Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 06:23:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Vertcoin GPU mining  (Read 501 times)
rafabud (OP)

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 21, 2017, 09:13:54 PM
Last edit: November 21, 2017, 09:31:16 PM by rafabud

Hello, everyone. I just bought a MSI laptop with a GTX 1060 GPU card... I don't have much experience in mining, and i'd like to try and mine a bit, to get to know the process, and maybe earn some vertcoin, which i believe is a nice currency and has a strong community. Any advice on that? Do you think it's not worth GPU mining on a laptop? Thank you very much, cheers Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cambyman

Activity: 8

View Profile
November 21, 2017, 10:41:14 PM

i think for the gpu's laptop technology doesn't same as gpu for desktop, they have reduce the gpu's tech to reduce power consumption and heat problem. but some of altcoins are still mineable and makes profit when their price are going up, so at least you have to choose the right coins to mining, in order not wasting your time and money(for pay the electricity). If you mention vertcoin, there is possibility this coin will stay longer, as we can examine from the market price and their lifetime, its going up, although nowadays fluctuate, but never too far.
Elder III

Activity: 1246
Merit: 274

View Profile
November 21, 2017, 10:48:10 PM

It's typically not a good idea to mine with a laptop. The mobile specific components are not designed to last for long with 24/7 maxed out load that you have when mining. You would run a serious risk of frying it before you make enough to be worth the risk.
wacko
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1014

View Profile
November 21, 2017, 11:49:28 PM

Laptop's version of gtx 1060 should be almost identical to the desktop ones. So if you undervolt the GPU a lot (to 0.8V, for example), and then put your laptop in some cold place for mining (open window in late autumn/winter) then it might work. Although I'd stick to ETH mining since it doesn't need high core frequency (easy to undervolt all the way down) and the power consumption is comparatively low on Dagger. Especially if you have Samsung memory chips (check with gpu-z).
MikeJones!

Activity: 74
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 22, 2017, 12:01:33 AM

If you are looking at VTC, I've found better performance on the 1.8.3 version of ccminer.
rafabud (OP)

View Profile
November 22, 2017, 01:55:27 AM

Thank you all very much for the input. Yes, i had read that actually mining 24/7 on a laptop would probably fry it, but the idea here was to mine only for a part of the day to get to know the process and better understand the cost-efficiency doing it. Mining ETH, i hadn't thought of that, will give it a try! I already played a little with the voltage control, and had some interesting output. I'll research some more and see how it goes using the MSI afterburner, which works like a charm for the temperature and clock/voltage control, and will share my experience. Any other contributions would definitely be welcome Smiley
wacko
Legendary

View Profile
November 22, 2017, 02:30:35 AM

I'll research some more and see how it goes using the MSI afterburner, which works like a charm for the temperature and clock/voltage control, and will share my experience. Any other contributions would definitely be welcome Smiley
The best way to adjust clock and voltage is through the curve. Press Ctrl+F in MSI AB, click on 0.8V point to select it, then drag the core clock slider (in the main program window) to the right till it reaches ~ 1500-1600 MHz. Then click on the next point (812mv) and drag it down (doesnt't matter how much, it just must be below the clock you set for 0.8V), and then the same for all the other points to the right (they don't have to be all the same clock, just drop them all down rapidly one by one — all of them should be lower than the one at 0.8V). Then click "apply" and you should see a straight line (it might go up a bit on higher voltages, like 1062-1075+mv, but that doesn't matter). That's it, you've got your voltage set to 0.8V and your clock to whatever it is you chose before (should be stable at 1500@0.8V, or maybe even higher, though you still might have to lower it if the miner/driver crashes). Then start increasing the memory clock until you find the maximum stable value (which brand's memory chips do you have btw? check with gpu-z).
Elder III

Activity: 1246
Merit: 274

View Profile
November 22, 2017, 02:31:38 AM

I would suggest a good cooling pad, something like this thermaltake one for $20 will make a big difference.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FPR8FLY?tag=amz-mkt-chr-us-20&ascsubtag=1ba00-01000-org00-def00-other-nomod-us000-pcomp&ref=bit_pcomp_ask_simstreat_c_sav0

I've used that cooler on desktop replacement high end gaming laptops (i7 4790K - yes it's a desktop cpu in a laptop and GTX 980m) and it helped to lower the temps ~ 8 C.
rafabud (OP)

View Profile
November 22, 2017, 10:50:10 AM

If you are looking at VTC, I've found better performance on the 1.8.3 version of ccminer.

I'll give it a try, i went for the 2.2 version (tpruvot), but i wasn't aware of the actual difference, thanks!
rafabud (OP)

View Profile
November 22, 2017, 10:55:08 AM

I'll research some more and see how it goes using the MSI afterburner, which works like a charm for the temperature and clock/voltage control, and will share my experience. Any other contributions would definitely be welcome Smiley
The best way to adjust clock and voltage is through the curve. Press Ctrl+F in MSI AB, click on 0.8V point to select it, then drag the core clock slider (in the main program window) to the right till it reaches ~ 1500-1600 MHz. Then click on the next point (812mv) and drag it down (doesnt't matter how much, it just must be below the clock you set for 0.8V), and then the same for all the other points to the right (they don't have to be all the same clock, just drop them all down rapidly one by one — all of them should be lower than the one at 0.8V). Then click "apply" and you should see a straight line (it might go up a bit on higher voltages, like 1062-1075+mv, but that doesn't matter). That's it, you've got your voltage set to 0.8V and your clock to whatever it is you chose before (should be stable at 1500@0.8V, or maybe even higher, though you still might have to lower it if the miner/driver crashes). Then start increasing the memory clock until you find the maximum stable value (which brand's memory chips do you have btw? check with gpu-z).

Perfect, that helped a lot! Much easier and effective way to adjust the settings. I've just installed gpu-z, and found out it's a Samsung GDDR5 6 Gb memory set.
rafabud (OP)

View Profile
November 22, 2017, 10:58:23 AM

I would suggest a good cooling pad, something like this thermaltake one for $20 will make a big difference.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FPR8FLY?tag=amz-mkt-chr-us-20&ascsubtag=1ba00-01000-org00-def00-other-nomod-us000-pcomp&ref=bit_pcomp_ask_simstreat_c_sav0

I've used that cooler on desktop replacement high end gaming laptops (i7 4790K - yes it's a desktop cpu in a laptop and GTX 980m) and it helped to lower the temps ~ 8 C.

I've used cooling pads like this one before, they really help, i'll do some local research and see if i can find similar products (i'm at the EU), if not, will order this one, thanks!
wacko
Legendary

View Profile
November 22, 2017, 12:45:44 PM

Perfect, that helped a lot! Much easier and effective way to adjust the settings. I've just installed gpu-z, and found out it's a Samsung GDDR5 6 Gb memory set.
Yeah, then ETH mining is probably the best way to go for you. Samsung memory usually overclocks a lot better than Hynix and Micron, and that's what matters the most for ETH algo. Plus it doesn't care as much about the core clock and the power consumption is on the low side in general. Download the latest version of nvidia profile inspector, set "CUDA - Force P2 State" to "Off" (it'll help to get rid of the unwanted memclock jump when you close the miner), set the core voltage to 0.8V and start overclocking the VRAM. You should get 20-23 MH/s out of your card. Though of course watch out for temps, that's the main issue in your setup.
rafabud (OP)

View Profile
November 22, 2017, 10:18:28 PM

Yeah, then ETH mining is probably the best way to go for you. Samsung memory usually overclocks a lot better than Hynix and Micron, and that's what matters the most for ETH algo. Plus it doesn't care as much about the core clock and the power consumption is on the low side in general. Download the latest version of nvidia profile inspector, set "CUDA - Force P2 State" to "Off" (it'll help to get rid of the unwanted memclock jump when you close the miner), set the core voltage to 0.8V and start overclocking the VRAM. You should get 20-23 MH/s out of your card. Though of course watch out for temps, that's the main issue in your setup.

Nice, honestly, i didn't make a lot of research on the matter, but from the little i had read, didn't know the GPU's memory brand could directly affect overclocking and power consumption. That is great news, i am thinking though of buying a dedicated rig, and starting to mine for real 24/7, the only bad side is that it is still too expensive to buy the components in EU, in comparison to US... I'll give a try with ETH, and will do my best not to turn my laptop into a toaster. Too busy with work right now, so i doubt i can keep my experience up to date here, but maybe things turn better for me soon. Your input was very helpful, sir Smiley
halker2010

Activity: 532
Merit: 250

The harder your life is the more meaning it has.

View Profile
November 22, 2017, 10:21:21 PM

It's typically not a good idea to mine with a laptop. The mobile specific components are not designed to last for long with 24/7 maxed out load that you have when mining. You would run a serious risk of frying it before you make enough to be worth the risk.
this is pretty much it do not try to mine with your laptop save some money for a decent rig.
Zandar

Activity: 294
Merit: 161

View Profile
November 24, 2017, 05:33:03 PM

A laptop doesn't have a good cooling system as a desktop since it is compact and isn't meant to be 24/7 turned on. Not only do you run risk in frying your laptop but by having it on 24/7 will ruin the battery of it in no time as well. Just go on youtube and see what kind of mining rigs people have built which are suitable for mining.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: