Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 07:24:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: In the event of a 51% attack, how would it be resolved?  (Read 723 times)
mustyoshi (OP)

Activity: 287
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 12:14:16 AM

This issue was brought up in a reddit thread. And now I'm genuinely curious, the person I was talking to about it seems to feel that the major mining players could collude to exclude the attacker, and that would be an acceptable course of action.

I on the other hand feel that any action that shows how easily it is for the network to censor blocks would actually be more detrimental to the network than the attacker is (the attacker would only hold the majority power for a short span of time as ASIC hardware producers would most likely use their production capabilities to roll out more "legitimate" hash power) I believe that a 51% attack can only be resolved by increasing the legitimate network hashrate, not by excluding blocks.

Thoughts?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 12:40:51 AM

This issue was brought up in a reddit thread. And now I'm genuinely curious, the person I was talking to about it seems to feel that the major mining players could collude to exclude the attacker, and that would be an acceptable course of action.

So less than 50% of hashing capacity will ignore the longest chain?

There's a slight chance this would work if the attacker's capacity cannot be sustained.  For instance, if the attacker is a pool that miners will abandon once they determine that the pool is attacking.   It might be possible then for the "honest" side to attract enough hashing to have a decent chance of eventually becoming the longest chain.  

But with "longest chain wins", every second that passes makes it more risky for the "honest" miners to even try such a tactic.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

mustyoshi (OP)

Activity: 287
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 12:43:32 AM

So less than 50% of hashing capacity will ignore the longest chain?

There's a slight chance this would work if the attacker's capacity cannot be sustained.  For instance, if the attacker is a pool that miners will abandon once it they determine that the pool is attacking.    

But with "longest chain wins", every second that passes makes it more risky for the remaining miners to even try such a tactic.
Well, I wrote "the majority mining players" but I think he also meant that the client would be changed to exclude this attack chain.
Qoheleth
Legendary

Activity: 960
Merit: 1028

Spurn wild goose chases. Seek that which endures.

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2013, 03:25:16 AM

There was a proposal at this year's conference, which essentially amounted to "chain inertia". Basically, the argument was that you can sometimes execute a 51% attack with only, say, 25% of the hashpower - it's all probability, after all. But if miners and clients respond to a reorg by ignoring the new chain unless it can get a 2-3 block lead on the old one, this risk is greatly reduced, because honest nodes have a chance to "catch up".

This doesn't address a situation where a single attacker really does have, say, 60% of the votes. But, well, Bitcoin was never designed to be resilient against that sort of attacker.

If there is something that will make Bitcoin succeed, it is growth of utility - greater quantity and variety of goods and services offered for BTC. If there is something that will make Bitcoin fail, it is the prevalence of users convinced that BTC is a magic box that will turn them into millionaires, and of the con-artists who have followed them here to devour them.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: