Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:55:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: same public key  (Read 3140 times)
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 10:05:25 PM

Your question was answered though it might not have been very obvious.

Isn't the following extremely clear?

If it ever happened, it would mean you can steal the money in there.

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1063

Gerald Davis

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 10:26:08 PM

Exactly it is that simple.  The Bitcoin network has no concept of "ownership" only authentication.  If one can sign a transaction with a valid private key they can spend the coins.  If someone generates an address which produces the same public key as your address then they can spend your coins.

TECHICENINE

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2013, 11:32:46 PM
Last edit: June 29, 2013, 11:46:15 PM by TECHICENINE

Exactly it is that simple.  The Bitcoin network has no concept of "ownership" only authentication.  If one can sign a transaction with a valid private key they can spend the coins.  If someone generates an address which produces the same public key as your address then they can spend your coins.

yes we will see how beta testing the lightning generator(key sniffer)works out in the shark think tank..lol

http://tesladownunder.com/Tesla18Week2FullBright3000_small.jpg
schnuber (OP)

Activity: 96
Merit: 18

View Profile
June 30, 2013, 07:56:41 AM

Exactly it is that simple.  The Bitcoin network has no concept of "ownership" only authentication.  If one can sign a transaction with a valid private key they can spend the coins.  If someone generates an address which produces the same public key as your address then they can spend your coins.

And what would happen with money that is transferred to an address that exists twice? would this money be doubled?
TECHICENINE

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2013, 09:51:15 AM

Exactly it is that simple.  The Bitcoin network has no concept of "ownership" only authentication.  If one can sign a transaction with a valid private key they can spend the coins.  If someone generates an address which produces the same public key as your address then they can spend your coins.

And what would happen with money that is transferred to an address that exists twice? would this money be doubled?

imo it's going to get/\hairy if the geek foundation itself throws a monkey\/wrench reboot type command..thanks
MarpleTrading

Activity: 191
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2013, 10:09:57 AM

Why would it get doubled? It is the same address, only more than one person has access to it. It is like sharing your wallet with your brother or whomever.

An easy to use API for price information from the most import crypto exchanges
https://www.cryptodb.com
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
June 30, 2013, 10:48:10 AM

Why would it get doubled? It is the same address, only more than one person has access to it. It is like sharing your wallet with your brother or whomever.
Are you saying that if I share my wallet with my brother the money isn't doubled? Crap!

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
MarpleTrading

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2013, 10:51:56 AM

Are you saying that if I share my wallet with my brother the money isn't doubled? Crap!

HuhHuh

If I have a wallet with 1 BTC and I share it with my brother I still have 1BTC. No doubling there. Only now my brother can spend it and when he does, I cannot.

EDIT:
prolly misunderstand doubling?

Remember remember the 5th of November
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
June 30, 2013, 12:14:07 PM

You can't double money in bitcoin.

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1129

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2013, 12:16:59 PM

HuhHuh

If I have a wallet with 1 BTC and I share it with my brother I still have 1BTC. No doubling there. Only now my brother can spend it and when he does, I cannot.

EDIT:
jackjack was being sarcastic.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
MarpleTrading

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2013, 12:26:45 PM

HuhHuh

EDIT:
jackjack was being sarcastic.

IC. LOL

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1063

Gerald Davis

View Profile
June 30, 2013, 02:38:23 PM
Last edit: June 30, 2013, 04:56:11 PM by DeathAndTaxes

No.  If you make a backup of your wallet the address exists twice but it doesn't double your money.

Imagine you had a safety deposit box which only had one key and you put $500 into it.  Thus only you can spend the $500, and to do so requires the key.  
Now imagine the bank screwed up and gave a second copy of your key to someone else by mistake.  Same deposit box, same $500 inside it but now two keys which open the box.  Has the money been doubled?  Can it be spent twice?  Of course not it simply means whoever use the box first can spend it and once spent the funds are gone.

Bitcoin works the same way.  Your client/wallet doesn't have any coins.  It has a set of keys which allow it to transfer ownership of coins in the blockchain.  Instead of one safety deposit box "your coins" are distributed across tens of thousands of nodes all over the planet.  When you spend coins you send a message to the network saying "hey those coins at address 1xyz... please transfer control of them to 1abc...  I have signed this message with the private key for 1xyz so you know it is a valid request".  The bitcoin network includes the transaction in the next block and the global consensus on where coins are located has been updated.  All nodes now agree the coins are not at 1xyz... they are at 1abc... .
schnuber (OP)

Activity: 96
Merit: 18

View Profile
June 30, 2013, 04:00:22 PM

Thanks guys, now I think I understand this topic
TECHICENINE

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2013, 05:42:52 PM

HuhHuh

EDIT:

easy just print out two or IC3/\physical bitcoins with the same addy and we are all\/good ..thanks
TECHICENINE

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2013, 05:51:20 PM

No.  If you make a backup of your wallet the address exists twice but it doesn't double your money.

Imagine you had a safety deposit box which only had one key and you put $500 into it.  Thus only you can spend the $500, and to do so requires the key.  
Now imagine the bank screwed up and gave a second copy of your key to someone else by mistake.  Same deposit box, same $500 inside it but now two keys which open the box.  Has the money been doubled?  Can it be spent twice?  Of course not it simply means whoever use the box first can spend it and once spent the funds are gone.

Bitcoin works the same way.  Your client/wallet doesn't have any coins.  It has a set of keys which allow it to transfer ownership of coins in the blockchain.  Instead of one safety deposit box "your coins" are distributed across tens of thousands of nodes all over the planet.  When you spend coins you send a message to the network saying "hey those coins at address 1xyz... please transfer control of them to 1abc...  I have signed this message with the private key for 1xyz so you know it is a valid request".  The bitcoin network includes the transaction in the next block and the global consensus on where coins are located has been updated.  All nodes now agree the coins are not at 1xyz... they are at 1abc... .

fact is/\people don't trust computers in general and without some kind of physical backup=\/fail..thanks
elements

Activity: 182

View Profile
July 01, 2013, 11:47:06 PM

Even though it is highly improbable I think there are actually two questions to this:

a) what happens if the same address (public key) gets created
b) what happens if the same private key gets created

a)
As far as I know a certain address usually holds only parts of your wallets Bitcoins (worst case scenario all),
so if the same address gets created but the private keys are different only the amount assigned to that address can be spent by both people (because their different private keys are locked with the same address).

b)
If the private keys are identical all the funds of each wallet could be spent by each user.

(What happens if both have different amounts of BTC in their wallets - what would show on the client)

Or did I get something wrong here?

»A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof was to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.« - Douglas Adams
Use the trusted German Bitcoin exchange: https://www.bitcoin.de/de/r/5wcwts
Tips & donations: BTC : 1MAQYNLp2VJ9wWhPYg5BnrbUGzdhGXopZw | CGB: 5bgQivyHJcSWTgvLfVW87Zj23M7mcFCVBF
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3346
Merit: 4505

View Profile
July 01, 2013, 11:56:47 PM

Or did I get something wrong here?

Yes, you did.

The results of generating the same address or the same private key are exactly the same.  In either case you can spend any bitcoins that exist in an unspent output that requires a signature from a valid private key.
threeip

Activity: 154

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2013, 12:11:49 AM

a) what happens if the same address (public key) gets created
b) what happens if the same private key gets created

The pub is derived from the priv, so if you had the pub you would also have the priv.

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ GPG:2AFD99BB ಠ_ಠ mon
elements

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 12:12:27 AM

In other words if Alice has a wallet that contains the address xyz and Bob has a wallet that contains the same address xyz
both have the same private key?

(And thus all individual addresses of Alice and Bob can be signed with their own or the other one's private key?)

»A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof was to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.« - Douglas Adams
Tips & donations: BTC : 1MAQYNLp2VJ9wWhPYg5BnrbUGzdhGXopZw | CGB: 5bgQivyHJcSWTgvLfVW87Zj23M7mcFCVBF
elements

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 12:13:41 AM

ok, so having the same adress means actually the same private key.

That makes sense.

Thank you!

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: