Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 11:37:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Make [ICO]s available for U.S citizens :)  (Read 151 times)
salises (OP)

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 13, 2018, 10:17:54 PM
Last edit: January 14, 2018, 08:34:11 PM by salises

There's an issue with U.S citizens participation in ICO's because of SEC.

Maybe it's possible to present the ICO in a such way that it doesn't violate the U.S law? From my perspective, ICO's are nothing less than a kickstarter and kickstarters are legal.

As you guys got much more experience than me in this field, I'd like to know your opinion.

Thank you Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
CryptoAlphaStar

Activity: 574
Merit: 101

View Profile
January 14, 2018, 02:32:36 AM

Nothing much can be done. Plus, why should ICOs care? Whether money go to the ICO or afterwards the money flood on the exchanges it is the same thing. Price goes up.
salises (OP)

View Profile
January 14, 2018, 05:48:04 AM

Nothing much can be done. Plus, why should ICOs care? Whether money go to the ICO or afterwards the money flood on the exchanges it is the same thing. Price goes up.

It can be. People just have to think outside the box. Easier said than done, I know.

It doesn't has to be in the form of an ICO like we all know, it can be something else.
Liquidathor22

Activity: 114

View Profile
January 14, 2018, 05:50:49 AM

It depends on your marketing team. An ICO can be established anywhere and can target any specific market. Try to make an idea that the US citizen would be interested in that way you can make an ICO for a specific target.
Queen12

Activity: 182
Merit: 10

Open and Transparent Science Powered By Blockchain

View Profile
January 14, 2018, 05:52:20 AM

If you provide an ICO service to an American citizen, you may face a problem with American law, so it's not a wise decision, friend.

ORVIUM        Open and Transparent Science Powered By Blockchain        ORVIUM
█    Whitepaper        Telegram        Twitter        Facebook        Reddit        Blog    █
▇▆▅▃▃▃▃▃▃   Token Generation Event: Coming Soon   ▃▃▃▃▃▃▅▆▇
UZIzzzz

Activity: 168
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 14, 2018, 06:11:25 AM

You may be able to ban American IP participation, so when American citizens want to participate, they can only use VPNS, so they avoid the issue of the law.

DCC│Distributed Credit Chain
    Empower Credit, Enable Finance   
GithubFacebookMedium ‹‹‹dcc.finance››› RedditTwitterTelegram
salises (OP)

View Profile
January 14, 2018, 07:24:54 AM

If you provide an ICO service to an American citizen, you may face a problem with American law, so it's not a wise decision, friend.

Indeed. But not if it's made totally legal. For example: mask it as something else but have the same principle as an ICO in the end.

It depends on your marketing team. An ICO can be established anywhere and can target any specific market. Try to make an idea that the US citizen would be interested in that way you can make an ICO for a specific target.

That's not an issue. The issue is the law of participation in ICO's for U.S citizens.
salises (OP)

View Profile
January 14, 2018, 07:53:45 PM

Bump. Still looking for ideas!

Thank you.
MadZ

Activity: 908
Merit: 657

View Profile
January 14, 2018, 07:58:09 PM

ICO's are available for US citizens, they're just not legal. Don't kid yourself, anyone tech savvy enough to use cryptocurrency is also smart enough to use a proxy. US citizens invest in ICO's all the time.
trouble401

Activity: 72
Merit: 6

View Profile
January 14, 2018, 08:01:40 PM

Are ICOs actually illegal?  I thought the reason that ICOs aren't made available is because the SEC has regulations on who is an accredited investor that is able to participate in such offerings (such as IPOs).  For whoever is managing the ICO, it is just easier to exclude US users instead of trying to verify those who are eligible.

DeepOnion ⚡ Anonymous & Untraceable Cryptocurrency
⚡ Join DeepOnion Airdrop NOW! ⚡ (https://deeponion.org/apply.php?ref=1135054)
MadZ

Activity: 908
Merit: 657

View Profile
January 14, 2018, 08:16:56 PM

Are ICOs actually illegal?  I thought the reason that ICOs aren't made available is because the SEC has regulations on who is an accredited investor that is able to participate in such offerings (such as IPOs).  For whoever is managing the ICO, it is just easier to exclude US users instead of trying to verify those who are eligible.

Yes, you are correct, ICOs are legal for accredited investors to invest in. The main issue is that most people don't satisfy the requirements of $1M net worth (excluding permanent residence) or three years of income greater than $200K.
Liquidathor22

View Profile
January 15, 2018, 10:55:00 AM

ICO's are available for US citizens, they're just not legal. Don't kid yourself, anyone tech savvy enough to use cryptocurrency is also smart enough to use a proxy. US citizens invest in ICO's all the time.

Yeah correct, I have seen few ICO project that team members and owners are particularly from US. Even if you are a law abiding citizen or whatever you can do what you want if you know how to work things around. I suppose you don't really know how crypto works.
penig

Activity: 266
Merit: 13

View Profile
January 15, 2018, 10:59:21 AM

Bolded the important part.  Same restrictions apply if you offer shares outside the US too, and if you IPO inside US you have to follow strict rules on disclosure, its easier just to not offer to US citizens.  If you ever read the risk assessments that accompany IPOs you'd think they were trying to talk you out of investment  Cheesy  Similar declarations for cryptocoins...  Shocked
Zendalet

Activity: 210
Merit: 12

View Profile
January 15, 2018, 11:07:51 AM

Maybe it's possible to present the ICO in a such way that it doesn't violate the U.S law? From my perspective, ICO's are nothing less than a kickstarter and kickstarters are legal.

ICOs are not exactly like Kickstarters, because with Kickstarters you donate money and may get a reward in return. With ICOs you get tokens, some of which can give dividends. When they do they are investments and fall under SEC regulations. If the tokens don't give dividends they are called utility tokens, in theory they should be OK because they aren't supposed to fluctuate in price, but here it gets murky.
Liquidathor22

View Profile
January 16, 2018, 09:12:20 AM

Bolded the important part.  Same restrictions apply if you offer shares outside the US too, and if you IPO inside US you have to follow strict rules on disclosure, its easier just to not offer to US citizens.  If you ever read the risk assessments that accompany IPOs you'd think they were trying to talk you out of investment  Cheesy  Similar declarations for cryptocoins...  Shocked

As I said clearly you can walk your things around. Everything can be faked, I am not saying this is a good solution. But since Bitcoin or cryptocurrency is considered as anonymous then why you would worry?
brainitterem

Activity: 192

View Profile
January 16, 2018, 09:15:39 AM

First of all you can move to other country or just participate in any ico what dont need verification. Nobody will know because its cryptoworld, thats why its attractive.
European Central Bank
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1087

View Profile
January 16, 2018, 02:55:10 PM

you would need to spend several million dollars on compliance and kyc/aml stuff before they'd even dream of permitting it, and even after all that there are a bunch of laws you probably don't know about that they'd spring on you.

if americans don't like it, and i don't blame them, then they should stand for congress and get it changed.
Liquidathor22

View Profile
January 17, 2018, 12:38:32 PM

you would need to spend several million dollars on compliance and kyc/aml stuff before they'd even dream of permitting it, and even after all that there are a bunch of laws you probably don't know about that they'd spring on you.

if americans don't like it, and i don't blame them, then they should stand for congress and get it changed.

Yeah, I believe in a saying that if there's a will there's a way. LOL I wouldn't be worrying the laws too much, A lot of ICO that are based in US without having any problems at all.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: