Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 01:47:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they believe that the creator of this topic displays some red flags which make them high-risk. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [NOT scam accstn] Bitcoin wallet for Android-Use with Caution - btc gone missing  (Read 1608 times)
goose20 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1173
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 08:18:58 AM
Last edit: June 29, 2013, 04:19:40 PM by goose20

Hi all,

This is not a scam as I do not think any deliberate wrong doing is happening. But I do not think hiding behind 'there is clearly a warning to users' statement when things go wrong is acceptable. The dev is not providing the app as a charity, he obviously hopes to benefit commercially from it - and all the best in that endeavor.

But in the meantime we are his test dummies with real btc and money on the line. And when things go wrong, we shouldn't get the warning statement thrown at us.

I have been using this app for some time with no problems. Then in the last few days the transactions would 'freeze' - stating that 'this transaction has not yet transmitted...' I waited a few days and finally sync'd/replayed the blockchain. Along with the 'frozen' amount of 0.23xxx, the wallet had a balance of 0.05xxx prior to reset.

Now the balance in the wallet prior to sync and the transactions that was 'frozen' have disappeared. I have checked blockchain and nothing went through, so it should have gone back to the wallet. My balance now is only 0.00045xxx in there. So what happened to the balance and frozen trans amounts??

What do users think should be the devs responsibility in such instances?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
infested999

Activity: 854
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 11:58:54 AM

What do users think should be the devs responsibility in such instances?

I want my FREE app to come with 2-year Warranty. I WILL SUE THIS FREE APP.

This is why American's can't have nice things.

▄███▄   ▄███▄
              █████   █████
      ▄███▄    ▀▀▀     ▀▀▀    ▄███▄
      █████     ▄██▄ ▄██▄     █████
       ▀▀▀ ▄██▄ ▀██▀ ▀██▀ ▄██▄ ▀▀▀
 ▄███▄     ▀██▀           ▀██▀     ▄███▄
 █████ ▄██▄                   ▄██▄ █████
  ▀▀▀  ▀██▀                   ▀██▀  ▀▀▀
                       ▄█
▄███▄ ▄██▄            ███ ███  ▄██▄ ▄███▄
█████ ▀██▀  ████      █████    ▀██▀ █████
 ▀▀▀         ▀███▄    ████           ▀▀▀
       ▄██▄    ████   ███     ▄██▄
 ▄███▄ ▀██▀     ▀███  ███     ▀██▀ ▄███▄
 █████            ███▄██           █████
  ▀▀▀              ▀████            ▀▀▀
                     ███
                     ███
                     ██
                   ███

████    ██
  ████    ██
    ████    ██
      ████    ██
        ████    ██
          ████    ██
          ████    ██
        ████    ██
      ████    ██
    ████    ██
  ████    ██
████    ██

White Paper
Yellow Paper
Pitch Deck
Telegram
LinkedIn
Twitter
goose20 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 01:17:53 PM

Hmmm. Infested999 if you have something to say, maybe just say it straight up.

Am not sure, but I figure your post is having a go at me for supposedly complaining about something that's 'Free'. Firstly I dont know how free it is if it takes your btc with nothing much else other than 'yeah we've had some bugs recently, but we're working on that'. (Quote from Goonie on another thread).

Secondly, can I ask you a hypothetical question?

Background: you have a bank account, a free bank account. In this free bank account you have money deposited. One day due to bugs in their system, the bank (where you have the free account) needs to reset their system. After the reset, your money is gone.

Question: do you accept the money as gone and just say 'oh well, it was a FREE bank account after all?
OR. Do you ask some questions? Ask the bank wtf? Ask the regulators wtf? Think it best to maybe CAUTION other free bank account holders that maybe their money isn't safe?

goose20 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 01:48:13 PM

That sentence taken in isolation, maybe. But given that it was proceeded with  "I do not think any deliberate wrong doing is happening" I would say not. Context?

Should there be no accountability in bitcoin? People appreciate what others do for BTC, and provide donations to express that appreciation. But if something goes wrong, and someone suffers a loss, should we all just say 'oh well, shit happens'. Is this how btc makes it to mainstream? Is this what the btc community should accept?

I can appreciate people trying their best. I greatly appreciate people giving their time for btc. I accept that things dont always work out through no fault. We just try to make it better next time.

But I can also appreciate people providing cautions where they have had a not so positive experience. To maybe prevent someone else from experiencing similar. This thread is just that - a caution.
goose20 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 02:46:06 PM

That sentence taken in isolation, maybe. But given that it was proceeded with  "I do not think any deliberate wrong doing is happening" I would say not. Context?
Does everyone who plays tennis hope to become professional? No, only a small number do and its the same with open source. Read up on it and you may realise how insulting it it to an open source developer to simply assume they're doing it with the intention of making a profit.

Fair point. I concede and apologise.

Should there be no accountability in bitcoin? People appreciate what others do for BTC, and provide donations to express that appreciation. But if something goes wrong, and someone suffers a loss, should we all just say 'oh well, shit happens'. Is this how btc makes it to mainstream? Is this what the btc community should accept?
The whole Bitcoin project is beta and it's main developers make that clear any chance they get. This isn't some pre-packaged product your buying, it's freely available code for anyone to copy, use or modify as they see fit. ie. If you don't like it then fix it and, iirc, the licence makes it clear that the author can't be held responsible

I can appreciate people trying their best. I greatly appreciate people giving their time for btc. I accept that things dont always work out through no fault. We just try to make it better next time.
Did you mean to imply the author is making btc for their time?

Not at all. Just saying I donate when I appreciate someones efforts. I hope others donate too when same applies. I hope the receipiant is grateful for the donation. I'm not saying they are only doing it to get donations.

But I can also appreciate people providing cautions where they have had a not so positive experience. To maybe prevent someone else from experiencing similar. This thread is just that - a caution.
There's a big difference between saying "I've had some problems with that software that lost some btc" and saying "Goonie is a scammer". If your not saying the second then why use this section of the forum?
[/quote]

I  am def NOT calling Goonie a scammer. I am just issuing a caution. A please beware. Where in this forum would you suggest is the best place to place such a thread? A warning to others to beware? I will gladly ask this thread be moved if this isn't the best place for it. My thinking was just because this area is called 'scam accusations' its basically a warning area. Somewhere where users can let other users know about potential negative outcomes. I may be wrong though.

I'm just trying to let others know about the apps issues. Others have had similar issues. And the dev has acknowledged the app has had bugs in last couple of months.
goose20 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 04:15:38 PM

An acceptable response to what occurred has been provided by Mike Hearn in other thread.

I repeat this thread was not accusing Goonie of scamming. Was just advising users of the app to use caution as there was an issue with the balance in my wallet.

I apologise to goonie if anyone misinterpreted my intention of this thread.
threeip

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2013, 06:08:19 PM

You can only trust your handset as far as you trust everything running on it.

Personally never had issues with Andreas' clent. Do you have a bunch of other random apps, is your device jailbroken etc?

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ GPG:2AFD99BB ಠ_ಠ mon
goose20 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 30, 2013, 12:06:08 AM

Nah, not jail broken, I dont do things like that. Just a handful of apps. The common ones like eBay and f'book etc.
The app worked great for me for ages as well. The dev/s are trying their best and to his/their credit did provide quick responses and took time to look into what happened.
raze

Activity: 182

View Profile
June 30, 2013, 04:10:30 AM

Yeah, my Android wallet worked for a week or two, then after an update the app would just crash with an error message every time I tried to open it. I didn't have a lot of BTC in there, maybe a few dollars so I'm not that bummed about it but I wouldn't mind getting them back.

BTC --16FPbgyUZdTm1voAfi26VZ3RH7apTFGaPm
LTC -- Lhd3gmj84BWqx7kQgqUA7gyoogsLeJbCXb
PPC -- PRpKGjgjNLFv8eR7VVv7jBaP8aexDFqk4C
threeip

Activity: 154

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2013, 05:31:35 AM

Yeah, my Android wallet worked for a week or two, then after an update the app would just crash with an error message every time I tried to open it. I didn't have a lot of BTC in there, maybe a few dollars so I'm not that bummed about it but I wouldn't mind getting them back.

Did you backup your private keys and import them into some other wallet client?

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ GPG:2AFD99BB ಠ_ಠ mon
raze

View Profile
June 30, 2013, 06:06:13 AM

Did you backup your private keys and import them into some other wallet client?

I did, but they're encrypted. When I try and decrypt it using openssl as seen in the official readme I get "error reading input file". I wonder if the dev is a member here..

raze

View Profile
June 30, 2013, 06:19:11 AM

I dun goofed.

Found the backup on my phone from a few months ago, decrypted no problem, got my 0.0002 BTC back!

Turns out it wasn't a few dollars, oh well. All's well that ends well.

infested999

Activity: 854
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 30, 2013, 09:18:35 AM

Well OP are your bitcoins still in your wallet according to blockchain.info? If so send me your android wallet file so I can take the money out.

▄███▄   ▄███▄
              █████   █████
      ▄███▄    ▀▀▀     ▀▀▀    ▄███▄
      █████     ▄██▄ ▄██▄     █████
       ▀▀▀ ▄██▄ ▀██▀ ▀██▀ ▄██▄ ▀▀▀
 ▄███▄     ▀██▀           ▀██▀     ▄███▄
 █████ ▄██▄                   ▄██▄ █████
  ▀▀▀  ▀██▀                   ▀██▀  ▀▀▀
                       ▄█
▄███▄ ▄██▄            ███ ███  ▄██▄ ▄███▄
█████ ▀██▀  ████      █████    ▀██▀ █████
 ▀▀▀         ▀███▄    ████           ▀▀▀