Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 12:14:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin addon: Distributed block chain storage  (Read 3335 times)
lucif (OP)

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

Clown prophet

View Profile
June 30, 2013, 10:02:31 AM

Cross post

2. Your 'ultimate storage' grows with more users, but so does the amount of spam produced. It would solve nothing. I like many others would still prefer to store the entire chain.
You answered this by own in 4. 1000s HDD are anyway better than one.

4. Pruning, would remove all spent transactions that are 2(?) transactions back since they wouldnt be needed, dramatically reducing the size of the blockchain. At which point your solution is entirely moot since anyone could store whats left of it without issue.
This is good solution, but this breaks chain integrity. And who said spent outputs will not be needed by anyone?

5. Storage devices are getting cheaper and larger every day and so is memory. im sure if it were needed at some point in the future someone could build a custom board with a crazy amount of memory on it to store the UTXO set. With the speed memory runs at im sure someone could make a slower, cheaper, larger ramdisks for this purpose.

Everybody blindly repeat this following satoshi. But satoshi said this regarding storage space capacity. HDD also have one more very important property which nobody takes into account: IO capacity. Soon, bitcoind will run out of IO capacity of spinning HDD, and later, solid state drives.

I don't propose to discard whole local chain. I propose don't dig it without need on local side.

I know at least one use case where my solution will bring performance benefits.

I know that DHT storage just moves load from disk IO to network IO. But just realize, we have a new block with thousands transactions.

With regular client, EACH NETWORK NODE will have to dig into own local chain and do a key lookup there for each transaction. Thousands or millions of nodes will have to do same hard IO work on each new block.

With regular client + DHT enabled - only few will do this. They will cache lookup results into local DHT cache and answer to others from there. So in this case, only few nodes will perform local chain lookup. Lookup results will distribute along network in mostly cached answers.

As bonus, there will be google-large peta-scale storage for all chain with its glory.a
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
pent

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 30, 2013, 10:14:21 AM

DHT probably will let us go by google way.

Google always planned to never put major load on single node (as bitcoind doing now). This sounds like "Stay away from single expensive main frames. No one of them will never handle load of our tasks. Use many cheap and distributed nodes.". This how BigTable born. In other way, they would stuck in bottlenecks.
pent

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 30, 2013, 10:23:54 AM

The main point of DHT implementation is to let run client with full chain even on cheap computers.

As long as you put major load on single node, the hardware requirements for that node grow along with chain. This may bring a situation when only jet set can run full chain. All others will have to blindly beleive to their chain.

This is centralization IMO.
bluemeanie1

Activity: 280
Merit: 257

bluemeanie

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2013, 07:27:35 PM

The main point of DHT implementation is to let run client with full chain even on cheap computers.

As long as you put major load on single node, the hardware requirements for that node grow along with chain. This may bring a situation when only jet set can run full chain. All others will have to blindly beleive to their chain.

This is centralization IMO.

that's inevitable.  The block chain is currently > 8 GB.  I think things are going to move to an architecture where there a limited set of nodes in the network manage the currency, and most account owners are light clients of some kind.  It's simply not practical to have everyone have a block chain.  These distributed currencies are just getting started and Bitcoin is already unmanageable.

My vision is 1) no more proof of work 2) distributed rather than decentralized currencies.  This offers a lot of advantages.

Just who IS bluemeanie?    On NXTautoDAC and a Million Stolen NXT

feel like your voice isn't being heard? PM me.   |   stole 1M NXT?
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
July 01, 2013, 05:19:34 AM

The problem is basically how to optimize the Distributed Hash Table algorithm for block storage.
Already solved by the Freenet project:

https://freenetproject.org

excuse me?

maybe contact xelister and/or da2ce7. They have been working on "bitcoin over freenet" 2 years ago.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
gmaxwell
Legendary
expert

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8382

View Profile WWW
July 01, 2013, 05:33:25 AM

I think things are going to move to an architecture where there a limited set of nodes in the network manage the currency, and most account owners are light clients of some kind.
If you want this then the Bitcoin block-chain and protocol is the wrong design to achieve it. Services like visa paypal are far better designed for serving many transactions from small clusters. More secure too— once you must trust a limited set of nodes to not cheat then protocols which cannot be compromised unless they do offer a better security model.
bluemeanie1

Activity: 280
Merit: 257

bluemeanie

View Profile WWW
July 01, 2013, 08:11:23 AM

I think things are going to move to an architecture where there a limited set of nodes in the network manage the currency, and most account owners are light clients of some kind.
If you want this then the Bitcoin block-chain and protocol is the wrong design to achieve it. Services like visa paypal are far better designed for serving many transactions from small clusters. More secure too— once you must trust a limited set of nodes to not cheat then protocols which cannot be compromised unless they do offer a better security model.

A fairly pointless comment.

Visa doesn't have any nodes.  You can participate in the authorization process in a Visa transaction?

Just who IS bluemeanie?    On NXTautoDAC and a Million Stolen NXT

feel like your voice isn't being heard? PM me.   |   stole 1M NXT?
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: