Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 01:06:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Stockholm Syndrome  (Read 3028 times)
MeSarah (OP)

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 29, 2011, 06:19:44 AM

Wake up people. I see many of you falling into a classic Stockholm syndrome. MtGox has had your money and bitcoins captive for over a week and longer for some. Stop defending your captor and leave MtGox. MtGox has trouble getting the simple things like css right the first time, what makes you think they will get the complex things done correctly the first time? Those that dont try to escape enjoy the suffering they are going through.

Stockholm syndrome is when a captive begins to feel loyalty to their captor and sides with them or defends them.

60 GH/s BFL Single SC - Pre-Order Yours Today!
`````` Only $1299.99 - butterflylabs.com ``````

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Oldminer
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 29, 2011, 06:30:07 AM

I like Sweden. Lot of hot blondes in Sweden.

If you like my post please feel free to give me some positive rep https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=trust;u=18639
Tip me BTC: 1FBmoYijXVizfYk25CpiN8Eds9J6YiRDaX
qed

Activity: 196

View Profile
June 29, 2011, 06:31:24 AM

You forgot to add your Tradehill referral code!

Mobile App (Android)

Monitor miners, exchange rates and Bitcoin network stats.
faille

Activity: 38
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 29, 2011, 07:10:40 AM

Or the bonus you'll send for signing up to B7
jkminkov

Activity: 698
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 29, 2011, 07:33:17 AM

GOX me baby Cheesy

.:31211457:. 100 dollars in one place talking - Dudes, hooray, Bitcoin against us just one, but we are growing in numbers!
robmon

Activity: 12

View Profile
June 29, 2011, 08:19:04 AM

Hey, I live in Stockholm, where does that leave me?  Huh
Agorista

Activity: 65
Merit: 10

a29hbGFibGFzdA==

View Profile
June 29, 2011, 08:21:58 AM

Rob... it leaves you GOX'd

TH-7071M501337

Mike
Member since June 2011 - watching BTC since $0.25
noedaRDH

Activity: 182

Finding Satoshi

View Profile
June 29, 2011, 08:54:12 AM

Gox me baby one more time!

1NwGKiLcAngD1KiCCivxT6EDJmyXMGqM9q

Ask not what Bitcoin can do for you - ask what you can do for Bitcoin.
Timo Y
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1001

bitcoin - the aerogel of money

View Profile
June 29, 2011, 09:03:29 AM

It is difficult enough running your own business.  Running a bitcoin exchange is even more difficult, because in addition to the normal crap a startup has deal with, you are taking a personal (not just financial) risk.

It's something I would never be capable of.  Exchanges provide a vital service to the bitcoin community in the bootstrapping phase. Every exchange operator (not just mtgox) is a hero in my eyes.  

I am thankful for mtgox, despite their mistakes and screw ups.  I have no reason to believe that their intentions are dishonest.   That's why I will keep supporting them (and other exchanges).

GPG ID: FA868D77   bitcoin-otc:forever-d
Gladiator

Activity: 42

View Profile
June 29, 2011, 09:28:16 AM

Someone needs to hack and clean out tradehill or they will never shut up...
Gareth Nelson

Activity: 721
Merit: 503

View Profile
June 29, 2011, 09:36:54 AM

It is difficult enough running your own business.  Running a bitcoin exchange is even more difficult, because in addition to the normal crap a startup has deal with, you are taking a personal (not just financial) risk.

It's something I would never be capable of.  Exchanges provide a vital service to the bitcoin community in the bootstrapping phase. Every exchange operator (not just mtgox) is a hero in my eyes.  

I am thankful for mtgox, despite their mistakes and screw ups.  I have no reason to believe that their intentions are dishonest.   That's why I will keep supporting them (and other exchanges).

This.

There is absolutely no evidence of malicious intent or dishonesty on the part of mtgox - you can criticise their security for the obvious fact it was compromised, but it's hardly right to criticise their honour.
airdata

Activity: 1148
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 29, 2011, 01:20:32 PM

5 star thread.

How about the Apple Stockholm Syndrome?  Buy overpriced computer.  brag about it.  love it.  bend over and take it when you have to take it to the "geniuses'' and have them charge 50% of the value to fix something that shouldn't be broken.  Or in my case, continue using the iphone while knowing that superior phones are available..

▄▄▄▄███████▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄███████▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄███████▄▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄  ▄▄█████████████████▄▄  ▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▄█████████████████████▄▄█████████████████████▄▄█████████████████████▄
██████████▀▀  █████████████████▀      ▀████████████████▀      ▀████████
▄█████████     ████████████████   ▄██▄   ██████████████   ▄██▄   ███████▄
████████████   ███████████████████████   ████████████████████▀   ████████
████████████   █████████████████████▀   ▄██████████████████     █████████
████████████   ███████████████████▀   ▄██████████████████████▄   ████████
▀███████████   █████████████████▀   ▄██████████████████   ▀██▀   ███████▀
███████████   ████████████████          ███████████████▄      ▄████████
▀█████████████████████▀▀█████████████████████▀▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀█████████████████▀▀  ▀▀█████████████████▀▀  ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀
......swap...Swap, Earn, Bridge, Mint Crypto
& NFT in Multiple Chains
...MVP LIVE...
stic.man

Activity: 168

View Profile
June 29, 2011, 01:49:53 PM

for people with lots of coins/cash in mt gox it takes awhile to get out, in some instances maybe months
foggyb
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1006

View Profile
June 29, 2011, 01:52:05 PM

People love to be slaves!  Grin
Horkabork

Activity: 140

View Profile
June 29, 2011, 02:18:40 PM

I'm getting sick of new threads about Mt. Gox, especially when there is no new conversation to be had. There should just be a subforum for each exchange.

Also, it's one thing to not trust Mt. Gox fully (which nobody should do, as good practice), it's another thing to make the terrible assumption that other exchanges are any safer, just because they haven't been hacked yet. That's like the ever-pervasive claim that Macs are really secure computers, when much of the security they have only comes from them being lesser targets.

Me: 15gbWvpLPfbLJZBsL2u5gkBdL3BUXDbTuF
A goat: http://i52.tinypic.com/34pj4v6.jpg
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2011, 02:46:20 PM

I hate people who used the overused "Wake up" phrase. Wake up people, wake up America, wake up this and that... Just be honest and say "Look here, dumb-ass!"
Gareth Nelson

Activity: 721
Merit: 503

View Profile
June 29, 2011, 02:49:31 PM

I'm getting sick of new threads about Mt. Gox, especially when there is no new conversation to be had. There should just be a subforum for each exchange.

Also, it's one thing to not trust Mt. Gox fully (which nobody should do, as good practice), it's another thing to make the terrible assumption that other exchanges are any safer, just because they haven't been hacked yet. That's like the ever-pervasive claim that Macs are really secure computers, when much of the security they have only comes from them being lesser targets.

OS X is based on a BSD kernel these days, which is provably more secure than the windows NT family of kernels and has been targeted with various attacks for literally decades.
TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
June 29, 2011, 02:54:13 PM

Wake up people. I see many of you falling into a classic Stockholm syndrome. MtGox has had your money and bitcoins captive for over a week and longer for some. Stop defending your captor and leave MtGox. MtGox has trouble getting the simple things like css right the first time, what makes you think they will get the complex things done correctly the first time? Those that dont try to escape enjoy the suffering they are going through.

Stockholm syndrome is when a captive begins to feel loyalty to their captor and sides with them or defends them.

Wake up troll, I see you falling into the classic troll syndrome - assuming people care about the troll-topic you post about. Get back to making YouTube comments, we don't need your simple-simon idiocy here.

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
phatsphere

Activity: 763
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 29, 2011, 02:59:49 PM

most of the time, those captors have strong reasons why they do this ... e.g. big wealthy person did a lot of harm and some victims try to get money from him, etc.

maybe that's a possible explanation?

apart from that, MT has carefully anti-goxed each line of code because he has starred at each one at least for 10 seconds.
dennis_sweden

Activity: 42

View Profile
June 29, 2011, 03:07:50 PM

5 star thread.

How about the Apple Stockholm Syndrome?  Buy overpriced computer.  brag about it.  love it.  bend over and take it when you have to take it to the "geniuses'' and have them charge 50% of the value to fix something that shouldn't be broken.  Or in my case, continue using the iphone while knowing that superior phones are available..

I am not sure how applicable the "Apple Stockholm Syndrome" is to Bitcoins, but boy is the term applicable in its own right. 10 +
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: