Bitcoin Forum
April 22, 2024, 10:59:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 [77] 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Official FutureBit Moonlander 2 Driver and Support Thread  (Read 71393 times)
jstefanop (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2088
Merit: 1390

View Profile
April 24, 2018, 05:51:22 PM

Code:
bfgminer.exe --scrypt -o stratum+tcp://eu.multipool.us:3351 -u Moonlander2.1 -p x,d=256  -S MLD:all --set MLD:clock=796
pause

Ok so i have it running on litecoinpool and on multipool. Works but i run into the same error. After a while it just stops hashing. If i restart bfg then it works like a champ again.
So can someone help me. Is there a way to set bfgminer up to auto restart after an hour. yea I know its not perfect but at this point i just want the dang thing to run nearly 24 hours. I hate waking up to find it pooped out after 30 minutes and sat idle 6 hours. Is there a way to add a piece to this scrypt that will make it auto restart after an hour? Since I have no clue why it keeps stopping. And before we trouble shoot again just assume its all running on the right stuff. yes powered hub. yes 100mbps connection which is stable. Yes way more than adequate cooling. This thing will run 30 minutes and stop or 32 hours and stop. No rhyme or reason i see. If there is a code to auto restart after an hour that would be gold.  Any help?

Any ideas?

This depends on whats going on with your setup. First are you running the latest bfgminer binaries I release that have auto-restart built into the miner? Sounds like your not since restarting bfgminer pretty much does what I already do in the new driver release automatically.

Project Apollo: A Pod Miner Designed for the Home https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4974036
FutureBit Moonlander 2 USB Scrypt Stick Miner: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2125643.0

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Hintsal

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 05:38:05 AM

Code:
bfgminer.exe --scrypt -o stratum+tcp://eu.multipool.us:3351 -u Moonlander2.1 -p x,d=256  -S MLD:all --set MLD:clock=796
pause

Ok so i have it running on litecoinpool and on multipool. Works but i run into the same error. After a while it just stops hashing. If i restart bfg then it works like a champ again.
So can someone help me. Is there a way to set bfgminer up to auto restart after an hour. yea I know its not perfect but at this point i just want the dang thing to run nearly 24 hours. I hate waking up to find it pooped out after 30 minutes and sat idle 6 hours. Is there a way to add a piece to this scrypt that will make it auto restart after an hour? Since I have no clue why it keeps stopping. And before we trouble shoot again just assume its all running on the right stuff. yes powered hub. yes 100mbps connection which is stable. Yes way more than adequate cooling. This thing will run 30 minutes and stop or 32 hours and stop. No rhyme or reason i see. If there is a code to auto restart after an hour that would be gold.  Any help?

Any ideas?

Have you tried lowering the frequency to 6xx to see if it runs better? Do you have tools to check how many volts, amps, and watts are being used? Do you have a heat gun to measure temp on the ASIC?

In Windows, you could forcefully kill the bfgminer using a free tool called pskill:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/pskill

https://ss64.com/nt/timeout.html

You can use a batch file where you loop bfgminer on, wait 1 hr, bfgminer kill

So, something like this:

bfgminer_restart.bat -- the first line should launch bfgminer.exe in its own window, second line waits one hour, third line kills bfgminer, fourth line restarts the loop

Code:
:top
START /b CMD /c "bfgminer.exe --scrypt -o stratum+tcp://eu.multipool.us:3351 -u Moonlander2.1 -p x,d=256  -S MLD:all --set MLD:clock=796"
timeout 3600
pskill bfgminer.exe
goto top

I'll try updating as jstefanop says. If that doesn't work I'll try your method. The USB miner is still stock. Never messed with anything. Only removed the bad fan.
amason88

Activity: 6

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 09:28:23 AM

Hello,

I don't know if I'm being stupid here but I've had this moonlander2 working on my old PC, I've now changed PC and come to set it up the exact same again and i get the following as a message?

Anyone have any ideas?

I've read through all the errors other have had, I've reinstalled the driver and also downloaded the latest version of BFG and still the same issues. I'm baffled.

https://preview.ibb.co/dWRzbx/error.png
Hintsal

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 02:01:59 PM

Code:
bfgminer.exe --scrypt -o stratum+tcp://eu.multipool.us:3351 -u Moonlander2.1 -p x,d=256  -S MLD:all --set MLD:clock=796
pause

So can someone help me. Is there a way to set bfgminer up to auto restart after an hour. yea I know its not perfect but at this point i just want the dang thing to run nearly 24 hours. I hate waking up to find it pooped out after 30 minutes and sat idle 6 hours. Is there a way to add a piece to this scrypt that will make it auto restart after an hour? Since I have no clue why it keeps stopping. And before we trouble shoot again just assume its all running on the right stuff. yes powered hub. yes 100mbps connection which is stable. Yes way more than adequate cooling. This thing will run 30 minutes and stop or 32 hours and stop. No rhyme or reason i see. If there is a code to auto restart after an hour that would be gold.  Any help?

Any ideas?

This depends on whats going on with your setup. First are you running the latest bfgminer binaries I release that have auto-restart built into the miner? Sounds like your not since restarting bfgminer pretty much does what I already do in the new driver release automatically.

i have 5.4.2. isnt that the newest one? i see no restart timer
Hintsal

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 02:15:57 PM

Code:
bfgminer.exe --scrypt -o stratum+tcp://eu.multipool.us:3351 -u Moonlander2.1 -p x,d=256  -S MLD:all --set MLD:clock=796
pause

So can someone help me. Is there a way to set bfgminer up to auto restart after an hour. yea I know its not perfect but at this point i just want the dang thing to run nearly 24 hours. I hate waking up to find it pooped out after 30 minutes and sat idle 6 hours. Is there a way to add a piece to this scrypt that will make it auto restart after an hour? Since I have no clue why it keeps stopping. And before we trouble shoot again just assume its all running on the right stuff. yes powered hub. yes 100mbps connection which is stable. Yes way more than adequate cooling. This thing will run 30 minutes and stop or 32 hours and stop. No rhyme or reason i see. If there is a code to auto restart after an hour that would be gold.  Any help?

Any ideas?

Have you tried lowering the frequency to 6xx to see if it runs better? Do you have tools to check how many volts, amps, and watts are being used? Do you have a heat gun to measure temp on the ASIC?

In Windows, you could forcefully kill the bfgminer using a free tool called pskill:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/pskill

https://ss64.com/nt/timeout.html

You can use a batch file where you loop bfgminer on, wait 1 hr, bfgminer kill

So, something like this:

bfgminer_restart.bat -- the first line should launch bfgminer.exe in its own window, second line waits one hour, third line kills bfgminer, fourth line restarts the loop

Code:
:top
START /b CMD /c "bfgminer.exe --scrypt -o stratum+tcp://eu.multipool.us:3351 -u Moonlander2.1 -p x,d=256  -S MLD:all --set MLD:clock=796"
timeout 3600
pskill bfgminer.exe
goto top

Wow got that pskill thing on and used your scrypt. Working like a champ. If it restarts you rock so much. Thanks. Ill post back if this solved my issue. I have the current miner running as well.
Christocyr

Activity: 19

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 03:13:33 PM

I have a fried Moonlander 2. This one was working perfectly on one of my computers for weeks,  and I moved it to another computer that was in a more favorable location. Set up the computer the same way, Windows 7, standard software (bfgminer, etc). However, when I plugged it in, and the fan worked fine, and then I smelled the familiar smell of smoked electronic components. Looks like U2 on the board is fried with a black smoldered hole  in the middle of it.

What is the component? What could have caused this? Is this ML2 repairable, or is it a lost cause? My other 2 ML2's are working great, but am scared to move them in the event this same thing happens.

Any guidance would be great.

Thanks!
jstefanop (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 04:16:51 PM

Code:
pause

Any ideas?

i have 5.4.2. isnt that the newest one? i see no restart timer

You should see 5.4.2-38 at the top if your running the latest version.

Project Apollo: A Pod Miner Designed for the Home https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4974036
FutureBit Moonlander 2 USB Scrypt Stick Miner: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2125643.0
jstefanop (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 04:22:22 PM

I have a fried Moonlander 2. This one was working perfectly on one of my computers for weeks,  and I moved it to another computer that was in a more favorable location. Set up the computer the same way, Windows 7, standard software (bfgminer, etc). However, when I plugged it in, and the fan worked fine, and then I smelled the familiar smell of smoked electronic components. Looks like U2 on the board is fried with a black smoldered hole  in the middle of it.

What is the component? What could have caused this? Is this ML2 repairable, or is it a lost cause? My other 2 ML2's are working great, but am scared to move them in the event this same thing happens.

Thanks!

Hmm thats not good. U2 is the memory voltage controller. Sounds like something shorted or overheated. Were you running higher clocks? If only the controller blew the repair would be relatively easy and its a 50 cent component if your good with removing/soldering SMDs. If your in the US and don't mind sending it in shoot me a PM...catastrophic failures like this are super rare so they are good dissecting cases.

Christocyr

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 06:44:14 PM

Thanks!

Hmm thats not good. U2 is the memory voltage controller. Sounds like something shorted or overheated. Were you running higher clocks? If only the controller blew the repair would be relatively easy and its a 50 cent component if your good with removing/soldering SMDs. If your in the US and don't mind sending it in shoot me a PM...catastrophic failures like this are super rare so they are good dissecting cases.

No, I was running straight defaults at 600 clock speed on litecoinpool.org with 128 difficulty. I am in the US, and will send you a PM. Thanks!

pyroandy

Activity: 88

View Profile
April 26, 2018, 11:59:26 AM

Thanks!

No, I was running straight defaults at 600 clock speed on litecoinpool.org with 128 difficulty. I am in the US, and will send you a PM. Thanks!

Is there something wroung with the USB port on your computer?
pyroandy

View Profile
April 26, 2018, 12:04:25 PM

Nice looking setup. Personally, I would only run 5 off that hub so you can run them full speed. If you only have on one hub then you could plug you Pi and extra fans into the hub too because they don't need that much power.  Have you tried to get bfgminer to run at startup? I am new to pi and Linux in general and have not been able to get it to work.

Nah I dont really need to been using pi's for years and they seldom crash, I use ssh and tmux to control it. that theres my trusty old pi2 with a broken hdmi out  Grin

I'm sure you know what ssh is tmux may be a mystery to you it allows you to run a program through ssh and it'll keep running even after you disconnect. its similair to screen but a bit more advanced/configurable

Yes, I tried screen but it was not getting me anywhere. Besides I just want it to autostart every time the pi boots up.

make sure screen is installed (sudo apt install screen)

create a file in your home directory with nano like this:

Code:
nano startup.sh

inside this file put something like this

Code:
cd /home/YOUR_PI_ACCOUNT_NAME/YOUR_BFGMINER_FOLDER_NAME
screen -dmS miner bash -c './start_moonlander.sh; exec bash'

then turn startup script to executible

Code:
sudo chmod +x startup.sh

and add this to crontab

Code:
sudo crontab -e

go down after all the ## and add this line

Code:
@reboot /home/YOUR_PI_ACCOUNT_NAME/startup.sh

then

Code:
sudo reboot

once rebooted just do

Code:
sudo screen -dr

and you should see bfgminer running. Press control then A then D at the same time to exit screen without terminating process.

That should do it  Wink

Thanks for your time putting these instructions together. I finally had a chance to try it last night and the miner starts every time I power up the pi. One last question, is there a way to automate the last step (sudo screen -dr) so the terminal with bfgminer comes up on the connected HDMI screen every time?
pyroandy

View Profile
April 26, 2018, 11:33:58 PM
Last edit: April 27, 2018, 10:20:43 AM by pyroandy

I'm looking to update my raspberry pi from 5.4.2-34 to 5.4.2-38 for the auto restart. Has the GitHub armv6 download link been updated to the newest version? It still installs ver. 5.4.2-34.

thanks!

Maybe that's why bfgminer on my pi will not auto restart. My bfgminer comes up with 5.4.2-34, not 5.4.2-38 when following the instructions from page 1
jstefanop (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 30, 2018, 06:30:16 PM

I'm looking to update my raspberry pi from 5.4.2-34 to 5.4.2-38 for the auto restart. Has the GitHub armv6 download link been updated to the newest version? It still installs ver. 5.4.2-34.

thanks!

Maybe that's why bfgminer on my pi will not auto restart. My bfgminer comes up with 5.4.2-34, not 5.4.2-38 when following the instructions from page 1

hmmm, the beta 2 link for armv6 shows build 34? Ill check it and update it. Ill be building new version with latest updates soon anyway.

pyroandy

View Profile
April 30, 2018, 08:50:27 PM

thanks!

hmmm, the beta 2 link for armv6 shows build 34? Ill check it and update it. Ill be building new version with latest updates soon anyway.

Thanks for looking into this. And just an FYI the instructions for the Pi install on page one still links to the old build.
Christocyr

View Profile
May 01, 2018, 01:22:40 AM

Thanks!

No, I have been running two other miners and no problem with that port. Only thing I can think of is that a surge took it out.  Are there any other components before the voltage controller from the initial usb connection on that circuit? Jstefanop, I sent you a PM a couple of days ago, but I am not sure if you got it. Thanks!
jstefanop (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 03, 2018, 05:38:57 PM

Thanks!

No, I have been running two other miners and no problem with that port. Only thing I can think of is that a surge took it out.  Are there any other components before the voltage controller from the initial usb connection on that circuit? Jstefanop, I sent you a PM a couple of days ago, but I am not sure if you got it. Thanks!

Sent you a PM.

pyroandy

View Profile
May 04, 2018, 11:51:47 AM

thanks!

Any idea when the armv6 build might be updated? I have to restart my pi and moonlander about once a day do to internet dropouts.
Finless

Activity: 44

View Profile
May 05, 2018, 05:00:46 PM

I just installed the Windows 10 update 1803 and after install the Moonlander2 drivers did not work.
In device manager it listed the Moonlanders but had a triangle.
BFGMiner when run says "No devices found".
I tried reinstalling them, removing them and reinstalling but to no avail. The driver Preinstaller program fails with an error.
When I try to manually install the drivers, the error says INF file invalid.

I downloaded the v6.7.5 version from the driver page and they worked!
In device manager under COM ports it no longer lists them as Moonlander2 and instead lists them as Silicon Labs CP210x USB to UART Bridge (COMx).
BFGimner now sees them Smiley

Just a tip should you run into this.

Bob
jstefanop (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 05, 2018, 06:55:56 PM

I just installed the Windows 10 update 1803 and after install the Moonlander2 drivers did not work.
In device manager it listed the Moonlanders but had a triangle.
BFGMiner when run says "No devices found".
I tried reinstalling them, removing them and reinstalling but to no avail. The driver Preinstaller program fails with an error.
When I try to manually install the drivers, the error says INF file invalid.

I downloaded the v6.7.5 version from the driver page and they worked!
In device manager under COM ports it no longer lists them as Moonlander2 and instead lists them as Silicon Labs CP210x USB to UART Bridge (COMx).
BFGimner now sees them Smiley

Just a tip should you run into this.

Bob

Sounds like some driver signing issue with the new windows release. Im sure silicon labs will sort it out.

peeess

Activity: 38

View Profile
May 06, 2018, 10:54:26 AM

I have 4 of them, which no longer work thanks to the windows upgrade. I can get 1 with the 6.75 driver to work, but the rest have conflicts with COM ports on that version. Did anyone figure out a work-around yet for multiple Moonlanders?
Pages: « 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 [77] 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 »
  Print  

Jump to: