Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 11:28:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: computer freezes when running Bitcoin-Qt  (Read 1174 times)
quinton0227 (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 05:37:29 AM

ok, so i'm a total newb at this thing more or less, i've been running a miner for several months, and i just updated to the latest bitcoin-qt program.  Now whenever i run it, my computer freezes, completely locks up, within 1-3 hours of starting the program.  Anyone else have this problem?  If there is any info i can provide let me know and i'll put it up.

Sorry, thought this was in the techincal help forum, and it appears i can't delete my posts here either o.O

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Hippie Tech
aka Amenstop
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1001

All cryptos are FIAT digital currency. Do not use.

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2013, 07:13:55 AM

Hio Wink

I'll bet the cpu, psu or something is overheating because any QT newer than 7.2, likes to max out the cpu's cores. I wish they would fix that. lol

Bring up Task Manager then right click Bitcoin Qt under the processes tab, choose 'affinity' then select 1-2 cores.

gl n pEACe

For some

quinton0227 (OP)

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 09:24:24 PM

hmm, i'll try that, i had a BSOD just a bit ago where it said a clock interrupt was not recieved by the secondary processor in time.  Unfortunately i have no idea what that means, but it does kinda concern me.
WaverleyStreet

Activity: 14

View Profile
July 01, 2013, 05:34:02 PM

hmm, i'll try that, i had a BSOD just a bit ago where it said a clock interrupt was not recieved by the secondary processor in time.  Unfortunately i have no idea what that means, but it does kinda concern me.

was BSOD a result of running Bitcoin software on your computer?

>>>WTF???
quinton0227 (OP)

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 06:13:33 AM

Sorry about the long delay between responses.  It seems that the issue is/was an issue with firefox, bitcoin, and/or poclbm my bc miner.  I'm not sure exactly what the relation is, but i only ever experienced these major crashes when firefox and one or both of the other apps were running.  I had checked affinity for 4 cpu cores in my miner, and unchecked them, it seemed to help quite a bit, as i've only had the issue once since i did that.  Really wish i knew what caused this, never had this problem till recently.
Trillium

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 06:27:20 AM

bitcoin-qt places substantial stress on the CPU, storage device hosting the data folder, and also the controller of that storage device. To some extent a faulty PSU could be causing problems, mostly due to the power requirements of the CPU under load.

I would (make a backup of your data folder / wallet and then) test the program with the data folder running on a different storage device. You could use the following arguement on the end of a shortcut to the .exe,

Code:
C:\terracoin-qt\terracoin-qt.exe -datadir=S:\Terracoin

Is an example (but for terracoin in my case).

Also if your motherboard has two or more storage controllers (ie. two or more SATA controllers) then you could run your storage device off the other one and see if the problem persists. In fact you could simply use a USB storage device instead, by again using the shortcut trick shown above.

If it all still fails then I suspect you have a different but still serious problem with your motherboard, PSU, or CPU. Have you actually done stress tests on your CPU to ensure it is stable? This is even more important if you are running any kind of overclock or if you have your system setup to dynamically alter the CPU clocks using some kind of auto-performance profile that your motherboards vendor has come up with...

I recommend OCCT for CPU stress testing.

Are you running the latest chipset drivers for your motherboard? They usually include the storage controller driver in this package nowdays, although not always, consult your vendors driver download page to be sure. Also, is your motherboard BIOS up to date? So many things you need to look into...

BTC:1AaaAAAAaAAE2L1PXM1x9VDNqvcrfa9He6
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: