Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 11:40:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 [104] 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 ... 252 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Just-Dice.com : Invest in 1% House Edge Dice Game  (Read 435281 times)
Rampion
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 08:40:24 AM

What if Nakowa will robb all the profit from JD? Can we withdraw all of our money?

So far it doesn't look like nakowa is "robbing" anything, he is just gambling and winning big time, it doesn't look like he is cheating at all. I've seen much crazier variance playing poker, what nakowa is doing is unlikely but certainly possible.

Plus, all the profit is already gone, the site and its investors are actually losing money. Nothing too strange, nakowa has a huge bankroll compared to the average player, and with just a 1% house edge variance can really make the house to lose a lot of money to a nakowa-like whale.

Nevertheless, he just needs to keep playing.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 08:50:33 AM

There are only 3 potential security vulnerabilities I can see.  They should be addressed as best as is practical to improve investor and player confidence in the site.

1. The OP is running a scam to fleece investors.  Since there is no way to blind the OP to the server seed, investors have no choice but to assume the OP is honest or to not invest.

2. The implentation of the RNG is flawed.  It would be useful to review the RNG implementation and see if there are any possible ways to further ensure the results are truly random with no predictable pattern.
Some ideas:
A. Perhaps re-randomizing the server seed every roll would help since nonce would always be 1. If this was too taxing on the server, then only re-randomize the server seed every roll for bets over a certain size (eg. 10 BTC).
B. Pull random numbers from a hardware RNG.  Could use a site such as random.org (my concern though would be trading the risk of the OP for risk of a new entity).  This random # would be used as the server seed (cannot be used as the seed # for hashing since would not be provably fair).

3. Security of the server.  This is the biggest concern since hosted on a cloud VPS.  A VPS employee could be compromising the server directly.  Solution would be to move to a dedicated server for increased secured which would seem prudent (even if this is not the issue with nakowa's improbable wins).  Millions of USD worth of bitcoins are at stake afterall.

1. OP / Operator / Owner = honest. No further questions, your honor.
2. RNG flawed? Not really, but I still say, as I have been saying since the site went up, the numbers are not random, and the numbers are predictable. The numbers are also uniformly distributed. I can't back it up. So no one is listening to me. But I bet, my next roll is going to win. Dung beetles, golden dragons, and lucky seeds.

A. You can't do that, or some people won't play under those rules. It will not be seen as provably fair.
B. Intel has a hardware RNG.

3. I can't really comment on this as I have no experience with the difference between clouds and dedicated servers. Either way, the servers can still be compromised.

What I can tell you all, if I had the same bankroll as Nakowa, I would probably be doing the same thing, however I will be playing on 87.7779% and not 50% or 49.5%.

allover

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

In mathematics we believe.

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 09:11:53 AM

I'm quite tempted to just give up on this whole thing.  It looks like the site is simply at nakowa's mercy.  He's promised me in the past that he won't play any more, but never sticks to his word.  So what do I do?  Continue to let the investors take these horrific losses?

Several people who have run gambling sites chimed in on reddit, bitcointalk.org and IRC with a similar comment:  "1% is too low"

And on CYA front:  make sure the website text frequently notes the "high risk" nature of gambling and investing, because it is a startup business model and a startup website running on a startup currency Smiley

The insta-investing feature is nice in general, even if investors lost a shirt or two.  Innovative.

YES, it is wise to raise house edge to 1.98%. That's my advice, which will hardly be accepted.

http://letsdice.com | True dice game, Jackpot accumulated, Huge referral rewards!
IdealDarkness

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 09:17:41 AM

"I'm quite tempted to just give up on this whole thing.  It looks like the site is simply at nakowa's mercy.  He's promised me in the past that he won't play any more, but never sticks to his word.  So what do I do?  Continue to let the investors take these horrific losses?"

Well, that's a two edged thing... When U+Investors are in profit, I'm sure U+Investors doesn't care all of the people who had losses. Now U+Investors are in loss, don't think nakowa won't play anymore. Let's be honest, If u find the winning strategy, or simply U have luck, won't U do the same?
elm
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 09:19:18 AM

There are only 3 potential security vulnerabilities I can see.  They should be addressed as best as is practical to improve investor and player confidence in the site.

1. The OP is running a scam to fleece investors.  Since there is no way to blind the OP to the server seed, investors have no choice but to assume the OP is honest or to not invest.

2. The implentation of the RNG is flawed.  It would be useful to review the RNG implementation and see if there are any possible ways to further ensure the results are truly random with no predictable pattern.
Some ideas:
A. Perhaps re-randomizing the server seed every roll would help since nonce would always be 1. If this was too taxing on the server, then only re-randomize the server seed every roll for bets over a certain size (eg. 10 BTC).
B. Pull random numbers from a hardware RNG.  Could use a site such as random.org (my concern though would be trading the risk of the OP for risk of a new entity).  This random # would be used as the server seed (cannot be used as the seed # for hashing since would not be provably fair).

3. Security of the server.  This is the biggest concern since hosted on a cloud VPS.  A VPS employee could be compromising the server directly.  Solution would be to move to a dedicated server for increased secured which would seem prudent (even if this is not the issue with nakowa's improbable wins).  Millions of USD worth of bitcoins are at stake afterall.

1. OP / Operator / Owner = honest. No further questions, your honor.
2. RNG flawed? Not really, but I still say, as I have been saying since the site went up, the numbers are not random, and the numbers are predictable. The numbers are also uniformly distributed. I can't back it up. So no one is listening to me. But I bet, my next roll is going to win. Dung beetles, golden dragons, and lucky seeds.

A. You can't do that, or some people won't play under those rules. It will not be seen as provably fair.
B. Intel has a hardware RNG.

3. I can't really comment on this as I have no experience with the difference between clouds and dedicated servers. Either way, the servers can still be compromised.

What I can tell you all, if I had the same bankroll as Nakowa, I would probably be doing the same thing, however I will be playing on 87.7779% and not 50% or 49.5%.

1. How can one be sure? I think if it is 100% provably fair and the OP and player and whoever else has no chance to get hold of the final outcome in advance than the OP is honest.
does something like 100% provably fair exist? if yes, then my next question would be, is JD 100% provably fair?

2. if the numbers of the RNG are not random this would explain everything. but why would JD chose a RNG that is not random? a RNG that is not random is not a RNG imho Smiley
could You explain Your view in more depth. this would be very interesting to understand (at least for me)

thanks
allover

Activity: 98

In mathematics we believe.

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 09:28:38 AM

"I'm quite tempted to just give up on this whole thing.  It looks like the site is simply at nakowa's mercy.  He's promised me in the past that he won't play any more, but never sticks to his word.  So what do I do?  Continue to let the investors take these horrific losses?"

Well, that's a two edged thing... When U+Investors are in profit, I'm sure U+Investors doesn't care all of the people who had losses. Now U+Investors are in loss, don't think nakowa won't play anymore. Let's be honest, If u find the winning strategy, or simply U have luck, won't U do the same?

^^^

FACT: Investors on JD are always gambling although they might have an EV of -1%. However, because of variance, they might well lose from time to time, just as other gamblers do.

http://letsdice.com | True dice game, Jackpot accumulated, Huge referral rewards!
drawingthesun
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 09:29:47 AM

Why not use your towtoad account?
Lohoris

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

Bitgoblin

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 11:40:35 AM

I think this is irresponsible at this point, max bet should be lowered to protect investors in my opinion.
Problem is that the whole point of j-d is to gather funds from many investors, to raise a high max bet.
If he was to lower the max bet, likely he would have been able to do it with his own funds.
(as Deprived has explained many times, assuming I got it right)

1LohorisJie8bGGG7X4dCS9MAVsTEbzrhu
DefaultTrust is very BAD.
Jls.

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 11:56:44 AM

Problem is that the whole point of j-d is to gather funds from many investors, to raise a high max bet.
If he was to lower the max bet, likely he would have been able to do it with his own funds.
(as Deprived has explained many times, assuming I got it right)

While this assertion is true, I believe that JD's public funding model has at least 2 advantages regardless of maxbet :
- creating a little army of advertisers (investors)
- turning a portion of investors into gamblers

I doubt that JD would be where it stands nowadays without this unique feature.
tucenaber

Activity: 337
Merit: 252

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 12:38:28 PM
Last edit: September 24, 2013, 01:31:43 PM by tucenaber

Some thoughts on the whale's win today (conclusion: he had a 67% chance of pulling it off).

The whale can STOP betting when he chooses, so the probability of what happened today is not as low as it seems.  I haven't dug up the exact numbers, but let's assume:

1. He wanted to win 2500 BTC (after which point he would stop gambling)
2. He was willing to go down as much as 10,000 BTC before giving up
3. He was betting 200 BTC each time and always attempting to 2X his bet (this just simplifies the simulation).  

I ran the following Mathematica code:

In[6]=
bankroll := 10000;
target := 2500;
n := 10000;

bet := If[Random[] > .505, 1, -1]

outcomes = Table[profit = 0;
   While[profit < target && bankroll > -profit, profit += 200 * bet ];
   If[profit > 0, 1., 0], {n}];

100 * (Plus @@ outcomes)/ n

Out[6]= 67.23

So, 67% of the times that he applies this strategy he would earn his 2500BTC target before going bust.  

There is a closed form theoretical solution to this problem.
With the above strategy, the chance of reaching your target before going bust is

(1-r^a)/(1-r^(a+b)), where r=p/(1-p)

p = chance of losing the bet, (=0.505)
a = bankroll / betsize
b = target / betsize

As in the example earlier: bankroll =10000, target=25002600, bet=200 gives a probability of 6968%
Jonny Heggheim

Activity: 74

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 12:53:15 PM

I'm quite tempted to just give up on this whole thing.  It looks like the site is simply at nakowa's mercy.
Think of all the "free" PR, wagering is probably increasing..
Jonny Heggheim

Activity: 74

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 12:58:42 PM

Think of all the "free" PR, wagering is probably increasing..
One example http://www.news.com.au/technology/the-biggest-bitcoin-win-in-gambling-history/story-e6frfro0-1226725824027
Bugpowder

Activity: 394
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 01:05:36 PM

The site is 'probably fair'.    LOL!
zebedee
Donator

Activity: 668
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 01:24:38 PM

So what do I do?  Continue to let the investors take these horrific losses?

yes, nobody is forced to invest or stay invested.

Agree with jabetizo.  But I've also not seen you, dooglus, take the possibility seriously that he has exploited your site.

As you aren't invested you don't have skin in that game (only skin in the 10% free option).  As a potential investor / sender of money to your site, I find that confidence worrying.
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 03:22:19 PM

I typed a long reply, then the forum crapped on me some error so I lost it. I will try to recreate my answer.

1. How can one be sure? I think if it is 100% provably fair and the OP and player and whoever else has no chance to get hold of the final outcome in advance than the OP is honest.
does something like 100% provably fair exist? if yes, then my next question would be, is JD 100% provably fair?

2. if the numbers of the RNG are not random this would explain everything. but why would JD chose a RNG that is not random? a RNG that is not random is not a RNG imho Smiley
could You explain Your view in more depth. this would be very interesting to understand (at least for me)

thanks

1. The site is provably fair for players. No site or dice game is provably fair for investors other than the owner. Slow games, like my lotto, are perfectly provably fair, but you have to wait 1 week for the results. No one is going to play dice with a 1 week delay.

2. The RNG is not even a RNG. It uses a deterministic but secure hash function in a message authentication code format. The results look random. They are not. They are uniformly distributed.

JD's rolls have 3 components: a server seed, a client seed, and an incrementing nonce. The server seed does not change until you Randomize. The client seed does not change. The nonce goes up by one for every roll.

I believed, and I still do, that you can predict a pattern.

For a short time, I ran a pseudo gambling investment (DIGS) where I collected other people's money and gambled them in a carefully planned martingale strategy. Mostly for fun. Until I made a mistake, which was something I actually predicted.

I lost 6 consecutive times. The bet now is, I'm going to win the next roll, or the 7th bet. Everyone calls this the Gambler's Fallacy. Doesn't matter. Nakowa is afflicted with the same disease.

For lack of a true scientific explanation, I resorted to just saying I had magic seeds. However, my understanding of statistics and probabilities, or the lack thereof, convinced me that I can exploit this predictable or deterministic pattern.

But. No one believes me, and I can't explain myself.

If I lose, they told me so. If I win, I just got lucky. Even though I said I knew it, I couldn't possible have predicted it.

So, no one is sending me coins, I'll just have to wait patiently until I have enough to go gamble it again. Wanna bet? Send me coins and I will gamble it for you using my so called magic seeds, and I'll send you back the profit, if you'll let me keep the change.

I told everyone, send me 100, I will send back 110, after making 112, and I'll keep the 2, if I win. If I lose, it was a gamble huh.... ... Hehehehe. Stupid magic seeds, stupid dragon babies, stupid dung beetle...

Anyway, you asked for my point of view.

organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2013, 03:27:09 PM

<snip>

2. The RNG is not even a RNG. It uses a deterministic but secure hash function in a message authentication code format. The results look random. They are not. They are uniformly distributed.

<snip>

A uniformly distributed random number is still a random number, Dabs. You're saying here that the results aren't random because they're random? Cheesy

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
Rampion
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 03:32:24 PM

I typed a long reply, then the forum crapped on me some error so I lost it. I will try to recreate my answer.

thanks

1. The site is provably fair for players. No site or dice game is provably fair for investors other than the owner. Slow games, like my lotto, are perfectly provably fair, but you have to wait 1 week for the results. No one is going to play dice with a 1 week delay.

JD's rolls have 3 components: a server seed, a client seed, and an incrementing nonce. The server seed does not change until you Randomize. The client seed does not change. The nonce goes up by one for every roll.

I believed, and I still do, that you can predict a pattern.

For a short time, I ran a pseudo gambling investment (DIGS) where I collected other people's money and gambled them in a carefully planned martingale strategy. Mostly for fun. Until I made a mistake, which was something I actually predicted.

I lost 6 consecutive times. The bet now is, I'm going to win the next roll, or the 7th bet. Everyone calls this the Gambler's Fallacy. Doesn't matter. Nakowa is afflicted with the same disease.

For lack of a true scientific explanation, I resorted to just saying I had magic seeds. However, my understanding of statistics and probabilities, or the lack thereof, convinced me that I can exploit this predictable or deterministic pattern.

But. No one believes me, and I can't explain myself.

If I lose, they told me so. If I win, I just got lucky. Even though I said I knew it, I couldn't possible have predicted it.

So, no one is sending me coins, I'll just have to wait patiently until I have enough to go gamble it again. Wanna bet? Send me coins and I will gamble it for you using my so called magic seeds, and I'll send you back the profit, if you'll let me keep the change.

I told everyone, send me 100, I will send back 110, after making 112, and I'll keep the 2, if I win. If I lose, it was a gamble huh.... ... Hehehehe. Stupid magic seeds, stupid dragon babies, stupid dung beetle...

Anyway, you asked for my point of view.

The fact is that both you and nakowa speak about "spotting a pattern" (gambler's phallacy in its purest form), but neither of you cannot clearly explain a) how do you find the pattern and b) why this pattern (and thus flaw) exists.

xypos

Activity: 532
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 03:36:15 PM

I invested in the wrong time it seems  Angry
I lost a lot already
qxzn

Activity: 609
Merit: 505

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 04:54:34 PM

As for the calls to "change something", if he's cheating then limiting the maximum bet won't stop him winning, and if he isn't cheating and is just lucky then limiting the maximum bet will only slow his inevitable losses.  I don't see how it helps in either case.

One thing that I can change that will protect investors is whether the site is up or not.  If I take it down they won't lose any more.  But I suspect that most investors wouldn't like that decision.  They want the site to stay up so they can win their coins back again.  The ones who want this to end have the option already of divesting.

I'm quite tempted to just give up on this whole thing.  It looks like the site is simply at nakowa's mercy.  He's promised me in the past that he won't play any more, but never sticks to his word.  So what do I do?  Continue to let the investors take these horrific losses?

Dooglus, if you can find ways to demonstrate / reassure yourself and investors that the RNG is good and the site has not been compromised, I think that's all you can do.

This event sucks in the short term, but in the long term, assuming the site/RNG are secure, all this publicity could work out in favor of the house.
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 05:02:44 PM

loool. way to miss the point, mr. journalist. hilarious.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
Pages: « 1 ... 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 [104] 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 ... 252 »
  Print  

Jump to: