Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 12:47:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 139 Days worth of Syncing.  (Read 569 times)
meretov (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 10:49:30 PM

Hi folks!

So basically, my bitcoin client is 139 days out of date. (That is, the last block it received is 139 days old).

How long will it take to resync?

Is there a faster way to go about this?

Thank you,

- M

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mprep
Global Moderator
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 2607

In a world of peaches, don't ask for apple sauce

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2013, 11:03:00 PM

All I can say is good luck  Grin

COINPRADER

Activity: 150
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 11:14:19 PM

It depends upon your DL speed - mine took about 5 days to totally sync.  Prob did not help that I was downloading other items at the time Wink

Add some science to your mining!  GRIDCOIN
YacLives

Activity: 56

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2013, 11:17:09 PM

It shoudnt take too long i think it depends on how fast the seeding nodes are going but all i can say is hang in there
unless someone wants to upload the blockchain somewhere for you but i would just wait
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 11:22:01 PM

Hi folks!

So basically, my bitcoin client is 139 days out of date. (That is, the last block it received is 139 days old).

Thank you,

- M
Few months ago it took me ~15 hours to catch up on an old, slow laptop. Don't get discouraged - once you are up-to-date, just set the client to start with the system, so you will always be ready to use it immediately when needed.
I am assuming you are using the latest version, and have enabled incoming connections. How many connections does your client show?

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
AlphaC

Activity: 28

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2013, 12:15:05 AM

Did you try increasing maxconnections?
meretov (OP)

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 01:13:02 AM

Hey folks, thanks for the replies!

I don't mind waiting for it so much, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't going to take 100+ days for it to update.

I have a couple more questions.

I'm using Bitcoin-QT, and I've got pay incoming, when it updates will it be in there or is it lost forever?

Also, someone mentioned max connections; how do I change that?
YacLives

Activity: 56

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2013, 01:31:14 AM

I don't mind waiting for it so much, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't going to take 100+ days for it to update.

I'm using Bitcoin-QT, and I've got pay incoming, when it updates will it be in there or is it lost forever?

If the transaction is legit then it will be there when you have the whole blockchain

and you can edit your bitcoin.conf file by adding maxconnections=theamountofyouwant
Bitcoin Merchant

Activity: 28

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 02:34:50 AM

All you gotta do is update BitcoinQT
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 05:14:24 AM

Bitcoin transactions are broadcast publicly, and stored in copies of public ledger ("blockchain") maintained by clients such as yours all over the world. Even if your client is not running, or not up-to-date, you (or anyone else) can check if coins have been sent to a particular address, and how many.  Try blockexplorer.com or blockchain.info.

The only immediate reason you might need a client which is up-to-date is if you want to spend coins that belong to you. One of less immediate reasons to have the client running is that it helps the network by verifying and relaying new transactions.

You don't need to worry about increasing maxconnections count. Default values are just fine, and after a few days will typically lead to a stable number of 20-50 peers connected, assuming your router/firewall has been set up to allow incoming connections on port 8333 to your computer. This can be easily set up from the client if your router is uPnP compliant, or you can manually configure the router to forward port 8333 to your PC. If incoming connections are blocked your client will be limited to eight connected peers.

Let us know how syncing is progressing!

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
ranlo
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 05:17:06 AM

Hi folks!

Thank you,

- M

All depends on your Internet/PC speed. For me to go from unsynced to synced on a fresh Litecoin client took me almost 20 hours, lol.

https://nanogames.io/i-bctalk-n/
Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
cp1

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 05:19:54 AM

It'll just take a few hours.  Your bitcoin client doesn't actually receive the bitcoins you were sent, so there's no risk of them being lost.

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
meretov (OP)

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 06:36:35 AM

Bitcoin transactions are broadcast publicly, and stored in copies of public ledger ("blockchain") maintained by clients such as yours all over the world. Even if your client is not running, or not up-to-date, you (or anyone else) can check if coins have been sent to a particular address, and how many.  Try blockexplorer.com or blockchain.info.

The only immediate reason you might need a client which is up-to-date is if you want to spend coins that belong to you. One of less immediate reasons to have the client running is that it helps the network by verifying and relaying new transactions.

You don't need to worry about increasing maxconnections count. Default values are just fine, and after a few days will typically lead to a stable number of 20-50 peers connected, assuming your router/firewall has been set up to allow incoming connections on port 8333 to your computer. This can be easily set up from the client if your router is uPnP compliant, or you can manually configure the router to forward port 8333 to your PC. If incoming connections are blocked your client will be limited to eight connected peers.

Let us know how syncing is progressing!
Fantastic! Thank you all for your help!
I'm currently sitting at 91.06% on day 126.

I imagine it'll take some time, but I was able to track my incoming transaction, and it's all good!
Thanks folks!
Ex0deus

Activity: 43

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2013, 06:46:40 AM

Electrum is teh way to go imho...
Syncing to an electrum server is so much faster...
and no need to worry about stoping bitcoind because it will get out of sync
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: