Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 02:20:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Butterfly Labs refusing refunds?  (Read 5301 times)
MooC Tals

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 07:34:34 PM

Looks like everyone is getting BFL'd

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ASIC-K

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

Hell?

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 07:36:54 PM

i asked for a refund a couple days ago. no response. i did file a paypal complaint and just waiting on that now. its been in dispute for the last 3 days. no response from bfl yet. wha ta terrible piece of crap company. i cant believe they are still taking NEW ORDERS. wtf.
Inedible

Activity: 700

What doesn't kill you only makes you sicker!

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 07:48:10 PM

Looks like everyone is getting BFL'd

This is fair if you expected delivery in several months. Something most people ordering now should expect or have been told.

Only the people who ordered months ago and were continually promised "soon" have any grounds for a refund.

If this post was useful, interesting or entertaining, then you've misunderstood.
Flying Hellfish
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1754

Verified Bernie Bro - Feel The Bern!

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 08:46:21 PM

Getting a customer to agree to something that is against federal regulations will not relieve BFL of complying with those regulations LDO.

When a company offers a product for sale that is not in stock they must provide a definitive shipping date, I doubt many people think 2 months OR more is definitive.

When the first delivery date is missed a new revised definitive delivery date must be given along with a reason for the delay.  They must also obtain the customers approval for the first delay and EACH delay after (which they must also supply a definitive date and reason for).  If they do not provide this info or obtain the customers consent they actually must refund the customer.

The company must also cancel an order and issue a refund if the customer exercises any option to cancel the order BEFORE the product ships.

In order for a sale to take place a person must pay for and receive a product (or service), until the customer receives his product (or it ships) a sale has not taken place and hence why it is called an order and not a sale yet, hence all sales are final in this situation is not applicable.   Typically All Sales are Final refers to once a customer receives the product that they are then not able to return the product for a refund (after the sale has taken place).

This is all my interpretation of what I have researched IANAL.

http://business.ftc.gov/documents/bus02-business-guide-mail-and-telephone-order-merchandise-rule

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=250985.0

File a complaint with the FTC. 
btceic

Activity: 392

♫ A wave came crashing like a fist to the jaw ♫

View Profile WWW
July 06, 2013, 08:52:18 PM

http://business.ftc.gov/documents/bus02-business-guide-mail-and-telephone-order-merchandise-rule

When You Must Cancel an Order

You must cancel an order and provide a prompt refund when:

the customer exercises any option to cancel before you ship the merchandise;
   the customer does not respond to your first notice of a definite revised shipment date of 30 days or less and you have not shipped the merchandise or received the customer’s consent to a further delay by the definite revised shipment date;
    the customer does not respond to your notice of a definite revised shipment date of more than 30 days (or your notice that you are unable to provide a definite revised shipment date) and you have not shipped the merchandise within 30 days of the original shipment date;
    the customer consents to a definite delay and you have not shipped or obtained the customer’s consent to any additional delay by the shipment time the customer consented to;
    you have not shipped or provided the required delay or renewed option notices on time; or
    you determine that you will never be able to ship the merchandise.

Edit: sorry I didn't see that flying hellfish above this post, posted the same thing.

♫ This situation, which side are you on? Are you getting out? Are you dropping bombs? Have you heard of diplomatic resolve? ♫ How To Run A Cheap Full Bitcoin Node For $19 A Year ♫ If I knew where it was, I would take you there. There’s much more than this. ♫ Track Your Bitcoins Value
crumbs

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 08:56:34 PM

Getting a customer to agree to something that is against federal regulations will not relieve BFL of complying with those regulations LDO.
[...]Typically All Sales are Final refers to once a customer receives the product that they are then not able to return the product for a refund (after the sale has taken place).

I haven't read the BFL contract, but i'm sure they've circumvented this (30-day rule) by explicitly stating that shipping within 30 days is not guaranteed. 
satcircle

Activity: 476

SatoshiDice, SatoshiCircle & SatoshiSlot Support

View Profile WWW
July 06, 2013, 09:14:50 PM

and the sage continues.....

btceic

Activity: 392

♫ A wave came crashing like a fist to the jaw ♫

View Profile WWW
July 06, 2013, 09:19:26 PM

and the sage saga continues.....

ftfy

♫ This situation, which side are you on? Are you getting out? Are you dropping bombs? Have you heard of diplomatic resolve? ♫ How To Run A Cheap Full Bitcoin Node For $19 A Year ♫ If I knew where it was, I would take you there. There’s much more than this. ♫ Track Your Bitcoins Value
Flying Hellfish
Legendary

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 10:26:25 PM

[...]Typically All Sales are Final refers to once a customer receives the product that they are then not able to return the product for a refund (after the sale has taken place).

I haven't read the BFL contract, but i'm sure they've circumvented this (30-day rule) by explicitly stating that shipping within 30 days is not guaranteed. 

Read the entire rule, if a company sells a product that is not in stock they must provide a DEFINITIVE shipping date (if no is provided it defaults to 30 days), last I saw there site said 2 months or more.  This is very unlikely to be considered definitive.  It is not relevant what they say in the contract if they do not comply with regulations.  Simply making a customer agree to something that is against regulations will not relieve BFL of complying with those regulations.

I pointed out both of those in my initial post and I don't see where you have made an argument that those two points don't apply.
canth
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 10:29:35 PM

Read the entire rule, if a company sells a product that is not in stock they must provide a DEFINITIVE shipping date (if no is provided it defaults to 30 days), last I saw there site said 2 months or more.  This is very unlikely to be considered definitive.  It is not relevant what they say in the contract if they do not comply with regulations.  Simply making a customer agree to something that is against regulations will not relieve BFL of complying with those regulations.

I pointed out both of those in my initial post and I don't see where you have made an argument that those two points don't apply.

+1. Consumer protection laws cannot just be 'waived' because the company puts some ridiculous policy in place.

kopipe

Activity: 246
Merit: 124

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 11:02:40 PM

When a company offers a product for sale that is not in stock they must provide a definitive shipping date, I doubt many people think 2 months OR more is definitive.

When the first delivery date is missed a new revised definitive delivery date must be given along with a reason for the delay.  They must also obtain the customers approval for the first delay and EACH delay after (which they must also supply a definitive date and reason for).  If they do not provide this info or obtain the customers consent they actually must refund the customer.

The company must also cancel an order and issue a refund if the customer exercises any option to cancel the order BEFORE the product ships.

In order for a sale to take place a person must pay for and receive a product (or service), until the customer receives his product (or it ships) a sale has not taken place and hence why it is called an order and not a sale yet, hence all sales are final in this situation is not applicable.   Typically All Sales are Final refers to once a customer receives the product that they are then not able to return the product for a refund (after the sale has taken place).

Very interesting. I have never done business with them but anyone who has purchased from this scammer should file a complaint with the FTC.

コピペ copypaste
crumbs

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 11:15:03 PM

Read the entire rule, if a company sells a product that is not in stock they must provide a DEFINITIVE shipping date (if no is provided it defaults to 30 days), last I saw there site said 2 months or more.  This is very unlikely to be considered definitive.  It is not relevant what they say in the contract if they do not comply with regulations.  Simply making a customer agree to something that is against regulations will not relieve BFL of complying with those regulations.

Sorry, could you quote me a full line from the section you're referring to?  These are the only two instances of the word "stock" in the whole document:
"in-stock items ship immediately," unless you tell consumer when they order that the item is not in stock, you will be required to ship, provide notification of delay, or cancel the order immediately.
Flying Hellfish
Legendary

View Profile
July 07, 2013, 12:21:59 AM

Sorry, could you quote me a full line from the section you're referring to?  These are the only two instances of the word "stock" in the whole document:
"in-stock items ship immediately," unless you tell consumer when they order that the item is not in stock, you will be required to ship, provide notification of delay, or cancel the order immediately.

Read the entire rule, if a company sells a product they must provide a DEFINITIVE shipping date (if no is provided it defaults to 30 days), last I saw there site said 2 months or more.  This is very unlikely to be considered definitive.  It is not relevant what they say in the contract if they do not comply with regulations.  Simply making a customer agree to something that is against regulations will not relieve BFL of complying with those regulations.

I removed the word stock and it does not change the statement at all basically.

Your throwing out or chasing a red herring.  Let me quote two relevant sections of the FTC mail order rule.

Here the FTC states IMO quite clearly that a consumer has the right to cancel and order by exercising ANY option BEFORE the product ships and the company MUST provide a prompt refund. 

When You Must Cancel an Order

You must cancel an order and provide a prompt refund when:
•the customer exercises any option to cancel before you ship the merchandise;

This is a pretty blanket statement by the FTC and I don't see how BFL can refuse a customer a refund for any reason.

Next let's assume for the moment BFL sent out information and received every customers consent for an infinite delay.  According to the FTC one of the pieces of information that is required to be sent from BFL to the client is the following:

What Later Notices Must Say

If you cannot ship the merchandise by the definite revised shipment date included in your most recent delay option notice, before that date you must seek the consent of your customers to any further delay. You must do this by providing customers a "renewed" delay option notice. A renewed delay option notice is similar in many ways to the first delay option notice. One important difference: the customer’s silence may not be treated as a consent to delay.

A renewed delay option notice must include:
•a new definite revised shipment date or, if unknown, a statement that you are unable to provide any date;
•a statement that, if the customer chooses not to wait, the customer can cancel the order immediately and obtain a full and prompt refund;
•a statement that, unless you receive notice that the customer agrees to wait beyond the most recent definite revised shipment date and you have not shipped by then, the customer’s order automatically will be cancelled and a prompt refund will be provided; and
•some means for the customer to inform you at your expense (e.g., by providing a postage prepaid reply card or toll-free telephone number) whether the customer agrees to the delay or is canceling the order.
•the following information when you cannot provide a new definite revised shipping date:
•the reason for the delay, and
•a statement that, if the customer agrees to the indefinite delay, the customer may cancel the order any time until you ship.

rovchris

Activity: 238

View Profile
July 07, 2013, 12:44:38 AM

I am just going to remove all my card details from paypal and then initiate a charge back through HSBC.

I have no issue with doing battle with Paypal - the fault lies with Paypal for not evaluating the business that they approved to accept Paypal payments - maybe their risk assessment team should have considered that they did not actually have a working product to sell before giving them a Paypal business account.

All that did was give BFL an air of authenticity and probably increased the number of orders that were made. So in essence Paypal have actually made the problem worse. I would not have placed an order if I could not pay by paypal or credit card and I am sure there are numerous other people who felt the same.

Paypal can block my account all they want.  But I have a funny feeling over the next couple of weeks the number of people looking for a refund is going to grow exponentially and Paypal will have significant sums charged back - this will then force them to confront BFL.

If BFL can still not give a delivery date at this point they will not have a leg to stand on and that is if they do not disappear overnight first.

Lets look at the facts - why would they not refund if their accounts are in a healthy state and they have a huge backlog of orders that they are "struggling" to fill. It would be in their interest to clear the backlog as quickly as possible. People cancelling orders would help them do this and enable them to ship products quicker to people that actually want them.

I don't think they have the money to refund the orders.

BFL should probably add to the terms and conditions "All sales are final unless you initiate a charge back through your credit card provider and then you will get your money back"

████→→       ● DeepOnion                                                                       ✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯ 
████→→       ● Tor integrated, 100% anonymous!                                       Get Your FREE Coins NOW!     
████→→       ● Free Airdrop! (No ICO, No Crowdfund)                       ✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯
tstang

Activity: 178

View Profile
July 07, 2013, 12:49:37 AM

I have filed for a refund and paid for it via Paypal and within 45 days. Hopefully , Paypal do their job as promise.
crumbs

View Profile
July 07, 2013, 12:50:45 AM

[...]Read the entire rule, if a company sells a product they must provide a DEFINITIVE shipping date (if no is provided it defaults to 30 days), last I saw there site said 2 months or more.  This is very unlikely to be considered definitive.  It is not relevant what they say in the contract if they do not comply with regulations.  Simply making a customer agree to something that is against regulations will not relieve BFL of complying with those regulations.

Jeesh, brutal here!  I said i didn't read the BFL contract, and just asked you to point me to a spot in the document, so i wouldn't have to read the whole thing.  I am not BFL, I have no incentive for defending them, just dumb idle curiosity.  That said:
I started reading the page you linked to, and here's what i found:
If you make no shipment statement, you must have a reasonable basis for believing that you can ship within 30 days. That is why direct marketers sometimes call this the "30-day Rule."
Boldface is mine.  There's a reason.  The reason is this: i suspect BFL was smart enough to *explicitly* state in their contract that they can not guarantee a timely delivery, thus saving me the headache of having to riddle out the details of the 30-day rule, which doesn't seem to apply here.  In other words, they probably *did* make a shipment statement, making the stuff that follows the emboldened text inapplicable.  Or not.  If someone wins a hefty settlement, i hope they remember me kindly.
Edit:  Really didn't mean to stir up shit here, i realize this is a sore topic for folks here.  Sorry.  Hindsight.
rovchris

View Profile
July 07, 2013, 01:07:03 AM
Last edit: July 07, 2013, 01:25:29 AM by rovchris

BFL have destroyed themselves.

Josh is acting like a child in their forum -

Who on earth is going to trust this company - denying reasonable requests for a refund when they REFUSE to give a delivery date.

Josh is now stating they have shipped more ASICS than any other vendor apart from Block Erupter and then refuses to say how many units they have shipped. He then has the cheek to post this in response to a question

So I'm curious how you know how many orders we ship per day?

and as someone quite rightly says
How about you just tell us?

and then silence again.

https://forums.butterflylabs.com/bfl-forum-miscellaneous/3703-josh-its-time-update-bfl-asic-status-3.html

As much as I think AVALON are tools they have without a doubt shipped more units and GHs than BFL.

I am going to say that it is just a ponzi scheme - how it can still say on their website orders may take 2 months or more for the past 5 months is the sign of a scam artist. All they have done is ship a handful of units so it actually looks like they are doing something.

████→→       ● DeepOnion                                                                       ✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯ 
████→→       ● Tor integrated, 100% anonymous!                                       Get Your FREE Coins NOW!     
████→→       ● Free Airdrop! (No ICO, No Crowdfund)                       ✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯
Flying Hellfish
Legendary

View Profile
July 07, 2013, 01:17:06 AM

[...]Read the entire rule, if a company sells a product they must provide a DEFINITIVE shipping date (if no is provided it defaults to 30 days), last I saw there site said 2 months or more.  This is very unlikely to be considered definitive.  It is not relevant what they say in the contract if they do not comply with regulations.  Simply making a customer agree to something that is against regulations will not relieve BFL of complying with those regulations.

Jeesh, brutal here!  I said i didn't read the BFL contract, and just asked you to point me to a spot in the document, so i wouldn't have to read the whole thing.  I am not BFL, I have no incentive for defending them, just dumb idle curiosity.  That said:
If you make no shipment statement, you must have a reasonable basis for believing that you can ship within 30 days. That is why direct marketers sometimes call this the "30-day Rule."
Boldface is mine.  There's a reason.  The reason is this: i suspect BFL was smart enough to *explicitly* state in their contract that they can not guarantee a timely delivery, thus saving me the headache of having to riddle out the details of the 30-day rule, which doesn't seem to apply here.  In other words, they probably *did* make a shipment statement, making the stuff that follows the emboldened text inapplicable.  Or not.  If someone wins a hefty settlement, i hope they remember me kindly.
Edit:  Really didn't mean to stir up shit here, i realize this is a sore topic for folks here.  Sorry.  Hindsight.

I agree that the terms on their website indicate they are asking people to agree to an indefinite delay (or shipping estimate if you prefer).  That is what you are saying isn't it?

In my opinion "2 months or more" is about as indefinite as you can get and that is what BFL made their customers agree to.

If I have read your statement correctly, then BFL must (according to the FTC) provide the following information to the customer AND get his consent.

•a statement that, if the customer agrees to the indefinite delay, the customer may cancel the order any time until you ship.

rovchris

View Profile
July 07, 2013, 01:24:40 AM

I agree that the terms on their website indicate they are asking people to agree to an indefinite delay (or shipping estimate if you prefer).  That is what you are saying isn't it?

In my opinion "2 months or more" is about as indefinite as you can get and that is what BFL made their customers agree to.

If I have read your statement correctly, then BFL must (according to the FTC) provide the following information to the customer AND get his consent.

I just sent an email to Paypal - pointing out what you stated - I will let you know what they say.

Inedible

Activity: 700

What doesn't kill you only makes you sicker!

View Profile
July 07, 2013, 03:14:38 AM

Very nice work Flying Hellfish!

If this post was useful, interesting or entertaining, then you've misunderstood.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: