnn but this works as well)

So how do I know which MLD is which??? 

thanks
G

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jstefanop (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2088
Merit: 1393

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 10:32:11 PM

Thanks...  I have a usb data hub with multiple MLDs.  How would I know which is which in this case?  I feel like there is no way to know...  This is why I posted earlier asking if there was a way to make each MLD a separate worker on the mining pool.

Running windows, I opened "Device Manager" then I unplugged one of the MLD and saw which COM port that one was.
Mine are on COM3 & COM4, from there it was easy as I had marked the "better" MLD and punched in my speed.

quick question.

I have 1 stick that will hash just happy at 924, another won't budge past 796. Can I set them to run those frequencies on the same scrypt?

Yes:

(official notation should be --set MLD@\\.\COMx:clock=nnn but this works as well)

thanks
G

You have two options, either set the scan method to not scan "all" and scan for only one moonlander (i.e. -S MLD:\\.\COMx), create a separate bat for each moonlander and run one in its own instance, or go into Device menu and get more info on the device...this will display its unique serial number (its different than the one on the sticker), and place this number on the device somewhere.

Then you will know which is which. Next update will also implement the enable/disable function in the device menu, so you can just visually see which bfgminer device number corresponds to which moonlander.

Project Apollo: A Pod Miner Designed for the Home https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4974036
FutureBit Moonlander 2 USB Scrypt Stick Miner: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2125643.0
soccerdude71

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 10:39:13 PM
Last edit: February 01, 2018, 10:58:32 PM by soccerdude71

Thank you!  Would you mind showing me how to get the serial #?  I wasn't sure how based on your note below.  And once I see how to track the serial, is there something in the command line I can use to control each MLD (set freq, etc.) apart from running each one separately?

Thanks...  I have a usb data hub with multiple MLDs.  How would I know which is which in this case?  I feel like there is no way to know...  This is why I posted earlier asking if there was a way to make each MLD a separate worker on the mining pool.

quick question.

Yes:

thanks
G

You have two options, either set the scan method to not scan "all" and scan for only one moonlander (i.e. -S MLD:\\.\COMx), create a separate bat for each moonlander and run one in its own instance, or go into Device menu and get more info on the device...this will display its unique serial number (its different than the one on the sticker), and place this number on the device somewhere.

Then you will know which is which. Next update will also implement the enable/disable function in the device menu, so you can just visually see which bfgminer device number corresponds to which moonlander.
lennyNO

Activity: 76

View Profile
February 02, 2018, 12:24:53 AM

Fixing the enable/disable would be very useful since I have never been able to detect any logical binding between COM port and MLD#, it seems random.
Also, I have noted that not always is bfgminer able to pick up the MLD serialnumber, or even that it is a MLD connected to a serial port, all fields are empty (windows detects the MLD just fine and assigns a COM port to it, but when bfgminer tries to figure out what is connected to the com port it doesn't get the information that it needs, which is device type and serialnumber). But it will still start hashing it because that's just how the code works. Also that seems to be random, possibly something stuck in the USB hub.

Once one has done a bit of plugging in/out of MLDs into a hub and monitoring the COM ports its easy to follow how com ports are assigned to the USB ports, that helps. Certainly in my case where I have split my 11 MLDs on one hub into two groups (and hence two bfgminer instances). As long as I keep using the same USB ports I know exactly which USB port gets assigned which COM port.
dem0nlord

Activity: 41

View Profile
February 02, 2018, 03:40:49 AM

Up to 8 of these now which is probably as far as I will go. All are running happily at max speed and completely stable.
https://image.ibb.co/m1hiM6/moonlanders.jpg
achtung082

Activity: 358
Merit: 255

View Profile
February 02, 2018, 07:14:58 AM

I think what I'm running has kernel version 4.4. There are no dependency differences between my branch, only difference is that it includes the futurbit driver which has not been merged upstream yet.

New image worked first time. Haven't tried anything crazy yet. I will start cranking them up over the weekend.

Support sidehack projects: 1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
My Sales Wallet BTC:bc1qxtxsc86lessnrsm52gf7qgmqle75htdr03zdd7 - LTC:LNLKyKkGNCJakZudGjc2qg26yYz7oeo92k - ETH:0xDf1b17872D9Ff22F04270BbDA13556B3E1649E27
jstefanop (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 02, 2018, 04:41:28 PM

Up to 8 of these now which is probably as far as I will go. All are running happily at max speed and completely stable.

woh thats impressive...how are you running so many at max speed for nearly 5 days that stable?? I don't even think I have achieved that in my tests. What kind of hub do you have? lol

Project Apollo: A Pod Miner Designed for the Home https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4974036
FutureBit Moonlander 2 USB Scrypt Stick Miner: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2125643.0
dvsrk

Activity: 16

View Profile
February 02, 2018, 06:56:53 PM
Last edit: February 02, 2018, 07:55:38 PM by dvsrk

Hi,

I have ORICO 2.0 30 port USB hub connected with couple of moonlander 2 devices but none of them getting detected when connected to raspberry pi 3.  can someone please help me on this? This works perfectly fine on windows 10 machine.

Do i need to install any additional drivers to make it work on my raspberry pi 3? I have already installed the following as per instructions,

sudo apt install libjansson-dev libcurl4-openssl-dev

thank you.
cjsummers82

Activity: 22
Merit: 30

View Profile
February 02, 2018, 08:34:46 PM
Merited by rockmoney (5)

Impressive....are you running at max frequency?  Do you have core voltage maxed out as well?
aballen

Activity: 73

View Profile
February 02, 2018, 08:42:46 PM

wow man, we need details!!! 

Impressive....are you running at max frequency?  Do you have core voltage maxed out as well?
jstefanop (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 03, 2018, 12:07:40 AM
Merited by rockmoney (10)

No way he's running max clocks AND maxed voltage...regulator would definitely blow up or shut down due to over-current protection. Definitely don't recommend running these at max clock, but running one of these at max clock this stable is impressive...8 all one the same hub...thats crazy!

firelegend2

Activity: 1

View Profile
February 03, 2018, 03:44:14 AM

I ordered mine a while ago from a link on here.. and it arrived this week huzzah! I am super excited.

For some random reason the USB stick would not fit in my usb-c to usb regular convertor for my computer, but well I probably wasn't supposed to use it that way anyway and I didn't want to risk breaking it by pushing hard. Can someone please recommend a powered hub for me? I've seen from the comments here people are often told they may not have enough power.. I would love to have a proper hub so I don't have to stress it. I only have 1 so I don't need something with 6 ports. Can I use a hub with a pi? I've been slightly confused as to if we are reading directly via USB connection to make the pool name edits etc, as some mentioned wireless stuff.. but I will follow the tutorials on page one as soon as I get a powered hub Smiley it doesn't look too hard. Crossing fingers.
lennyNO

Activity: 76

View Profile
February 03, 2018, 01:43:23 PM

Impressive....are you running at max frequency?  Do you have core voltage maxed out as well?

No way he's running max clocks AND maxed voltage...regulator would definitely blow up or shut down due to over-current protection. Definitely don't recommend running these at max clock, but running one of these at max clock this stable is impressive...8 all one the same hub...thats crazy!

Hey, @jstephanop, you made this awesome stuff! I am running 6 mlds at 924Hz (plus 5 at 824Mhz) all on the same hub, with the pots tweaked down as per your instructions, my HW rate is a little higher, at .9% and my hashrate it a bit lower, at 5.3Mhz/unit, instead of just over 5.4Mh/s as with @dem0nlord. Been running stable without restarts for weeks now. I got (borrowed) an IR temp meter, the 824Mhz MLDs I am running without stockfan and they are at ca 44degC, the 924Mhz I am running with stockfan, and they are about the same.
aballen

Activity: 73

View Profile
February 03, 2018, 02:23:20 PM

Really interesting.  I have 4 in my office with the window cracked, super cold in there.  With the core voltage a .819 I'm able to run them stable at 832.  <.5% errors.  I have not touched the memory voltage.

Increasing the speed certainly ups the error rate.  Is anything under <2% really optimal?  I want to see it at close to 0 as possible, maybe that is silly, I feel satisfied at<.5%.  I start to worry over 1%.

My tinkering has been minimal, but as an example if I go to a speed of 852 error rate is ~1.2%, and increasing voltage does not seem to help, maybe it just creates more heat, or my increase is too much?

Not trying to be greedy, 4.7mhz is pretty good, but I was hoping to get to 5mhz, so I'm curious how you guys nudged your speeds up.

What are your voltages?

Impressive....are you running at max frequency?  Do you have core voltage maxed out as well?

Hey, @jstephanop, you made this awesome stuff! I am running 6 mlds at 924Hz (plus 5 at 824Mhz) all on the same hub, with the pots tweaked down as per your instructions, my HW rate is a little higher, at .9% and my hashrate it a bit lower, at 5.3Mhz/unit, instead of just over 5.4Mh/s as with @dem0nlord. Been running stable without restarts for weeks now. I got (borrowed) an IR temp meter, the 824Mhz MLDs I am running without stockfan and they are at ca 44degC, the 924Mhz I am running with stockfan, and they are about the same.
jstefanop (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 03, 2018, 05:47:03 PM

Really interesting.  I have 4 in my office with the window cracked, super cold in there.  With the core voltage a .819 I'm able to run them stable at 832.  <.5% errors.  I have not touched the memory voltage.

Increasing the speed certainly ups the error rate.  Is anything under <2% really optimal?  I want to see it at close to 0 as possible, maybe that is silly, I feel satisfied at<.5%.  I start to worry over 1%.

My tinkering has been minimal, but as an example if I go to a speed of 852 error rate is ~1.2%, and increasing voltage does not seem to help, maybe it just creates more heat, or my increase is too much?

Not trying to be greedy, 4.7mhz is pretty good, but I was hoping to get to 5mhz, so I'm curious how you guys nudged your speeds up.

What are your voltages?

Anything past high 4's pretty much comes down to silicon lottery. While the batch of chips I have been getting has been pretty good in terms of variance, you just might get a chip that runs at max clocks cool all day long, and one chip just wont go past 4.5 without alot of power/tweaking.

soccerdude71

View Profile
February 03, 2018, 09:28:53 PM

What is a typical or acceptable HW rate?

Also, I have 9 miners setup...  Notice that 5 and 10 are very low.  I have tried every frequency, and nothing changes.  suggestions?  Suggestions for all of them in general?

thanks!
G

https://imgur.com/a/mfIxV

crypto_curious

Activity: 924
Merit: 175

View Profile
February 03, 2018, 11:43:34 PM

Just received 3 miners from Asicpuppy. Thanks! Assembled them without problems, now they are hashing away at 756MHz (4.3 MH/s). Great stuff!
blockchain49er

Activity: 4

View Profile
February 04, 2018, 02:48:57 PM

I ordered 2 Moonlander 2 and have them hashing. The problem is that no matter what I do one of the sticks have an error rate of 5-10%. I've tried modifying clock settings, different USB ports, different computers, powered USB hubs, etc.

One stick is <.5% error rate and the other is 5-10% consistently. I've gone as low at 600MHz and as high as 796 each with similar results.

I've purchased directly from the developer on eBay. Not sure if I have a defective unit or I need to tweak the pots maybe?

Interested to hear any ideas on how to troubleshoot this.

Try raising the memory and core voltage. Also some units do show higher error rate, but does not actually affect the hashrate (i.e. the uart controller sometimes spits out garbage, but all the "real" shares still come out properly). Are you also seeing a corresponding 5-10% drop in hashrate?

So the plot thickens (well not really... I think I just have a bad device).

These devices shipped with the following voltages Core: 0.714VDC  Mem: 0.771VDC. I changed them to their supposed defaults listed in the first post and was able to get it to Core: 0.751  Mem: 0.854. Now the error rate is consistent with the other 2 devices, except I constantly get these errors after a few hours:

[2018-02-03 10:45:24] FutureBit Write error: Permission denied
[2018-02-03 10:45:24] MLD 1: ASIC has stopped hashing, attempting to restart

I've dropped the frequency from 756 (where the others are running happily) to 600 and all steps in between. I've been troubleshooting this for days and keep ending with the same result no matter which USB port or hub I use. I've run this thing solo, with the other two, basically every combination I've tried gets these errors.

Not sure what else to try at this point.
philipma1957
Legendary

Activity: 4102
Merit: 7763

'The right to privacy matters'

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2018, 02:51:23 PM

I ordered 2 Moonlander 2 and have them hashing. The problem is that no matter what I do one of the sticks have an error rate of 5-10%. I've tried modifying clock settings, different USB ports, different computers, powered USB hubs, etc.

One stick is <.5% error rate and the other is 5-10% consistently. I've gone as low at 600MHz and as high as 796 each with similar results.

I've purchased directly from the developer on eBay. Not sure if I have a defective unit or I need to tweak the pots maybe?

Interested to hear any ideas on how to troubleshoot this.

Try raising the memory and core voltage. Also some units do show higher error rate, but does not actually affect the hashrate (i.e. the uart controller sometimes spits out garbage, but all the "real" shares still come out properly). Are you also seeing a corresponding 5-10% drop in hashrate?

So the plot thickens (well not really... I think I just have a bad device).

These devices shipped with the following voltages Core: 0.714VDC  Mem: 0.771VDC. I changed them to their supposed defaults listed in the first post and was able to get it to Core: 0.751  Mem: 0.854. Now the error rate is consistent with the other 2 devices, except I constantly get these errors after a few hours:

[2018-02-03 10:45:24] MLD 1: ASIC has stopped hashing, attempting to restart

I've dropped the frequency from 756 (where the others are running happily) to 600 and all steps in between. I've been troubleshooting this for days and keep ending with the same result no matter which USB port or hub I use. I've run this thing solo, with the other two, basically every combination I've tried gets these errors.

Not sure what else to try at this point.

what hub and what pc or rasp pi?

I want to stress  that my setup is at 832  and just runs and runs and runs and runs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3rqTUNt5XI

▄▄███████▄▄
▄██████████████▄
▄██████████████████▄
▄████▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀█████▄
▄█████████████▄█▀████▄
███████████▄███████████
██████████▄█▀███████████
██████████▀████████████
▀█████▄█▀█████████████▀
▀████▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 MΞTAWIN  THE FIRST WEB3 CASINO   
.. PLAY NOW ..
blockchain49er

Activity: 4

View Profile
February 04, 2018, 04:29:49 PM

what hub and what pc or rasp pi?

I want to stress  that my setup is at 832  and just runs and runs and runs and runs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3rqTUNt5XI

I'm not sure how your setup or your stressing is relevant here. I've got 3 devices, 2 of which have zero issues. Clearly, if it was a problem with my setup then all 3 would exhibit this problem. I've tried this device on 2 PC's. One is a Corsair One Pro and a mining rig with a BioStar TB250-BTC+ motherboard. The problem exists whether I'm using a USB 3.0 port directly from the motherboard or via a powered USB hub. If you're suggesting the problem is any one of these USB ports then the other devices would surely fail, which they don't.

When this issue happens, the other 2 devices happily "just runs and runs and runs and runs". This device has a much higher error rate and much lower share rate than the other two and then just completely dies.

What's interesting is that while adjusting the pots, I've had the inductor fail to get a voltage reading and I've had to unplug and replug the device in order to get a reading.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 ... 108 »
  Print  

Jump to: