Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:08:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: best movie you have ever seen in your life  (Read 4707 times)
PrintMule

Activity: 980
Merit: 500

FREE $50 BONUS - STAKE - [click signature]

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 06:00:52 PM

I don't get it, who nominated godFARTer as the best movie ever? Is it some kind of snowball effect? Is it because of IMDB?

I'd pick... say, "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" over godfather any day. And it's not even in my top 20.

I know direction is great, and it's full of them easy to remember quotes, but come on, not the best!

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
████████▀▀▀        ▀▀█████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████▀    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄    ███████████████████████████████████████████████
█████    ▄█████████▌   ▐█████▀  ▐███████████████▌  ▀██████████████████
████▌   ▐██████████    █████    ████████████████    ██████████████████
████▌   ▐█████████▄▄▄▄█████▌   ▐███████████████▌   ▐███▀▀█████████████
█████    ▀███████████████▀▀        ▄███████████    ██▀   ▐████████████
██████▄     ▀▀███████▀▀         ▄▄███▀▀▀▀█████▌   ▐▀   ▄███▀▀   ▀█████
█████████▄▄     ▀▀███▄  ▄▄    ████▀    ▄   ███       ▄███▀   ▄█  ▐████
█████████████▄▄     ▀████▌   ▐███▀   ███   ██▌      ████    ██▀  █████
██████▀▀   ▀█████▄    ███    ████   ███▌  ▐██    ▌  ▐██▌      ▄▄██████
█████    ▄████████    ▐██    ██▀▀   ██▀   ▐▀    ▐█   ██▌   ▀██▀▀  ████
████▌   ▐████████▀    ███▄     ▄▄▄     ▄    ▄   ▐██   ██▄      ▄▄█████
████▌   ███████▀    ▄███████████████████████████████▄  ▀▀██████▀▀ ████
█████    ▀▀▀▀     ▄█████████▀    ▀█▀    ▀█       ▀████▄▄         ▄████
██████▄▄    ▄▄▄▄████████████  █████  ██  █  █  █  ████████████████████
█████████████████████████  █▄    ▄█▄    ▄█  █  █  ████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
█  ▄▀▄             █▀▀▐▀▄▄
█  █▀█             █  ▐  ▐▌
█       ▄██▄       █  ▌  █
█     ▄██████▄     █  ▌ ▐▌
█    ██████████    █ ▐  █
█   ▐██████████▌   █ ▐ ▐▌
█    ▀▀██████▀▀    █ ▌ █
█     ▄▄▄██▄▄▄     █ ▌▐▌
█                  █▐ █
█                  █▐▐▌
█                  █▐█
▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀█
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█▀▀▀█████████▀▀▀█▄
▄█▀    ▄▀█████▀     ▀█▄
▄█▄    █        ▀▄   ███▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▄       ▄▀▀▀▀▀███▄
████      ▀▄▄▄▄▄▀       ███
███     ▄▄███████▄▄     ▄▀█
█  ▀▄ ▄▀ ▀███████▀ ▀▄ ▄▀  █
▀█   █     ▀███▀     ▀▄  █▀
▀█▄▄█▄      █        █▄█▀
▀█████▄ ▄▀▀ ▀▀▄▄ ▄▄███▀
▀█████        ████▀
▀▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀▀
● OVER 1000 GAMES
● DAILY RACES AND BONUSES
● 24/7 LIVE SUPPORT

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
escrow.ms
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 06:14:27 PM

I don't get it, who nominated godFARTer as the best movie ever? Is it some kind of snowball effect? Is it because of IMDB?

I'd pick... say, "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" over godfather any day. And it's not even in my top 20.

I know direction is great, and it's full of them easy to remember quotes, but come on, not the best!
FirstAscent

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 06:20:38 PM

It depends on who you ask. It's not really related to IMDB. If you're referring to the link I posted, IMDB was just reporting the results of the Sight & Sound poll, which is presented by the British Film Institute, and is generally considered to be one of the most important film polls out there, polling only critics and directors. If you poll the public, then you only get recent films, and a couple cult classics from the '70s, typically.

I've only watched The Godfather once. I'll probably watch it again some day. In the meantime, I'll watch nearly every Yasujiro Ozu film many times over, I'll be a glutton for any Mikio Naruse film I can get my hands on, every Edward Yang film I can get my hand on, just about any Coen Brothers film, any Wong Kar-Wai film, and I'm developing an interest in Ingmar Bergman. That's not to say I don't enjoy a good Marvel film or recent thriller.

Now, you keep hearing me mention Yasujiro Ozu. You won't understand why until you give him a shot. Watch two or three of his films, and something transcendental happens. Seeing as he has two films in the top twenty on the worldwide Sight & Sound poll, something must be going on there.

Buy this package - you'll be happy you did. It will be half off at Barnes & Noble next week: http://www.criterion.com/boxsets/427-eclipse-series-3-late-ozu

Note: it includes five films. Numbers 2 through 5 are some of my favorites of all time. The first one is okay.
RoadToHell

Activity: 260
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 07:17:43 PM

Pretty tough to pick a single "best movie you have ever seen."  Here are 10 that I really like that come to mind quickly.  If I spent more time I know I would come up with others that would bump some of these off my list.

Blade Runner
   Casablanca
   2001: A Space Odyssey
   The Lord of the Rings trilogy *
   The Red Violin
   A Fistful of Dollars
   Hombre
   Forbidden Planet
   The Maltese Falcon
   Thunder Road

* Counts as 1 movie

And here are some that didn't make my list (or anyone else's so far) apparently because they are too damn funny to be on a list like this:

Animal House
   Blazing Saddles
   Young Frankenstein
   Caddyshack
   Stripes

Sam Spade: We were talking about a lot more money than this.
Kasper Gutman: Yes, sir, we were, but this is genuine coin of the realm. With a dollar of this, you can buy ten dollars of talk.
FirstAscent

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 07:39:39 PM

Pretty tough to pick a single "best movie you have ever seen."  Here are 10 that I really like that come to mind quickly.  If I spent more time I know I would come up with others that would bump some of these off my list.

Blade Runner
   Casablanca
   2001: A Space Odyssey
   The Lord of the Rings trilogy *
   The Red Violin
   A Fistful of Dollars
   Hombre
   Forbidden Planet
   The Maltese Falcon
   Thunder Road

* Counts as 1 movie

And here are some that didn't make my list (or anyone else's so far) apparently because they are too damn funny to be on a list like this:

Animal House
   Blazing Saddles
   Young Frankenstein
   Caddyshack
   Stripes

Some pretty good choices I think, within the framework of Hollywood. I will confess some deficiency myself in exploring films from Europe and Russia, which I hope to rectify. But I recently started exploring the canon of films from East Asia, and it has changed my outlook drastically. Mid 20th century Japanese melodrama is a great place to start, along with the Japanese New Wave of the '60s. Modern cinema from Hong Kong, Taiwan and the mainland are another.

Obviously, you haven't yet seen Sansho the Bailiff.

Best way to start is to start reading blogs and reviews which mention the following directors: Kenji Mizoguchi, Edward Yang, Mikio Naruse, Yasujiro Ozu, Hiroshi Teshigahara, Masahiro Shinoda, Shohei Immamura, Hou Hsiao-Hsien, Akira Kurosawa, Keisuke Kinoshita, Wong Kar-Wai, Chen Kaige, Stanley Kwan, and others.

In retrospect, I feel as though my life's cinematic experience prior to discovering the films of the above listed was, to say the least, narrow, and missing out on some great beauty.

Apparently, I am the only person in these forums aware of these films. It's kind of like you keep telling people about a gourmet paradise just around that corner, and they keep not seeing the corner while they fight over whether to patronize McDonald's or Burger King.
FirstAscent

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 08:28:18 PM

Okay, so I was checking out videos on YouTube, and I stumbled onto a video which interviews Kubrick during the premiere of 2001: A Space Odyssey.

And then, on a whim, I started reading the comments. Funny. What I witnessed were people arguing about who was the greatest director, or what was the greatest film. People were arguing Yasujiro Ozu vs. Orson Welles vs. Stanley Kubrick vs. Godard. Kenji Mizoguchi was mentioned. Somebody had the nerve to mention Christopher Nolan. The Godfather was mentioned. 

Interview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdKHuyhhyuM
rxgonzale

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 09:56:04 PM

one flew over the cuckoos nest

simply brilliant Smiley
FirstAscent

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 10:14:08 PM

one flew over the cuckoos nest

simply brilliant Smiley

I really need to add that one to my list over in this thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=246542.0
jago25_98

Activity: 900

Crypto Geek

View Profile WWW
July 05, 2013, 10:39:50 PM

Some films are pretty good but they seem to get the timing just right and articulate what people are thinking about at just the right moment. Sometimes with art if it's balanced just right such that it's open to interpretation it can be like the film was written especially for you.

Fight Club.

Day of the Dead (I found it very funny for some reason)
Films of the style Moon, Shawshank, Green Mile all safe bets but I really like it when a film is more specific on something rather than a big impact on something everybody reacts to.

Thank you for the Japanese films FirstAscent. Seems you have a greater appreciation for Direction than I but there's a few to look at there so will have to check them out. I guess you liked OldBoy...?
Amazed there's no Anime mentioned yet. Would expect Akira, Castle in the Sky. But then I'd also expect here to see Pan's Labyrinth & ...Dirty Dancing.... Greese....

Bitcoiner since the early days. Crypto YouTube Channel: Trading Nomads | Analyst | News Reporter | Bitcoin Hodler | Support Freedom of Speech!
FirstAscent

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 02:38:17 AM

But then I'd also expect here to see Pan's Labyrinth.....

I loved Pan's Labyrinth. Wonderful film. I have it on Blu-ray.

I guess you liked OldBoy...?

Go to any forums populated by cinephiles, knowledgeable movie watchers, film scholars, and so on, and you'll discover soon enough the threads that discuss the essential directors, the essential film canons, and so on. Among those lists are the essential Asian directors and Asian film canons. Oldboy will generally be mentioned here and there in those discussions, with some claiming its greatness, and others saying its overrated. Nonetheless, there's no way I could not be aware of it. I have it on Blu-ray, but I have not yet seen it. I do intend to watch it, and I'm looking forward to it.

But in and amongst those discussions and those lists of essential films and directors, you will always, always, always find discussion, praise, admiration and critical acclaim (and the occasional dissenters) for the following Asian directors:

- Yasujiro Ozu
- Kenji Mizoguchi
- Edward Yang
- Akira Kurosawa
- Wong Kar-Wai
- Mikio Naruse
- Hou Hsai Hsein
- Nagasi Oshima

And a few others. I could easily add ten or twenty more. For the most part, these directors are not just directors. They are what are known as auteurs. An auteur is always a director, but a director isn't necessarily an auteur. An auteur has a unique style, a unique voice, which is instantly recognizable, not unlike how a Van Gogh painting is instantly recognizable as being painted by Van Gogh.

As I said, their films are essential viewing. To put it bluntly, to not watch them would be either because one simply is unaware of these directors or their works, or is voluntarily choosing to ignore their works, at their own expense.

I'm not some guy mentioning some set of obscure films that some tiny, minor fraction of the population would ever enjoy. What I am is some guy pointing people to a film canon that is universally acknowledge by film critics, scholars, directors and in general, cinephiles, to be be the best of the best, the cream of the crop, etc.

But true enjoyment of these films sometimes takes a little work. They are masterpieces in their own ways, but sometimes they don't give up their treasures in a single viewing. As an example, Ozu films are often double or triple themed, with the dominant theme residing behind another them running counter to the dominant theme. Furthermore, his film grammar is truly unique, and might seem simplistic and quaint, and yet it is beautiful in its subtlety. It takes time to appreciate him, and then something wonderful happens. Wong Kar-Wai films also give out exactly what you put into them. Your average Hollywood movie goer simply is not going to grasp Wong Kar-Wai's 2046 on the first viewing.

More to come...
FirstAscent

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 05:04:58 PM
Last edit: July 06, 2013, 08:08:24 PM by FirstAscent

So Quentin Tarantino talks about Wong Kar-Wai in the link below, and in particular, he discusses Chungking Express, which I have mentioned a few times in this thread and provided a clip to in the "Favorite movie moments" thread. He also mentions Days of Being Wild, Ashes of Time and Fallen Angels, which I've mentioned as well here or in other threads.

Quentin Tarantino provides some context for Chungking Express: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoHg-RvcwzE

Here's a brilliant clip from Chungking Express: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBqHAPgB494

Peter Lambert

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye

View Profile
July 08, 2013, 02:09:08 AM

Titanic

I thought Titanic was a horrible movie when I watched it. I guess art is in the eye of the beholder, I just didn't see why people like that. For one thing I thought Leonardo DiCaprio did a horrible job acting, his more recent films he does much better in, like I really enjoyed "Inception". And I do not find Kate Winslet attractive at all.

Use CoinBR to trade bitcoin stocks: CoinBR.com

The best place for betting with bitcoin: BitBet.us
Koekienmonster

Activity: 23

View Profile
July 08, 2013, 02:46:44 AM

The Godfather pII
FirstAscent

View Profile
July 08, 2013, 03:35:46 AM

Titanic

I thought Titanic was a horrible movie when I watched it. I guess art is in the eye of the beholder, I just didn't see why people like that. For one thing I thought Leonardo DiCaprio did a horrible job acting, his more recent films he does much better in, like I really enjoyed "Inception". And I do not find Kate Winslet attractive at all.

What are some of the things you want to get out of a film when you see it?

A window into world you aren't normally privy to? I don't mean fantasy/sci-fi stuff. I just mean subcultures, periods, places that aren't a part of your own life.

Favorite actor/actresses? Do you find pleasure in the familiarity of an actress that has charisma, and plays her roles very well?

An avant garde style? Films which completely twist the methods of portrayal?

Explorations of the existential? Films which explore the nature of identity, one's place in society, an examination of the psyche?

Older films contemporary to their time - i.e. a 1960's film which portrays the '60s.

Period films. Films which portray an earlier time.

Films which are essentially melodramas? Films which explore relationships and plights of the individual within the family and society.

Of course, there are many others, such as adventure, thrillers, biopics, battle, anti-war, and so on.
FirstAscent

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 03:33:07 AM

I keep reading phenomenal stuff about this film. I really want to see it now: https://vimeo.com/30090257
pallokala

Activity: 13

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2013, 07:29:16 AM

The Good, The Bad And The Ugly
jeannie

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 07:32:48 AM

I like Benhur a lot