Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 09:19:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin silver 1oz custom coin... gauging demand  (Read 9510 times)
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2011, 07:09:18 PM

I would be willing to pay the value of what its weight in silver is.

Precious metal coins are generally only ever worth their weight. (I used to trade in 1oz gold coins).

This is the reason why these coins don't exist.  I guess people want someone to pay the markup on silver, fees to have the dyes cast, and the labor costs in order to sell them a coin at the raw value of materials?  That's like going to a restaurant and telling them you'll only pay $0.25 for the deer special because that's how much the shell cost that killed it.
That is a kind of exaggerated comparison, moot point but:

Whenever demand is high premiums for physical silver often jumps upto 100%, coin dealers are greedy bastards. I used to buy at one every month, a random 1oz round, I always was trying picking out philharmonics, then they were suddenly gone and he sold philharmonics & maples extra, for a higher price.
(Those were all circulated coins)
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2011, 12:24:08 AM

Some requests have been made for Casascius Physical Bitcoins in silver.

To me it is completely crazy.  But so is the markup people are apparently willing to pay.

This would be for very high denomination pieces, like 100 or 500 BTC.  So they would be paying a price that includes both the bitcoins, the silver, and the markup.

How many rounds does it take to make a run worthwhile?  I can add the BTC value, the only minor oddity being that my holograms are gold, not silver.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
likuidxd

Activity: 476
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 08, 2011, 03:07:42 AM

Some requests have been made for Casascius Physical Bitcoins in silver.

To me it is completely crazy.  But so is the markup people are apparently willing to pay.

This would be for very high denomination pieces, like 100 or 500 BTC.  So they would be paying a price that includes both the bitcoins, the silver, and the markup.

How many rounds does it take to make a run worthwhile?  I can add the BTC value, the only minor oddity being that my holograms are gold, not silver.

I don't think it's worth it for what you do. You are niche and an awesome market. Because of the fluctuation of the market, no, I don't think it would be viable, but what do I know. You put an actual value on the coin itself, but the metal could be worth greatly more of greatly less. I suppose it is the same as the US mint stamping $50 gold pieces right now but that is a collectors fair. I would rather see a 1oz silver bitcoin without a value attached to it as a collector/novelty/asset item than one that has a value associated with it that I'll pay a premium for on top of the silver.

ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2011, 03:41:36 AM

I think that depends on the price of a bitcoin, if it ever reaches the values the bulls are hoping for you might use silver, or even gold Wink
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2011, 04:25:52 AM

Just by some Googling, if I did a run of 500 1oz silver rounds, the cost above silver's spot price to acquire the coins would probably be in the $10/coin range, including artwork, die charges, etc.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
likuidxd

Activity: 476

View Profile
November 08, 2011, 05:13:35 AM

Like I've said before, I'd pay pay 15 BTC for a pretty 1oz bitcoin exclusive round without hesitation.

I'm curious as to why more people are not interested in this. This right here is you beginning stages of security of wealth people. Speculation of bitcoin combined against/with the speculation of a precious metal. One is quiet a bit more proven than the other and bets against it to hold you're value. If you ever need liquidity you have 1 oz of silver, if you want to speculate bitcoin you have a secured physical value on a coin.

BitcoinMint.US

Activity: 284
Merit: 251

View Profile
November 09, 2011, 11:11:53 PM

Like I've said before, I'd pay pay 15 BTC for a pretty 1oz bitcoin exclusive round without hesitation.

I'm curious as to why more people are not interested in this. This right here is you beginning stages of security of wealth people. Speculation of bitcoin combined against/with the speculation of a precious metal. One is quiet a bit more proven than the other and bets against it to hold you're value. If you ever need liquidity you have 1 oz of silver, if you want to speculate bitcoin you have a secured physical value on a coin.

I'm going to make a 2nd effort to try and make this happen.  I agree with your line of thinking, but as the other poster said, it'd be a $10 premium over spot plus shipping...  That's with almost no profit.  I get messages from people constantly asking me to sell coins for spot price.  People just don't get it.  That's why I haven't put up the $ to make this happen.  I'm considering preorders though.  If I were to get 100+ preorders, I'm in a position where I'd feel comfortable placing the order.
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2011, 11:37:44 PM

As you might have noticed on another thread, I have pulled the trigger and forked up the money to make this happen.

My silver round will be a 10 BTC piece that is an actual 10 BTC physical bitcoin and will be here plenty in time for Christmas.  The coin is worth an ounce of silver PLUS ten BTC embedded inside.

BitcoinMint.US

Activity: 284
Merit: 251

View Profile
November 09, 2011, 11:52:33 PM

As you might have noticed on another thread, I have pulled the trigger and forked up the money to make this happen.

My silver round will be a 10 BTC piece that is an actual 10 BTC physical bitcoin and will be here plenty in time for Christmas.  The coin is worth an ounce of silver PLUS ten BTC embedded inside.

Nice.  Although I'm thinking of something a little more traditional and mine definitely won't be ready in time for Christmas.  Good luck to you.  Your coins look great.
btc_artist

Activity: 154
Merit: 101

Bitcoin!

View Profile WWW
November 10, 2011, 08:21:05 PM

Sounds awesome!  Have you thought of a price range for this yet?  I imagine 10 BTC + ~$40 USD of silver + minting cost + profit = ?

BTC: 1CDCLDBHbAzHyYUkk1wYHPYmrtDZNhk8zf
LTC: LMS7SqZJnqzxo76iDSEua33WCyYZdjaQoE
BookLover

Activity: 533

^Bitcoin Library of Congress.

View Profile
January 27, 2012, 10:51:20 PM

(marking) Cool

casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2012, 10:57:38 PM

I did not expect to see this thread topped and had all but forgotten it existed.

Nevertheless the silver coin is available in my site in two versions, one with and without gold plating on the B of the bitcoin logo.

Binford 6100

Activity: 504

PGP OTC WOT: EB7FCE3D

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 05:06:32 PM

ok, any update on payment options?
i think since january you dropped papyal completely, even for pm rounds

You can't build a reputation on what you are going to do.
allthingsluxury
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
September 30, 2012, 08:04:21 AM

I'd love to add one to my silver collection.

Monkey1

Activity: 868

View Profile
September 30, 2012, 07:35:06 PM

Is this still happening?  I am interested.

▄▄█████▄▄
         ▄▄███████████▄▄
      ▄▄█████████████████▄▄
   ▄▄███████████████████████▄▄
 ▄█████████████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████████████
████████▀▀  ▀██▀       ▀▀████████
███████  ▄████  ███████▄  ███████
███████ █████  ██████████ ███████
███████ ██████████  █████ ███████
███████  ▀███████  ███▀   ███████
████████▄▄        ██   ▄▄████████
 ▀█████████████████████████████▀
   ▀▀███████████████████████▀▀
      ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
         ▀▀███████████▀▀
            ▀▀█████▀▀

.THRIVING CRYPTOCURRENCY..
.MARKET WITH CRYPTOBONDS..

▄▄▄▄  ▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄  ▄▄▄▄
████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

INITIAL COIN OFFERING
SEPTEMBER 30

██
    ██
    ██
    ██
    ██
    ██
    ██
    ██
    ██
    ██
    ██
██████
         ▄▄████████▄▄
     ▄████████████████▄
   ▄███▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▀███████▄
  █████ ███████ █▄▀███████
 ██████ ███████ ███▄▀██████
▐██████ ███████▄▄▄▄▄▄ █████▌
▐██████ █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█ █████▌
▐██████ █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█ █████▌
 ██████ █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█ █████
  █████ █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█ ████
   ▀███▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄██▀
     ▀████████████████▀
        ▀▀████████▀▀

...READ THE....
.WHITEPAPER.

▄▄████████▄▄
     ▄████████████████▄
   ▄████████████████████▄
  ███████████████▀▀  █████
 ████████████▀▀      ██████
▐████████▀▀   ▄▄     ██████▌
▐████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ███████▌
▐████████ █▀        ███████▌
 ████████ █ ▄███▄   ███████
  ████████████████▄▄██████
   ▀████████████████████▀
     ▀████████████████▀
        ▀▀████████▀▀
TWITTER
FACEBOOK
MEDIUM
REDDIT
GITHUB
SLACK
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2012, 03:10:49 AM

Sure, I presently sell the silver rounds at https://casascius.com.

Evolvex

Activity: 179
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 02, 2012, 12:05:05 AM

I'll keep my eyes on this, I like the coins, I just cant have any just yet Smiley
BobbyJo

Activity: 358
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
October 03, 2012, 07:51:07 PM

Are these all silver, or do you do gold bars and coins?

casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2012, 03:41:55 AM

Are these all silver, or do you do gold bars and coins?

I also have gold coins (.999 fine), and gold-plated bars (no significant gold weight).

The coins are denominated as 1000 BTC, but just the gold round is available by itself (no sticker).

The gold-plated bars are either non-denominated (you load value yourself) or have a 100 denomination.  I occasionally do other denominations with a laser engraver.

Aahzman

Activity: 602

Your *what* is itchy?

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 02:44:47 PM

Id take one

"in coin we trust"

is better :]

"In The Blockchain We Trust"

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print