Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 06:58:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: more then one wallet  (Read 321 times)
legend018 (OP)

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 21, 2017, 01:35:33 PM

If you use different wallets. Say one on your phone, one on your computer etc. etc - is that normal? That means you have to keep track of more right?
Is it recommended that you pick your wallet and stick with that wallet only?  To go along with this, lets say you run the bitcoin core on your machine and you use the wallet for buying and selling coins.
They also have a mobile app - is that a different wallet from the one you run on your computer? If you run bitcoin core on your machine and use that wallet to buy coins, can you transfer it to say your mycelium wallet?
In a nut shell - should I stay away from using too many wallets or is that the norm? 

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
bob123
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 2481

View Profile WWW
November 21, 2017, 02:44:06 PM

You can use as much wallets as you want. There is no threat or anything when using different wallets.
You should just watch out for any compromised wallets or non-trustworthy wallets.
I am also using 3 wallets. 1 Hardware wallet where i store most of my coins, 1 desktop wallet which is used for small amounts.
And a mobile wallet to be able to recieve/send funds when im not at home. But a mobile wallet shouln't be regarded as fully secured.
Android phones have a lot vulnerabilities, therefore you should be only storing small amounts on mobile wallets.

LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3304
Merit: 16609

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
November 21, 2017, 06:06:22 PM

In a nut shell - should I stay away from using too many wallets or is that the norm?  
There is no "norm", one of the great things about Bitcoin is that you can do whatever suits you. I use Bitcoin Core, Electrum, cold storage, and different mobile wallets. I even have an encrypted paper wallet with some funds in my wallet. If I ever end up in a place that accepts Bitcoin, I can pay with Bitcoin.
For altcoins it's an even bigger collection of different wallets.

My system slowly evolves to fit my needs, and it changes when the Bitcoin price goes up. I used to easily trust my phone with 100 mBTC when it was worth $30. That same amount is worth $800 now, which is more than I'm willing to risk on my phone.

Android phones have a lot vulnerabilities, therefore you should be only storing small amounts on mobile wallets.
If you ever want to receive large amounts on your mobile, you could import one of your secure cold storage addresses read-only into for instance your Android Mycelium wallet.

Zocadas

Activity: 909
Merit: 508

View Profile
November 21, 2017, 09:49:00 PM

It is usual and recommendet to have more than one wallet. I have alone on mobile device several wallets where I have my own private keys. It would be only problematic, if you get little payments because the fee could be higher than the funds on wallet, like it happened to me on blockchain.info wallet.
Bigbangcrazy

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 22, 2017, 08:52:07 AM

It is good idea to have your savings in cold wallet and balance for spending in "hot" wallet. I like Electrum - easy backup (seed is everything you need), ability to sign transactions offline, easy management of more wallets on one PC, watch-only wallets (made from your cold wallet to be able to see balance, incoming transactions and to be able to create transactions for offline signing).
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: