Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 07:19:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [PATCH] jsMiner: perf improvement  (Read 2030 times)
mrb (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1027

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2011, 10:15:32 PM
Last edit: May 30, 2011, 11:54:58 PM by mrb

I spent 15min, for fun, looking at possible optimizations for jsMiner. My patch simply inlines some functions, pre-computes constants, and caches array values, and ends up increasing its performance by ~1.7x under V8 (benchmarked within nodejs 0.1.97) on my Core i3-i380UM (1.33GHz), from 8.3 kHash/s to 13.9 kHsh/s.

This means jsMiner is "only" between 1/38th and 1/59th the performance of cpuminer 1.0.1:
* 'cryptopp' algo: 525 kHash/s
* '4way' algo: 825 kHash/s

See http://pastie.org/1995279
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
1bitc0inplz

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 30, 2011, 11:07:25 PM

Wow!

Thank you. I have not yet looked at your patch, but that is awesome that you were able to increase the performance like that.

I will look over this patch and post back up... But, I did want to post sooner rather than later to let you know that I saw your message.

Thanks again.

Mine @ http://pool.bitp.it - No fees, virtually 0 stales, what's not to love!
Chat with us @ #bitp.it on irc.freenode.net
Learn more about our pool @ http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=12181.0
AngelusWebDesign

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 30, 2011, 11:37:35 PM

1bitcoinplz:

Have you looked into various techniques for Javascript optimization? I did a lot of that a few years ago when I wrote a Warcraft II clone that plays in the browser. I wanted to squeeze every CPU cycle I could out of the Javascript engines/CPUs of the time.

I read up on various things you can do -- I think it helped. You can even "compile" your code using a PHP/C/VB.net program to replace constants with actual numbers. That way, your code is readable/understandable, yet you're not using "variables" when you don't have to.

I wrote my own "obfuscator" as well, which reduced the file size and made it hard to follow.
1bitc0inplz

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 31, 2011, 06:04:58 AM

I've been looking over the patch. It looks like you found some performance tweaks in the SHA implementation. That is, one area of our code where we just took a literal approach to the algorithm. So, I cannot say I'm surprised it can be cleaned up a bit.

mrb, did you want to setup a pull request on github? I'd like to see about incorporating your changes.

AngelusWebDesign, I was under the impression that browsers like Chrome and Safari did JIT compilation of Javascript... I wonder if inlining constants has as much an effect in those browsers? Either way, I have not looked too much into such techniques, though I should.

On a related note, we have been doing a lot of the backend stuff with node.js, and I must say... the V8 runtime & node.js are purely amazing! The turn around time on HTTP requests is super low, even with high volume. Having used ASP.NET and Rails on numerous other projects I think it'd be safe to say the CPU time and memory footprint of node.js is half of what they normally get.

Mine @ http://pool.bitp.it - No fees, virtually 0 stales, what's not to love!
Chat with us @ #bitp.it on irc.freenode.net
Learn more about our pool @ http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=12181.0
mrb (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1027

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2011, 06:40:26 AM

jsMiner actually performs even faster in Chrome than in node.js!

I am not suprised either by the performance gain I got. Some people in #bitcoin-dev wrongly claimed it was already optimized, when I knew it was not.

Don't have time to set up a pull req., sorry.
Stefan Thomas

Activity: 234
Merit: 100

AKA: Justmoon

View Profile WWW
July 01, 2011, 01:20:46 PM

Would this sha256 function be safe for us to use inside Webcoin? Or is it "mining-specific" in some fashion? I can't see how it would be, just making sure.

Also, do you want to have a go at optimizing Webcoin's JavaScript ECDSA stuff as well? It's the bottleneck in Webcoin at the moment. Any speedup to the elliptic curve point multiplication or big integer math would be a godsend.

Twitter: @justmoon
PGP: D16E 7B04 42B9 F02E 0660  C094 C947 3700 A4B0 8BF3
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: