Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 10:14:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: sync forum servers using ntpd (relevant for auctions)  (Read 513 times)
excalibur (OP)

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 10:32:34 PM

Dear Admins of bitcointalk.org,
I value your work a lot and enjoy being here on this forum, for free. This is a great place where some great minds share their ideas. Now that the forum is so widely used, and a very good place to advertise auctions of bitcoin related goods, I've seen quite a few auctions suffering from the forum timestamp, which is a bit off the standard UTC time. In normal forum discussions, this doesn't matter at all. But in auctions (and we even have a subsection just for them), it matters a great deal if your bid was before or after auction end. At the moment, many users experience problems when trying to determine if a bid was in time for an auction, because the timestamps of the forum are off by about 135 seconds. As you can guess, unpleasant disputes can arise from this, because it is difficult, or even impossible, to find out the exact offset.

Hence, I would like to suggest to sync the server time of the bitcointalk.org servers by using ntpd. This is a reliable and proven method to always keep server time close to the true time. This allows users to agree upon the timestamps of bid-posts as the ultimate reference when determining their timeliness and avoids disputes.

Thank you,
Excalibur
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: