Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 04:52:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Where to store bitcoin with safe?  (Read 755 times)
MikePCarr (OP)

Activity: 53
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 25, 2017, 01:22:27 PM

I'm buying BTC from an investment point of view to keep it for a few years. In this scenario, what would you advise and will storing the coins at the exhange be wise or should I store them somewhere else.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Alphredis

Activity: 201
Merit: 26

View Profile
November 25, 2017, 01:29:57 PM

Never Store the Bits in an exchange, if it get hacked/closed anything else your coins are lost. So the best way ist to store theme on an paperwallet or on a desktop/ledger wallet...

Alphredis

Str1x

Activity: 140
Merit: 33

Buy me a beer 13mVkBy6HVwKuNovaWzYdF27FB6pLqoJtr

View Profile
November 25, 2017, 01:30:27 PM

You know there is a search button on this forum right?

I actually made a tutorial about it: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2418352.msg24746679#msg24746679

To get back at your question, read these topics:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1911604.0
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1330899.0
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2368953.0
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1983707.0
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1678794.0;all

HabBear

Activity: 1106
Merit: 637

View Profile WWW
November 25, 2017, 01:37:23 PM

I'm buying BTC from an investment point of view to keep it for a few years. In this scenario, what would you advise and will storing the coins at the exhange be wise or should I store them somewhere else.

The safest place for storage is in an offline hardware wallet. Check out what's available from Trezor or Ledger. Both are world renowned for their security.

How much are you storing?
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 6125

View Profile
November 25, 2017, 01:38:23 PM

An encrypted paper wallet (stored in a safe place) or a hardware wallet are the best options for long term storage.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
ikecuit

Activity: 46

View Profile
November 25, 2017, 01:58:25 PM

A hardware Ledger wallet is best if you need to carry it around with you and you cannot store a paper wallet safely at home.
CryptoX006

Activity: 31

View Profile
November 25, 2017, 03:59:24 PM

I would advise using the ledger wallet. One of the safest options in my opinion!
moooonu

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 25, 2017, 04:59:58 PM

Don't even try to store your coins on exchanges. Try some wallets which you have control over. Try paper wallet, ledger wallets to save your bitcoins.
darkangel11
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1345

Defend Bitcoin and its PoW: bitcoincleanup.com

View Profile
November 25, 2017, 05:26:06 PM

Buy a hardware wallet or a device that has access to Internet via a cable, like a dedicated PC. Keep it clean and don't leave it connected for long. When you decide to use your money go online, send the transaction and go offline It will limit the window in which your computer can be accessed and your cable connection will keep you safe from possible wifi hacks.
Don't get me wrong this is still an overkill in most cases, but if you're storing coins worth $10k or more it's really not a bad idea to spend $500 on a device that will allow you to sleep at night.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
p3rplexamous

Activity: 95
Merit: 11

View Profile
November 25, 2017, 06:20:10 PM

I always suggest if you have a reasonable amount of money, anything over a few hundred dollars, to store via a hardware wallet.  Ledger, Trezor or Keepkey make great products, however I believe Ledger Nano S's are the best and most affordable option.  They also offer a great list of altcoin support and add new ones constantly and great Bitcoin hardfork support.  This week they are also offering 21% discount!  Check it out. 

https://www.ledgerwallet.com/products/ledger-nano-s
Intensity

Activity: 178
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 25, 2017, 10:19:47 PM

I always suggest if you have a reasonable amount of money, anything over a few hundred dollars, to store via a hardware wallet.  Ledger, Trezor or Keepkey make great products, however I believe Ledger Nano S's are the best and most affordable option.  They also offer a great list of altcoin support and add new ones constantly and great Bitcoin hardfork support.  This week they are also offering 21% discount!  Check it out. 

https://www.ledgerwallet.com/products/ledger-nano-s

Ledger Nano S all the way. Affordable price, good history, and easy to use. If somebody has over $1000 in crypto, I personally feel that a hardware wallet is a must have item. Plus! It makes a great stocking stuffer Smiley
Frollama

Activity: 27

View Profile
November 25, 2017, 10:37:21 PM

Use a cold storage wallet like Ledger NANO S
marky89

Activity: 756
Merit: 502

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
November 25, 2017, 11:09:06 PM

You should definitely avoid keeping them on an exchange. A few years is a lifetime in the cryptocurrency space, and your exchange could easily be hacked and shut down during that time. Plus, trusting a third party to take custody of your BTC sort of defeats the purpose of Bitcoin, which is intended to allow you to "be your own bank."

The easiest solution for a newbie is just to buy a hardware wallet like a TREZOR or Ledger Nano S. I would suggest only buying directly from the manufacturer:
https://trezor.io/
https://www.ledgerwallet.com/

Personally, I keep my long term cold storage on an air-gapped PC. But this method of cold storage is becoming obsolete now that hardware wallets are becoming the norm.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
Goosebump

Activity: 161

View Profile
November 25, 2017, 11:17:23 PM

I would suggest a hardware wallet. Both Trezor and Ledger are very user friendly and even the most novice of crypto investors can manage their way around them.

I believe the Ledger is actually on sale right now for Cyber Monday so this might be a great time to grab yourself one.

Trezor : https://shop.trezor.io/

Ledger Nano S : https://www.ledgerwallet.com/products/ledger-nano-s
ItBeginInAfrica

Activity: 120

View Profile
November 25, 2017, 11:17:52 PM

I store my bitcoins in blockchain.info and never have a single problem

★ ★ ★ ★ ★   DeepOnion  ✔  Anonymous and Untraceable Cryptocurrency  ✔  TOR INTEGRATED & SECURED   ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
› › › › ›  JOIN THE NEW AIRDROP ✈️    ★    ✔ VERIFIED WITH DEEPVAULT  ‹ ‹ ‹ ‹ ‹
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   ANN  WHITEPAPER  FACEBOOK  TWITTER  YOUTUBE  FORUM   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
ToTheMoon$

Activity: 77
Merit: 10

Investor on the move ~ Where's the profits???

View Profile
November 25, 2017, 11:18:32 PM

Try to buy a ledger nano, these are the best nowadays.

What should I invest in? PM me with your thoughts! Thanks
kuroman

Activity: 588
Merit: 501

View Profile
November 25, 2017, 11:48:24 PM

The safest way is cold storage, on a separate laptop/hard drive encrypted, or even paper note,  Trezor and Ledger are mentioned by others are really good. it all depends on the amount you have and how often you use it, a combination all above is the best thing you can do, + a Hot wallet with small amount transaction such as Bitcoin.info for example with a strong password obviously.
aardvark15

Activity: 994
Merit: 510

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 12:56:43 AM

I don’t fully trust any online exchange with Bitcoins especially the ones that control your private keys. I would only put Bitcoins or altcoins on those exchanges for trading and even then I would only put a small portion of my coins there.

The safest place to store Bitcoins or altcoins is in an offline wallet. I like using paper wallets myself but any offline wallet is probably good since you basically have full control of the private keys and theoretically no one else has access to them.
fredamankus

Activity: 20

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 09:50:59 AM

A friend  of mine told me the safest way to store your valuable  bitcoins is the hardware wallet such as the Nano  ledger.
YinShuiSiYuan

Activity: 1680
Merit: 505

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 04:33:19 PM

A friend  of mine told me the safest way to store your valuable  bitcoins is the hardware wallet such as the Nano  ledger.

Cause that is true, exchanges are the weakness possibilities to store coins cause they are the easiest to lose them so hardware is best option.

.7 BTC  WELCOME BONUS!..
██████████▀▀▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▀▀██████
█████████▄██████ ████ ▀████
██████▀▀ ▄▄▄▄ ▀▀███▀▄██ ███
████▀   ██████   ▀██████ ██
███ ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄ ██▄▄▄ ██
██ █████▀    ▀█████ ████ ██
██  ▀██        ███▀ ███ ███
██   ▄██▄    ▄██▄   █▀▄████
███ ▄████████████▄ ████████
████▄▀███▀▀▀▀███▀▄█████████
██████▄▄      ▄▄███████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████▄█████▄█▄███▄█▄██████████▄██▀▀▀████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████▀████▄████▀██████████████████████████▄█████▄██▄█████▄████▄████▄████▄████████
█████████████████▐█████▌███████████▄█████▀███▀▀████████▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀██████▀▀███▀▀███████████
██████████████▄████▀████▄██████████████████▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄████████████████████████
████████████████▀█▀███▀█▀██████████▀███████▀█████████▀█████▀██▀█████▀███████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
████████▀▀  ▐█▌  ▀▀████████
██████▄     ▐█▌     ▄██████
████ ▀██▄▄███████▄▄██▀ ████
███    ██▀▀  ▄  ▀▀██    ███
██    ██   ▄███▄   ██    ██
████████  ███████  ████████
██    ██  ▀▀ █ ▀▀  ██    ██
███    ██▄▄ ▀▀▀ ▄▄██    ███
████ ▄██▀▀██████▀▀▀██▄ ████
██████▀     ▐█▌     ▀██████
████████▄▄  ▐█▌  ▄▄████████
.30+  ALTCOINS AVAILABLE..
cuenzy

Activity: 532
Merit: 103

Fast, Smart, Trustworthy

View Profile WWW
November 26, 2017, 04:47:23 PM

Hardware wallets are the straigtforward option but you should take into consideration the amount you store. Also you need to have backups for your private keys that are offline or encrypted online. Right now I couldnt suggest one. but in case you would like to access if anywhere and anytime I think this is a good way and like they said never ever store it in online exchanges.
Boseda

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 04:58:21 PM

The best way is to store your Bitcoins in a safe wallets never connected on the Internet. Something like a hardware wallet or maybe Electrum put on a USB stick. Paper wallets could be good options too...

instead storing your coins on exchanges is very risky! Please avoid doing it!
yeezycheezy

Activity: 476

Cryptoknowmics - World's First Decentralized Media

View Profile WWW
November 26, 2017, 05:58:06 PM

for me im using coins.ph but i still dont have bitcoins . they say its safe there in coins.ph because theyre popular but dont take my advice serioously im just a newbie  but for me coins.ph

p3rplexamous

Activity: 95

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 06:12:07 PM

Never store long term on an exchange.  Is it convenient? yes, especially with all the forks and whatnot.  But under no circumstances would I ever leave on an exchange.  Lots of new people here dont remember what it was like to lose money on Mt Gox, or even BTC-E, so I say it again, DO NOT STORE YOUR MONEY ON AN EXCHANGE.  Buy a hardware wallet, learn how to use it, and keep it in a safe place.  I suggest Ledgers Nano S, and right now they even have a deal for 21% off because of Black Friday.  Check it out.  https://www.ledgerwallet.com/products/ledger-nano-s
godfredmanu

Activity: 266

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 06:56:36 PM

Use cold  storage to store your btc if your aim is to invest in the longer term. Keeping your money online is very risky. What if the exchange go out of business.

STEALTHCRYPTO        ═════•    QUANTUM MEST NETWORK   •═════  STEALTHCRYPTO
███ Quantum Secure Cryptography for data protection  ███
Telegram | Reddit | Medium | Twitter | Google plus | Facebook
Dudeperfect

Activity: 1190
Merit: 534

View Profile WWW
November 27, 2017, 05:54:08 AM

I would never advise you storing on any exchange even if you are getting any interest for it because irrespective of your security precautions, there is a chance of compromisation of the database at the server side so you can either use a securely generate paper wallet (don't forget to maintain backup copies at various places) or you can buy reputed hardware wallets like Trezor wallet (again, you must maintain backup copies of seed key). Keeping your funds offline helps you to avoid hacking attempts.
kelvinyong

Activity: 20

View Profile
November 27, 2017, 07:39:33 AM

What are the disadvantages and threats of storing your cryptos in exchanges?
Btw, does wallet like nano ledger accept any amount of cryptos without having transaction fees?
olehgol260

Activity: 41

View Profile
November 27, 2017, 08:49:19 AM

Btw, does wallet like nano ledger accept any amount of cryptos without having transaction fees?

The first question was already answered here: OP asked for a long-term storage and exchanges are more likely to close/be hacked/whatever what may lead to losing the money, as exchanges store your private keys. The answer to the second question I would like to know as well.
digimarketblockchain

Activity: 8

View Profile
November 27, 2017, 09:05:21 AM

Cheapest - Paper wallet, store them carefully
safest - hardware wallet
thinkpad99

Activity: 654
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 29, 2017, 10:10:34 PM

The first question was already answered here: OP asked for a long-term storage and exchanges are more likely to close/be hacked/whatever what may lead to losing the money, as exchanges store your private keys. The answer to the second question I would like to know as well.

This is the most common problem for new users. They protect their wallets badly, and the savings have quite a lot. You do not need a good hacker to steal all the mediums if the protection is what it is.
mikey08

Activity: 7

View Profile
November 30, 2017, 09:40:30 AM

I am new to crypto.

I have money to invest not a lot.

I want to do long term trading as well as short term. Most of my funds would be tied up in several like btc, eth, etc but a few dollars amount i want to tied up in swing and day.

I guess the online exchanges would be the best bet, right, vs a hardware, I am looking to compound my money. so I heard average of day or swing is about 1 percent . That would be lot of money in the future

I have not traded anything yet, because I am having problems getting verified at coinbase ( only 50 dollars the max) limit and few others seem like they dont want to take me.
TaKlarPH

Activity: 168

View Profile
November 30, 2017, 11:14:35 AM

asicvault.io Just searched for this at google weeks ago because the internet of today when it comes to cyprtocurrency hacking is here. So heah we need to be aware of this so I suggest you go to Google or ask at different forums that you think can help you about diiferent undercover USB wallet to store your bitcoins.
popeye95

Activity: 398

View Profile
November 30, 2017, 12:24:14 PM

Should be a method that require an encrypted wallet, then encrypted it again by software and save in to USB and online upload file.
trumpnoimee

Activity: 3

View Profile
November 30, 2017, 01:50:45 PM

Vote https://shop.trezor.io/
aizen10

Activity: 546

View Profile
November 30, 2017, 02:46:15 PM

i strongly recommend you to use hardware wallet for more safety, but if you cant afford to purchase hardware wallet for now you can use offline wallet too, like electrum bitcoin wallet, this wallet has a cold storage feature for more safety of your bitcoin than the other web wallets out there. i use this wallet for almost 1 year so i strongly recommend this electrum wallet, but its up to you if theres any other bitcoin wallets that suits to your needs.
liuka

Activity: 817
Merit: 565

View Profile
November 30, 2017, 03:16:40 PM

there are many wallet you can use it like blockchain.info (online wallet) or electrum ( hardwhare wallet)
Is it safe at the moment.
Mike Mayor

Activity: 966
Merit: 535

View Profile
November 30, 2017, 05:09:24 PM

Make paper backs ups and store them in t :Dhe safe or somewhere like that. Paper Backus are best and should have your private keys written or printed on them.

The exchange could close down or run. It's ok for short periods of time but don't leave it there for days or weeks on end.

I am new to crypto.

I have money to invest not a lot.

I want to do long term trading as well as short term. Most of my funds would be tied up in several like btc, eth, etc but a few dollars amount i want to tied up in swing and day.

I guess the online exchanges would be the best bet, right, vs a hardware, I am looking to compound my money. so I heard average of day or swing is about 1 percent . That would be lot of money in the future

I have not traded anything yet, because I am having problems getting verified at coinbase ( only 50 dollars the max) limit and few others seem like they dont want to take me.

Where are you hearing about 1%/day investments? Sounds like a scam/Ponzi be careful.

Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: