Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 03:15:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A simple tool to migrate between different electrum wallet types  (Read 137 times)
stepansnigirev (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 12:25:08 AM
Last edit: November 29, 2017, 09:15:42 PM by stepansnigirev

Hi everyone,

I am using electrum for quite some time and I was really happy to see that now it supports segwit.
The only problem during migration was that I already remembered my standart electrum seed, and I didn't want to learn 12 more words for segwit wallet for no good reason. So I wrote a tool that changes a seed by one single word and allows to use segwit or other type of wallet with only small changes in the seed.

Maybe it will be useful for the community, so here it is: https://www.seed-modifier.com/

It is open source, source code is here: https://github.com/stepansnigirev/seed-modifier
It doesn't depend on any libraries or frameworks, it doesn't need internet connection and should work offline.

A simple example:
Let's say your standart electrum seed is:

kit venture inmate circle ski prevent burst zoo upon rather angle ancient

From the tool you will get:

Segwit seed: kit venture inmate circle ski prevent burst zoo upon rather angle scale
2FA seed: kit venture inmate circle ski prevent burst zoo upon spring angle ancient
BIP-39 seed: kit venture inmate circle ski prevent burst zoo upon rather angle animal

Each of these seeds are different from the original one by 1 word.

But! As this tool works with your private keys, you really want to be careful, so don't trust me.
I would recommend the following steps to keep you safe:

- Download the source code from github
- Go offline (or even boot to life cd)
- Open index.html page in incognito mode without any browser extensions
- Type your seed and generate seeds for other wallet types
- Write down your new seeds and close the browser
- Go back online

Currently the tool supports only english language and there are still a few improvements to do. If you find it useful, let me know, I will continue working on it, if it's crap that no one else uses, I will just move on. I will be glad to hear any feedback as it's my first try in bitcoin dev )
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: