Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 01:15:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What exactly is the bear case? (sincere question)  (Read 2221 times)
cloon

Activity: 387
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 30, 2013, 09:50:38 PM

http://bitcoincharts.com/markets/currency/USD.html

all the other exchanges are lower
will mt.gox follow?

donations to 13zWUMSHA7AzGjqWmJNhJLYZxHmjNPKduY
Qoheleth
Legendary

Activity: 960
Merit: 1028

Spurn wild goose chases. Seek that which endures.

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2013, 10:07:44 PM

http://bitcoincharts.com/markets/currency/USD.html

all the other exchanges are lower
will mt.gox follow?
Right now, Mt. Gox is higher because it's impossible to get USD out of Mt. Gox.

I don't expect normalization until/unless wires get reenabled.

If there is something that will make Bitcoin succeed, it is growth of utility - greater quantity and variety of goods and services offered for BTC. If there is something that will make Bitcoin fail, it is the prevalence of users convinced that BTC is a magic box that will turn them into millionaires, and of the con-artists who have followed them here to devour them.
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 01, 2013, 11:23:45 PM

Basically the dollar is such a good investment that people are all jumping on board. I cashed out all of my stocks and bought dollars.

I have also taken out a huge loan in the hopes that the dollar goes up a lot.

We are all going to be rich!

How is taking out a USD loan possibly a good thing to do when the dollar is strong?  You have to pay it all back and even if it is a fixed rate the real value of the interest payments will rise.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
MJGrae

Activity: 134
Merit: 100

Sold.

View Profile
July 01, 2013, 11:32:03 PM

what does bitcoin have going for it?

answer:  hype.

i know cryptocurrencies are the future, but until the mainstream accepts it, btc could well go down to who the hell knows. i hope not back to single digit levels.

the good news is this is just the beginning. there are other cryptos people can speculate on and make money off as the technology keeps improving, evolving and slowly being used and accepted by the mainstream.

my bet is on ripple.

edit:  even then, if cryptos are widely accepted, its value would still go up and down like the usd, eur, gbp, etc..

Ripple is a scam. It is controlled by a single corporation that kept the vast majority of the coins for itself.

Did you know the market cap for Ripple is actually higher than bitcoin. That's how ridiculous ripple is. Most people will never use trust it and thus never use it. I know I never will.

Stop focusing on the intents of the creators in terms of whatever profit they might turn. As an individual that has been heavily involved in the finance industry I strongly believe that the system they have designed will be the future of financial transactions. Whether it is Ripple itself or a system heavily based on Ripple, or even relative "intranets" using a Ripple-like system in between business networks. In fact, if Ripple itself DOES stick, you will likely find yourself transacting in bitcoin over the Ripple network.

Why shouldn't the creators get paid for what they've done? The potential of the system behind the company is massive, as big if not bigger than bitcoin, and to be honest full mainstream acceptance of Ripple will probably happen before John Q. Public finally submits to Bitcoin for the simple fact that they can transact in their own currencies which helps them to feel secure, and they can experiment with bitcoin without being worried about the trouble of both cashing in-- and out-- of their own native currency.

There is no scam. They created an extremely interesting and useful system. The beauty of XRP is not in its value as a currency but in its value as an intermediary. Whatever money the company makes off of them is well deserved, and I don't think it will be nearly be as much as the first few people to start mining bitcoin would have made if they had held on to their stake.
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2013, 12:25:12 AM

Basically the dollar is such a good investment that people are all jumping on board. I cashed out all of my stocks and bought dollars.

How is taking out a USD loan possibly a good thing to do when the dollar is strong?  You have to pay it all back and even if it is a fixed rate the real value of the interest payments will rise.

Because the dollar kicks ass!!!

Print more so we are all rich rich rich!!!

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
nrd525
Legendary

Activity: 1867
Merit: 1023

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 02:28:53 AM

Google search trends for bitcoin.  Values it at around $25-$30.

Digital Gold for Gamblers and True Believers
vokain (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2013, 03:06:26 AM

Google search trends for bitcoin.  Values it at around $25-$30.

quick, someone do a r^3 regression
Kazu

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 04:49:03 AM

Easy

Bitcoin Spring.

Fiat Summer.

Bitcoin fall? Maybe we'll have to wait till next spring. But with the way things are going, who knows.  Cool

Don't worry, the bernankster's got our back. He'll do something stupid in the coming months. Or the bankster cartels. They'll try to bail-in another country with depositor funds or something.

Bitcoin Fall, or Fall of Bitcoin? Cheesy

In any case, logically it makes sense for Bitcoin to be down now because there is some serious deflationary risk in the USD. When the USD hops back on inflation express which it will eventually have to do thanks to all the QE (I guess it will happen when the FED decides to sell its bonds) then it makes sense to take out a loan and buy whatever (including bitcoin) assuming whatever (bitcoin) won't be inflated (which it won't) like the USD.

CoinLenders - Bitcoin Bank Script / Demo
1v.io/kazu - 15ccW7m6RxDFWEKc3P1NdwWpX1N1pU7gZ8
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 05:41:30 PM

Because the dollar kicks ass!!!

Print more so we are all rich rich rich!!!

If the dollar kicks ass, I still don't understand why you want to give up more dollars.  Taking out a loan means giving up more dollars than you receive.  (yes, I understand you are trolling, but you should at least be consistent Tongue)

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2013, 05:43:32 PM

(yes, I understand you are trolling, but you should at least be consistent Tongue)

Tongue

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: