Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 02:31:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin's implementations  (Read 13630 times)
RHorning

Activity: 224
Merit: 141

View Profile
August 30, 2010, 02:44:07 PM

I've seen this mentioned before so it's not my idea, but I definitely agree with it.

It makes zero sense from a global perspective to have multiple Bitcoinesqe currencies. Each will be weaker than their combination would be. A small government could blast us away right now, or a medium sized corp for that matter. If all honest people work on the same currency we will be much stronger than if we are split.

There is one rather limited circumstance where I would like to create a second "Bitcoin" like currency that does make sense: within a MMORPG.

I'd like to create a game that uses a bitcoin-like currency (actually multiple "currencies") to be used as a means for "resource creation" within the game architecture itself.  I detailed my ideas on this thread here:  http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=353.0

If anything, that is the exception that proves the rule, and I would have to agree that creating multiple currencies complicates the whole process.   The only other possible exception would be to establish different network rules, where there is a substantial community that doesn't agree with the policies being implemented that have at least so far been arbitrarily set.  The "right to fork" is always present, and if the community isn't happy with the rules there is always the possibility to set up different rules for say generating coins or for transaction fees.

I would hope that for now any sort of disagreements with policies and network rules could be resolved through a consensus process and a strong defense of why each of the current rules exist at the moment.  It would have to be a major schism of the community and a political act to create a separate coin network that would have a chance to compete on a substantive basis.  At the moment, I don't see that being too much of a problem and the concept of Bitcoins is so new that I don't see those kind of factions forming within the Bitcoin community that would warrant such a split.  There are philosophical differences, but not enough for a fork.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Cdecker

Activity: 489
Merit: 504

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2010, 10:23:52 PM

I think we can generalize the idea: having multiple currencies is an additional roadblock to the adoption when it comes to interchangeability. If on the other side you intend to create a parallel community that does not aim to be interchangeable world wide, it might be in fact advantageous to split from the main chain.
Having multiple currencies create problems since then you'd have to exchange what you have for the currency the seller expects, and if such exchangers that have the right amount available are scarce there is the opportunity to have a personal gain.
I'd stick to the main line as long as possible, to facilitate ease of use and attract more people.

Want to see what developers are chatting about? http://bitcoinstats.com/irc/bitcoin-dev/logs/
Bitcoin-OTC Rating
pj

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 28, 2010, 01:56:07 PM

Great, thanks for the support guys. As for the aforementioned reverse engineering of the protocol, it's located on Google Code http://code.google.com/p/pybitcoin/wiki/BitcoinProtocol.

We were considering putting it on the Wiki on bitcoin.org, but we thought it important to have it as redundant as possible, and we'll try to contribute the details back to the mainstream client and the local wiki.

We are far from knowing all the details of the protocol, so every helping hand is welcome  Grin
That pybitcoin effort does not seem to have been updated since August 2010 (it is now the end of December 2010.)

What efforts (that one, or others I have not noticed yet) to reverse engineer the protocol and write other clients (C or Python being the languages I am fluent in) are currently active?

Such work seems to me to be critical to the success of bitcoin.
slush
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1097

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2010, 03:04:36 PM

What efforts (that one, or others I have not noticed yet) to reverse engineer the protocol and write other clients (C or Python being the languages I am fluent in) are currently active?

AFAIK helmut (nick on #bitcoin-dev IRC) is working on python implementation (based on Twisted). Personally I'm looking forward alternative python implementation...

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: