The Bitcoin Blockchain Size

Pages: << < (2/3) > >>

cheesylard:

Is it possible for it to be compressed at all?

CaptChadd:

Quote from: cheesylard on June 27, 2013, 04:22:43 PM
--
Is it possible for it to be compressed at all?

--

I don't know about compression but at the moment the only thing I can do is store it on a bigger HD and map it across.

kik1977:

Talking about blockchain size...

http://thegenesisblock.com/off-chain-micropayments-implemented-in-bitcoinj/

legitnick:

Quote from: CaptChadd on June 27, 2013, 01:16:20 PM
--
I know that probably has been mentioned before but I just checked the size of the Bitcoin folder in appdata and it is now 17GB. Right now I have it stored on another drive and then mapped across, due to my OS drive being a small SSD.

Is there going to be any way for the dev's to be able to decrease this at all?

Imagine 10 years down the line and a 100 GB or higher Bitcoin appdata folder, that is always a lot of space even on a TB HD.

--

As computers technology progresses the file size really wont be a problem in 10 years.

the founder:

Quote from: legitnick on June 28, 2013, 05:04:17 AM
--
Quote from: CaptChadd on June 27, 2013, 01:16:20 PM
--
I know that probably has been mentioned before but I just checked the size of the Bitcoin folder in appdata and it is now 17GB. Right now I have it stored on another drive and then mapped across, due to my OS drive being a small SSD.

Is there going to be any way for the dev's to be able to decrease this at all?

Imagine 10 years down the line and a 100 GB or higher Bitcoin appdata folder, that is always a lot of space even on a TB HD.

--

As computers technology progresses the file size really wont be a problem in 10 years.

--

Moore's Law : Moore's law is the observation that, over the history of computing hardware, the number of transistors on integrated circuits doubles approximately every two years.

Bitcoins's Law: Bitcoins's law is the observation that, over the history of blockchain size, the overall size of the blockchain doubles approximately every 6 months.

In other words the blockchain is growing 4 times faster than Moore's Law.   In 10 years we are going to be seeing an epic disaster if both hold true.   And I am being EXTREMELY conservative on the growth rate,  recently it's been every 3.4 months.

Pages: << < (2/3) > >>