Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 02:15:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Getting a privkey for a particular address in Core node  (Read 322 times)
calkob (OP)

Activity: 1092
Merit: 520

View Profile
November 23, 2017, 09:13:57 AM

Hi, is it possible to get the core node to show a privkey for a particular address?  i am using the GUI and have used the console before, what is the command?

Thanks

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 6125

View Profile
November 23, 2017, 09:44:19 AM

Run the following commands in order (assuming that your wallet is encrypted with a password):

Code:
walletpassphrase "X" 600
dumpprivkey Y

Replace X with your password and Y with your address.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
nebu99

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 23, 2017, 06:11:32 PM

Run the following commands in order (assuming that your wallet is encrypted with a password):

Code:
walletpassphrase "X" 600
dumpprivkey Y

I have a question about this...I was using Bitcoin-QT at one point but after a while it kept crashing so I back all my old files up to an external hard drive and then re-installed the best version for my system as I am running Mac (Yosemite) 10.10.5 I removed the new wallet and replaced it with my old one when I started the wallet app it scanned the old wallet but now I am unable to unlock my wallet and I know the password and I have the recovery phrase but not working do I need to re-install the version I had and how do I obtain a privacy or use the recovery phase using bitcoin core bit of a novice when it comes to the whole coding thing and I am getting frustrated with this as I have coin in my wallet but I am unable to unlock it and I am looking at my passphrase can you give me some insight in to what i may be doing wrong? thanks
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4653

View Profile
November 23, 2017, 06:26:35 PM

I have a question about this...I was using Bitcoin-QT at one point but after a while it kept crashing so I back all my old files up to an external hard drive and then re-installed the best version for my system as I am running Mac (Yosemite) 10.10.5 I removed the new wallet and replaced it with my old one when I started the wallet app it scanned the old wallet but now I am unable to unlock my wallet and I know the password and I have the recovery phrase but not working do I need to re-install the version I had and how do I obtain a privacy or use the recovery phase using bitcoin core bit of a novice when it comes to the whole coding thing and I am getting frustrated with this as I have coin in my wallet but I am unable to unlock it and I am looking at my passphrase can you give me some insight in to what i may be doing wrong? thanks

Bitcoin Core (and Bitcoin-Qt) Do not use a recovery phrase.

If you have a recovery phrase, then you were not using Bitcoin Core or Bitcoin-Qt, you were using some other wallet software.  You will need to determine what software your recovery phrase is from and use the recovery phrase there.

Since you have a passphrase with a recovery phrase, this is probably NOT the passphrase for your Bitcoin Core (or Bitcoin-Qt) wallet.  It is probably the passphrase for some other wallet.  You will need to find or remember the correct passphrase for your Bitcoin Core wallet.  If you cannot find or remember your passphrase, then you might be able to use password cracking software to figure it out (if you chose a weak passphrase).  If you chose a strong passphrase, and you can not find or remember the correct passphrase, then you will not be able to access your bitcoins (unless you have a backup that was created prior to you setting the passphrase).

Note:  If you back up your Bitcoin Core wallet, and THEN you change the passphrase, then the backup will still have the OLD passphrase not the new one.  Perhaps the file that you recovered from was from prior to you changing the passphrase?  If so, you will need to find or remember what the old passphrase was.
nebu99

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 23, 2017, 06:27:19 PM

Code:
walletpassphrase "X" 600
dumpprivkey Y

Sorry for the typo how can eye get a privkey
calkob (OP)

Activity: 1092
Merit: 520

View Profile
November 24, 2017, 12:34:20 AM

Code:
walletpassphrase "X" 600
dumpprivkey Y

Thanks  Wink
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: