Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 08:13:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: POST FORMAT: YYYY-MM-DD SITE - HEADLINE  (Read 93461 times)
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 01:47:48 PM

Making this thread sticky didn't achieve the intended result.

Making kiba a moderator (for a while) didn't achieve the intended result.

Maybe an SMF mod that rejects new threads whose title does not match the format?
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4004
Merit: 1299

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 07:53:46 PM

Maybe an SMF mod that rejects new threads whose title does not match the format?

Even when people know the format they don't care.
giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2014, 10:47:08 PM

does anybody enforce this? can I "report" threads for not (exactly) following the rules? With the most blatant violations I already do but hey, don't want to be the grammar nazi here

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 12:47:36 AM

The last time we tried to get someone to enforce this he was given mod status and  then went nuts and then had it taken away.
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 11:03:35 AM

The last time we tried to get someone to enforce this he was given mod status and  then went nuts and then had it taken away.

I try to keep an eye on this forum, but lately I've been extremely busy and don't have much time. I've seen it is really becoming a mess, but the lack of time... Need to spend a couple days looking at it page by page and fix it. See if I can make it this weekend.
BTCIndia

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

vini, vedi, no vici.

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 11:10:13 AM

I try to keep an eye on this forum, but lately I've been extremely busy and don't have much time. I've seen it is really becoming a mess, but the lack of time... Need to spend a couple days looking at it page by page and fix it. See if I can make it this weekend.

Most of the time, I'm active reading news, making notes and doing research. Is there anything that I can help with Moderation in News section?

He's Nick Sazbo from Washington. I've my answer. Or Hal? :O
eldentyrell
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

felonious vagrancy, personified

View Profile WWW
February 07, 2014, 04:49:30 PM

Admins, please increase the max subject line length for this subforum.

I understand why it is rather short, so people don't spam with it, but it's pretty much impossible to follow the post format with only a few dozen characters.

The printing press heralded the end of the Dark Ages and made the Enlightenment possible, but it took another three centuries before any country managed to put freedom of the press beyond the reach of legislators.  So it may take a while before cryptocurrencies are free of the AML-NSA-KYC surveillance plague.
cr1776
Legendary

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 12:39:54 PM

First it started(? maybe continued) with people ignoring the lack of brackets in the POST FORMAT and making it [POST FORMAT].  Then we got to ignore the "notability" standard.

This week it looks like the "SITE" portion is being completely ignored.  With some even not including the date.

Pretty soon this will just be a clone of the Discussion section.

giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2014, 07:37:42 PM
Last edit: August 30, 2014, 04:06:12 AM by giszmo

First it started(? maybe continued) with people ignoring the lack of brackets in the POST FORMAT and making it [POST FORMAT].  Then we got to ignore the "notability" standard.

This week it looks like the "SITE" portion is being completely ignored.  With some even not including the date.

Either somebody cleaned up or it's not that bad after all.

Just have more mods with clear missions. If you have some new dude nobody knows and he promises to delete all threads on the main page that don't honor the rules, you can easily check if he's doing his work correctly and people will respect the rules quickly, too. No need to be picky about nominating a rule-enforcer mod.

Edit: ok if all include a common date format, omitting the brackets, maybe we should change the rule? title length limitation is most likely a common reason for using omiting stuff.

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
cr1776
Legendary

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 09:35:05 PM

First it started(? maybe continued) with people ignoring the lack of brackets in the POST FORMAT and making it [POST FORMAT].  Then we got to ignore the "notability" standard.

This week it looks like the "SITE" portion is being completely ignored.  With some even not including the date.

Either somebody cleaned up or it's not that bad after all. Just have more mods with clear missions. If you have some new dude nobody knows and he promises to delete all threads on the main page that don't honor the rules, you can easily check if he's doing his work correctly and people will respect the rules quickly, too. No need to be picky about nominating a rule-enforcer mod.

I did just look and all the posts date dates included brackets and all but one or two had no site portion, just the headline. :-)

It just seems silly to have rules that are ignored.

EFS
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 2067

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile
September 08, 2014, 03:40:02 PM

I'd like to see Press board more useful. We should be able to check press news sort by date.
When I sort by subject I see older threads post format is YYYY-MM-DD, but after late 2013 it turned to [YYYY-MM-DD]. Should people use this format now?
There are also 5 pages long threads with no date. I don't want to spam reports for obvious subject differences, but we should do something about it.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
cr1776
Legendary

View Profile
September 14, 2014, 01:37:09 PM

I'd like to see Press board more useful. We should be able to check press news sort by date.
When I sort by subject I see older threads post format is YYYY-MM-DD, but after late 2013 it turned to [YYYY-MM-DD]. Should people use this format now?
There are also 5 pages long threads with no date. I don't want to spam reports for obvious subject differences, but we should do something about it.

People just stopped reading the format and no one seems to be moderating the section so for the past 18 months it has been pretty much anything goes. Likewise, many of the links are not "notable" but just spammy links to non-notable sites that are reprinting other people's news.

This section at one point was useful, but now you have 5-10 copies of the same article, just repackaged on different sites and so it is not super-useful to actually find new information.  It is useful if you want to send traffic to your web site.  ;-)
EFS
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 2067

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile
October 15, 2014, 01:51:02 PM

Again, I propose to change OP from POST FORMAT: YYYY-MM-DD SITE - HEADLINE to POST FORMAT: [YYYY-MM-DD] SITE - HEADLINE.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
cr1776
Legendary

View Profile
October 28, 2014, 11:16:21 AM

Again, I propose to change OP from POST FORMAT: YYYY-MM-DD SITE - HEADLINE to POST FORMAT: [YYYY-MM-DD] SITE - HEADLINE.

OR people just follow the format already established. Easier and backwards compatible.

Likewise many of these articles are not "notable".
qwk
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3542
Merit: 3411

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
November 03, 2014, 01:36:38 PM
Merited by BitcoinArsenal (1)

Just an idea:
why don't we just skip the whole "YYYY-MM-DD" part in subjects and just write a small SMF mod that puts TODAY() in said format in the subject line automatically.
Obviously, that would lead to "off-date" news, when you post yesterday's news article today, but it'd still be an improvement.
Also, maybe the mod should also replace existing "YYYY-MM-DD" strings at the beginning of a subject line, or else we'd have duplicates Wink

Yeah, well, I'm gonna go build my own blockchain. With blackjack and hookers! In fact forget the blockchain.
gladiusnl

Activity: 223
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 05, 2018, 05:46:14 PM

I think the post format should be YYYY.MM.DD SITE - Headline

For example:
 [2018.03.05] Bill Gates: I Don't Think Bitcoin's Anonymity is a Good Thing

It's way better!
cr1776
Legendary

View Profile
March 18, 2018, 02:48:35 PM

I think the post format should be YYYY.MM.DD SITE - Headline

For example:
 [2018.03.05] Bill Gates: I Don't Think Bitcoin's Anonymity is a Good Thing

It's way better!

Almost no one follows the format anyway as it is, adding in the [ ]s, so I doubt anyone will follow a new format.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: