Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 06:30:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: bitcoin atm power outage during deposit  (Read 98 times)
bitcoinsc (OP)

Activity: 439
Merit: 1

View Profile
April 14, 2018, 09:01:03 AM

i had a problem using an atm today. i was deposit usd into a coinsource atm and it suddenly powered down. i dont think it is the store owner that did it. i think the atm had a power surge or something and shut down. i had to call the number and everything was taken care of.

some of the atm are not that reliable. some other atms that i went to sometimes doesnt even work from the beginning and on most nights its working.

Ethereum and Uniswap.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 6120

View Profile
April 17, 2018, 08:57:41 AM

I actually had a similar problem using Bitaccess ATMs. It didn't shutdown but It didn't give me any cash. I emailed them and everything was sorted out in less then 24 hours.

Hopefully, their products improve in the future because as more ATMs are being installed and more people are getting to know bitcoin, the response time may become slower in the future and taht could be problematic.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
MrBitco.in

Activity: 38
Merit: 1

View Profile
April 17, 2018, 06:35:07 PM

GENERAL BYTES ATMs will auto-complete the transaction for you when purchasing crypto. Should the power outage be only temporarily, you will be able to resume the transaction once power is back on by scanning the same address on the ATM. Your balance will still be there and you can decide to continue the transaction or finish the transaction using the FINISHED button. In case the power outage takes longer than X amount of time, the transaction will auto-complete and send you the coins you purchased so-far. It's those small features that make it easier for an operator to maintain a network of GENERAL BYTES ATMs as this lowers the amount of customer support calls. Smiley
Simon Eaton

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 17, 2018, 06:42:30 PM

I think we will see more of these types of infrastructural problems in future but I suppose they are inevitable. There is no correct way to do things in this space, standards are still being sussed out I think. Teething problems thats all. Not that it makes it any better for you, I hope you didn't loose any crypto
cryptorTUX

Activity: 238
Merit: 11

View Profile
April 17, 2018, 06:49:49 PM

i had a problem using an atm today. i was deposit usd into a coinsource atm and it suddenly powered down. i dont think it is the store owner that did it. i think the atm had a power surge or something and shut down. i had to call the number and everything was taken care of.

some of the atm are not that reliable. some other atms that i went to sometimes doesnt even work from the beginning and on most nights its working.

I don't get it why do people like buying via ATMs, I see that people make them like they are of hge importance when in my opinion they aren't. I've even seen ATMs asking a lot of information about you before they even let you buy crypto (which is mainly bitcoin of course). Secondly, why I hate them is that their prices are a bit higher, since they are usually connected to a 3rd party exchange and take fees for their service, by doing this you have to pa higher price to buy and also you sell at lower rates. Thus it doesn't benefit you in the long run.
Fazlurkhan.kz

Activity: 266
Merit: 114

View Profile
April 17, 2018, 07:10:50 PM

You are lucky that you at least have Bitcoin ATMs. There are numerous countries like mine, INDIA, which do not provide such facilities. Use bitcoins ATM just for bitcoins and keep the fiat away. If you would have lost your funds then that would have been a real problem. But for now, cryptocurrencies are in the developing phase. Give them time, the services might definitely get improved.
JanpriX

Activity: 1708
Merit: 606

Buy The F*cking Dip

View Profile
April 17, 2018, 07:16:17 PM

Every BTC atm around the world should provide service like the one that you encountered when it comes to power outage or other similar incidents. They should have customer support service available for 24 hours in the event that people encountered any problem while using their ATMs. Providing support right away will certainly invite more people to use BTC ATMs and will provide them peace of mind.

I haven't had any experience on that regards but its a good thing that they sorted it out right away.
bL4nkcode
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1305

Limited in number. Limitless in potential.

View Profile
April 17, 2018, 07:43:47 PM

I don't get it why do people like buying via ATMs, I see that people make them like they are of hge importance when in my opinion they aren't. I've even seen ATMs asking a lot of information about you before they even let you buy crypto (which is mainly bitcoin of course). Secondly, why I hate them is that their prices are a bit higher, since they are usually connected to a 3rd party exchange and take fees for their service, by doing this you have to pa higher price to buy and also you sell at lower rates. Thus it doesn't benefit you in the long run.
Well, most you've said was actually true but if OP doesn't have any options other than buying using ATM in their place so why not use it. Only a few numbers of people using this means because there are only a few of them but still hoping that they get multiplied soon. And I will not argue about the high fees they take when buying and selling using this service, still, recommend to use an exchange to buy BTC then move it some debit card services where it will be converted to cash
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: