Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 09:38:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: question about prepaid cards  (Read 1170 times)
tonto (OP)

Activity: 609
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 29, 2011, 03:49:55 PM

Are there any prepaid cards that you don't need to give name/SSN/etc for?  Like if I walk into Walmart and buy one of their cards, how does that work?  I'd like to get one to use to buy crap online and then refill (through places like bitcoinexchange.cc) with GreenDot, etc.

Ideally this could be used at an ATM machine as well

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
error

Activity: 588

View Profile
June 29, 2011, 05:09:56 PM

Are there any prepaid cards that you don't need to give name/SSN/etc for?  Like if I walk into Walmart and buy one of their cards, how does that work?  I'd like to get one to use to buy crap online and then refill (through places like bitcoinexchange.cc) with GreenDot, etc.

Ideally this could be used at an ATM machine as well

In the US, reloadable cards require giving a whole bunch of personal information and requires the card issuer to somehow verify its accuracy. This was one of the many things in the Un-PATRIOT-ic Act passed right after 9/11.

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
tsvekric

Activity: 257
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 29, 2011, 05:46:18 PM

I bought a MoneyPak and all I did was hand cash and get the card at a 7/11

Hey TeKillaSunRise, check it out

-qwe2323
tonto (OP)

View Profile
June 29, 2011, 05:49:35 PM

Interesting, and you didn't have to verify SSN later like on the phone or anything?   Can you use it like a CC (say if I want to buy something from newegg) or in an ATM?

Archie

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 29, 2011, 07:42:00 PM

I got a payoneer.com debit card (from freelancer.com). You can use it exactly like a normal card, for purchases onlne and offline and also the withdraw money from an ATM. No SSN to verify.
tsvekric

Activity: 257

View Profile
June 29, 2011, 07:49:54 PM

Interesting, and you didn't have to verify SSN later like on the phone or anything?   Can you use it like a CC (say if I want to buy something from newegg) or in an ATM?

I'm not sure, since I just sold it on here...
I know it can be used to add money to paypal, I don't think it works like a CC

Hey TeKillaSunRise, check it out

-qwe2323
semyazza

Activity: 339

View Profile
June 30, 2011, 12:18:15 AM

I'm not sure, since I just sold it on here...
I know it can be used to add money to paypal, I don't think it works like a CC

All re-loadable cards in the United States need to be registered due to the U.S. Patriot Act.  The Greendot MoneyPak is considered a stored value card and is not re-loadable.  It may be used to reload a prepaid card which is required to have the identifying information.  We sell non re-loadable cards at http://www.bitcoincashout.com and were going to offer re-loadable but, interest in giving personal information to be in compliance with U.S. law decreased demand significantly.  Also, the re-loadable cards you purchase at Walmart may be used unregistered but, as soon as you try to re-load them, you will be required to provide your information.  We are also unaware of any re-loadable card in the U.S. that does not require a SSN and that does not report to the U.S. government.
tonto (OP)

View Profile
June 30, 2011, 01:37:10 PM

I keep writing my Congressmen to kill that stupid law, but they all write back in their red-neck talk spouting this and that about "terrorists".  Don't they know that a war against "terrorism" is like creating a war against the echelon formation, or guerrilla warfare?

Sometimes I really hate living in the red states (except for Husker red, of course Wink  )
tonto (OP)

View Profile
June 30, 2011, 01:39:31 PM

All re-loadable cards in the United States need to be registered due to the U.S. Patriot Act.  The Greendot MoneyPak is considered a stored value card and is not re-loadable.  It may be used to reload a prepaid card which is required to have the identifying information.  We sell non re-loadable cards at http://www.bitcoincashout.com and were going to offer re-loadable but, interest in giving personal information to be in compliance with U.S. law decreased demand significantly.  Also, the re-loadable cards you purchase at Walmart may be used unregistered but, as soon as you try to re-load them, you will be required to provide your information.  We are also unaware of any re-loadable card in the U.S. that does not require a SSN and that does not report to the U.S. government.

can I use your physical cards in an ATM machine?    I think I had this conversation with you via email, but I can't find it now, and don't remember what you said.  Otherwise I might just be destined to just buying computer parts from newegg with your cards Smiley

But having the option for cash withdrawal is a huge bonus for me Smiley
semyazza

Activity: 339

View Profile
June 30, 2011, 02:56:00 PM

can I use your physical cards in an ATM machine?    I think I had this conversation with you via email, but I can't find it now, and don't remember what you said.  Otherwise I might just be destined to just buying computer parts from newegg with your cards Smiley

But having the option for cash withdrawal is a huge bonus for me Smiley

Unfortunately not, as that would also require registration and remove its classification as a stored value card(this is what the industry has determined by their offerings).  What some of our user have had success in doing is adding the card to their Paypal account and withdrawing the funds to their account.  This method makes $1 unavailable on the card due to Paypal authorizing the card(Yes, our cards do pass all AVS checks).

We are still investigating ATM capable cards but, they are very pricey and have other issues. We will be offering in the near future, silver coins,checks, and money orders.  Checks, and money orders will be mailed to any address/recipient you ask us and could be used to pay for items that accept snail mail methods of payment.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: