Bitcoin Forum
January 22, 2018, 04:37:06 AM *
News: Electrum users must upgrade to 3.0.5 if they haven't already. More info.

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Where's the cheapest electricity in the Western US for Bit Coin Mining?  (Read 1236 times)
NvPahrump

Activity: 12

View Profile
November 23, 2017, 06:35:48 PM

I'm a retiree thinking of buying Antminers to start mining. I can setup a farm anywhere in the Western US. Where is the best electricity rates overall considering 24 hour usage? Would it be better to DIY a 100Kw solar farm? If so then I would guess the South West has the most sunlight.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ajqjjj

Activity: 492

View Profile
November 23, 2017, 06:59:30 PM

I'm a retiree thinking of buying Antminers to start mining. I can setup a farm anywhere in the Western US. Where is the best electricity rates overall considering 24 hour usage? Would it be better to DIY a 100Kw solar farm? If so then I would guess the South West has the most sunlight.

I think Sweden and Korean countries are best place to start mining the decent elctricity price. When you want to mine in the commercial location normally you will find the high cost but the residential places where we are using to mine the bitcoin or altcoins. We may get the electricity cheaper than any commercial place. I feel better you can start mining in your home itself to get better profit than in office set up.

▄  ▀████▀▀▀▀ ▄▄▄
     ███      ▄▄███████
   ▄██▀       ▀▀███████▌ ▄
  ██▀  ▄█  ███▄   ▀▀████ ▀▄
▄█▀ ▄▄███  ██████▄    ▀█▌ ▐▌
 ▄▄██████  █████████▄▄     ▀█
▐████████  ████████████
▀▀█████  ████████▀▀  ▄▄  ██
 ▀▄▄ ▀▀██  ████▀▀  ▄▄███▀ █▀
  ▀██▄      ▀   ▄▄██████ █▀
   ▀███▄      █████████ ▄▀
    ▀██▀  ▄▄▄▄  ▀▀████▀ ▀
         ███████▄▄▄ ▀▀

███
                                                                                  ▀▀▀
    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄           ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
 ▄██████████████     ▄██████████████▄     ▄███████████████  ▄███████████████▄     ███     ▄███████████████▄
▄██▀                ▄██▀          ▀██▄   ▄██▀              ▄██▀           ▀██▄    ███    ▄██▀           ▀██▄
███                 ███           ▄███   ███               ███             ███    ███    ███             ███
████████████████    ███  ████████████    ███               ███             ███    ███    ███             ███
███                 ███           ▀███   ███               ███             ███    ███    ███             ███
▀██▄                ███           ▄██▀   ▀██▄              ▀██▄           ▄██▀    ███    ███             ███
 ▀██████████████    ███  ███████████▀     ▀███████████████  ▀███████████████▀     ███    ███             ███
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀    ▀▀▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀           ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀     ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀             ▀▀▀

.The Best Gift for Travelers.........
..Your Gateway to a $60 Billion Dollar Global Market.....
[]
NvPahrump

View Profile
November 23, 2017, 07:39:00 PM

In the US we have rates for industrial, commercial, and residential electricity usage, and the rates change depending on the time of day, and day itself. I'm leaning towards leasing a commercial warehouse or buying a small plot of land zoned for commercial use.

I've looked at grid power on http://electricitylocal.com initially and it appears the states of Washington and Oregon are cheaper than California but have more rain/clouds which affect Solar. I'll look some more for the other states right now.

frappee

Activity: 1

View Profile
November 23, 2017, 09:02:44 PM

It would probably be where most data centers are. Washington/Oregon/Nevada/Carolina's
NvPahrump

View Profile
November 24, 2017, 04:59:20 AM

I see solar panels are selling for 70 cents per Kw/h on eBay
Tryoene

Activity: 42

View Profile
November 24, 2017, 06:10:31 AM

I think Sweden and Korean countries are best place to start mining the decent elctricity price. When you want to mine in the commercial location normally you will find the high cost but the residential places where we are using to mine the bitcoin or altcoins. We may get the electricity cheaper than any commercial place. I feel better you can start mining in your home itself to get better profit than in office set up.

Not to sure about others but our rate in Sweden is roughly 0.09USD/Kw which isn't too much cheaper than some rates I have personally seen in the US.

Really depends on the deal and rate you can secure from the energy retailer/capacity.
NvPahrump

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 06:48:30 AM

Electricity is around 3 cents per Kwh around the Columbia River in Central Washington state.
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 952

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 10:37:16 PM

Douglas and Chelan counties in Washington have the lowest cost electric in the US for "residential" and "small business" usage, at very close to 3 cents/kwh ALL COSTS INCLUDED.
Which one of those 2 is "the" lowest varies from year to year, they're very very close though.
Grant Country in Washington is third, at 4.6 cents/kwh for the same levels of service.

ALL THREE can get you under 3 cents/kwh if you need "large business" or "industrial" scale power.

None of them bother with "time of day" rates, though I think they all have some sort of provision for "senior citizen" discounting on their residential charges.

The PUD for all 3 counties own 1 (Douglas) or 2 (Chelan and Grant) major power dams per PUD along the Columbia river, which runs through part of Chelan country and adjacent to Douglas and Grant counties.

For reference, the Grand Coulee dam (which is NOT involved in these rates) is on the Columbia river on the border between Grant County and Okanagon County.

Climate in the area is classified as "semi-arid" - if it wasn't for irrigation out of the Columbia (the PRIMARY original intent for the Grand Coulee dam) this area would be a desert, VERY dry and very well suited for evap cooling.

Most of the largest known cryptocoin mining and hosting operations in the USA are located in the area, specifically including Gigawatt (which used to be MegaBigPower).

Power Block

Activity: 2

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2017, 10:45:31 PM

5 cents per kWh or less, go to www.powerblockcoin.com  and reserve capacity.  I am the CEO, contact us on our website paste this text in the response form and I will get in touch with you directly.

Best Regards

Aaron Tilton

kingcolex
Legendary

Activity: 1358

View Profile
December 01, 2017, 03:20:34 PM

Parts of Orlando Florida are 3-4 cents a kwh. Really surprised me, it is through OUC.

QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
December 01, 2017, 11:20:34 PM

Parts of Orlando Florida are 3-4 cents a kwh. Really surprised me, it is through OUC.

You're not including the "fuel charges" - which are HIGHER per KWH than the base rate is.

Still seems like you can get under 6 a bit with their "time of day" rate which is pretty cheap.

GbrilliantQ

Activity: 163

ƃqɹᴉllᴉɐuʇb

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 01:03:32 AM

I avg .03kWH in rural central IL. 

QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 04:08:29 AM

You're definitely not in Alliant Energy territory - or you are quoting just the BASE rate, not the final "take the amount on the bill and divide by the KWH used" all up rate.

Alliant has a "3 tier" base rate that gets under 3c/KWH for the BASE rate above a certain usage level most of the year round - but once you add in the "energy transmission fee" and the "fuel surcharge" and all their other charges, the actual FINAL rate is close to 8 even if you have Time of Day rate to help reduce the final total AND high usage so most of your consumption is in that "cheap base rate" - and that's in the non-summer months, their SUMMER costs hit closer to 15 because the BASE rate kicks up across the board and there IS no "tiered" lower rates for the mid-June to mid-September timeframe.

NvPahrump

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 07:19:06 PM

Douglas and Chelan counties in Washington have the lowest cost electric in the US for "residential" and "small business" usage, at very close to 3 cents/kwh ALL COSTS INCLUDED.

Did some surfing on Wenatchee

Drive SEA-Wenatchee 153 miles
Bus SEA-EAT Pangborn Airport 3-5 times/day  $45 one-way $85 round-trip
Fly SEA-EAT Pangborn Airport 3 flights/day on Alaska AIrlines
WA St B&O Tax rate for mfg of 0.00484 or $484 per $100K gross receipts
WA St NO personal income tax, NO corporate income tax
Sales Tax: Seattle 9.6% East Wenatchee 8.2% Wenatchee 8.4%
Rainfall: Wenatchee 9 inches/year, Seattle 37 inches/year
beltsniffer

Activity: 291

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 10:32:13 PM

Did some surfing on Wenatchee

Drive SEA-Wenatchee 153 miles
Bus SEA-EAT Pangborn Airport 3-5 times/day  $45 one-way $85 round-trip
Fly SEA-EAT Pangborn Airport 3 flights/day on Alaska AIrlines
WA St B&O Tax rate for mfg of 0.00484 or $484 per $100K gross receipts
WA St NO personal income tax, NO corporate income tax
Sales Tax: Seattle 9.6% East Wenatchee 8.2% Wenatchee 8.4%
Rainfall: Wenatchee 9 inches/year, Seattle 37 inches/year

Just remember if you drive SEA-Wenatchee you have to brave the mountain passes. Snoqualimie, Stevens, or White get lots of snow during the winter months.
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
December 05, 2017, 11:24:16 AM

Take I-90 around, then 281 North to Quincy and 28 West from there avoids snow issues as a general rule.

Washington State is good about keeping I-90 clear as a general rule - it takes a major blizzard that you don't want to be driving in ANYWAY to shut 90 down for long.

jwpoke

Activity: 84

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2017, 05:09:30 AM

Chelan County PUD has "high density load" rate. Douglas County PUD has demand charge for over 50 KW demand.

If you want to operate more than 20 or 30 miners (S9), you probably will get better rates elsewhere. 

expertofexperts

Activity: 134

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 06:30:35 AM

Try to invest in solar energy. And try buying plates that are Chinese made otherwise your farm cost will rise huge.
NvPahrump

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 08:39:18 AM

Chelan County PUD has "high density load" rate. Douglas County PUD has demand charge for over 50 KW demand.

If you want to operate more than 20 or 30 miners (S9), you probably will get better rates elsewhere.  

Yikes! Chelan PUD's "HDL Upfront Capital Charge" is $190 per Kw...... $19,000 per 100kW

I guess that would be for new installations only if you can't find a place in Chelan County already wired for crpyto mining

https://www.chelanpud.org/docs/default-source/default-document-library/rate-35-hdl-faqsef5aa7af9dd5636da1c4ff0e00ce4554.pdf
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 08:43:37 PM

The "high density load rate" only seem to apply to LARGE mining operations - but it is an issue if you want to consider Chelan for a LARGE farm.
 The capitol charge is a ONE TIME fee, intended to cover the cost of adding infrastructure to support the load. I'm not sure if it applies to existing locations or not.

These issues are probably why Gigawatt is working in Douglas (Panghorn Airport area in East Wenatchee) and Grant (Moses Lake *somewhere*) counties on their current "big mine/hosting" effort - Megawatt (the "older company name for Gigawatt) was one of the folks that testified at the various hearings Chelan PUD had when it was trying to figure out how to handle the massive influx of Cryptocoin mining operations it was having 3ish years back and their effect on the infrastructure and expansion budget for the PUD.

"demand charge" exists for pretty much ANY "large business or industrial" rate ANYWHERE - though the threshold varies a lot.
 It also rarely ends up being a large percentage of the total cost anywhere, as it never seems to exist for "small load" rates.

But yes, it's smart to look at ALL of the details on rates before you try to figure what the bottom line is.

You will NOT get better rates anywhere else in the USA - though that might change if enough *BIG* cryptocoin mining operations and HUGE data centers keep getting added to the area.
 Quincy in particular is well-known for it's HUGE data centers - Microsoft, Yahoo, Dell, among other smaller stuff.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.