Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 04:53:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Bitcoin Blockchain Size  (Read 1437 times)
CaptChadd (OP)

Activity: 924
Merit: 1005

Product Marketing & Promotion / Software Developer

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 01:16:20 PM

I know that probably has been mentioned before but I just checked the size of the Bitcoin folder in appdata and it is now 17GB. Right now I have it stored on another drive and then mapped across, due to my OS drive being a small SSD.

Is there going to be any way for the dev's to be able to decrease this at all?

Imagine 10 years down the line and a 100 GB or higher Bitcoin appdata folder, that is always a lot of space even on a TB HD.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin Catalog

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

The Bitcoin Catalog ---> Get Started!

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2013, 01:18:59 PM

Yes there are. Take a look at my signature

The Bitcoin Catalog: Second edition coming out in November! Click here for a  FREE pdf catalog!
Follow us on twitter! @BTCcatalog
kik1977

Activity: 593
Merit: 505

Wherever I may roam

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 02:09:36 PM

I know that probably has been mentioned before but I just checked the size of the Bitcoin folder in appdata and it is now 17GB. Right now I have it stored on another drive and then mapped across, due to my OS drive being a small SSD.

Imagine 10 years down the line and a 100 GB or higher Bitcoin appdata folder, that is always a lot of space even on a TB HD.

At the actual rate, if nothing is done, the 100GB size will be reach in a couple of years, not in 10!! Expecially if Bitcoin become widespread!

We are like butterflies who flutter for a day and think it is forever
Killdozer

Activity: 203
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 02:19:13 PM

I know that probably has been mentioned before
It has been. A LOT.

the founder

Activity: 448
Merit: 251

Bitcoin

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2013, 03:24:43 PM

honestly this is one of the bigger problems...  I know there are other solutions.. but the solution needs to come from the client  here : http://bitcoin.org/en/download

Otherwise it's going to become a bigger and bigger problem.. literally speaking.

Bitcoin RSS App / Bitcoin Android App / Bitcoin Webapp http://www.ounce.me  Say thank you here:  1HByHZQ44LUCxxpnqtXDuJVmrSdrGK6Q2f
cheesylard

Activity: 104
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2013, 04:22:43 PM

Is it possible for it to be compressed at all?
CaptChadd (OP)

Activity: 924
Merit: 1005

Product Marketing & Promotion / Software Developer

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 09:05:09 PM

Is it possible for it to be compressed at all?

I don't know about compression but at the moment the only thing I can do is store it on a bigger HD and map it across.
kik1977

Activity: 593
Merit: 505

Wherever I may roam

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 11:02:43 PM

Talking about blockchain size...

http://thegenesisblock.com/off-chain-micropayments-implemented-in-bitcoinj/

We are like butterflies who flutter for a day and think it is forever
legitnick

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2013, 05:04:17 AM

As computers technology progresses the file size really wont be a problem in 10 years.

5 BITCOIN RAFFLE GIVEAWAY
"I dont lift" - Lord Furrycoat
the founder

Activity: 448
Merit: 251

Bitcoin

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2013, 05:14:36 PM

As computers technology progresses the file size really wont be a problem in 10 years.

Moore's Law : Moore's law is the observation that, over the history of computing hardware, the number of transistors on integrated circuits doubles approximately every two years.

Bitcoins's Law: Bitcoins's law is the observation that, over the history of blockchain size, the overall size of the blockchain doubles approximately every 6 months.

In other words the blockchain is growing 4 times faster than Moore's Law.   In 10 years we are going to be seeing an epic disaster if both hold true.   And I am being EXTREMELY conservative on the growth rate,  recently it's been every 3.4 months.

Bitcoin RSS App / Bitcoin Android App / Bitcoin Webapp http://www.ounce.me  Say thank you here:  1HByHZQ44LUCxxpnqtXDuJVmrSdrGK6Q2f
bluemeanie1

Activity: 280
Merit: 257

bluemeanie

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2013, 02:46:26 AM

it's totally unmanageable.  It's simply not going to be practical in the near term.

this will solve some of the issues, but the basic problems remain.

Just who IS bluemeanie?    On NXTautoDAC and a Million Stolen NXT

feel like your voice isn't being heard? PM me.   |   stole 1M NXT?
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 03:04:36 AM

The basic problem can be solved with SPV / light nodes, which are mentioned in satoshi's paper. Alternately, as Bitcoin services evolve and stop being run and developed by incompetent coders that get hacked, people will place more trust on online wallets that do not require downloading the blockchain.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: