Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 02:03:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why is BTC not used in Games?  (Read 5948 times)
Itcher (OP)

Activity: 364
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 01, 2013, 03:41:07 PM

... and I don't mean dice, poker, roulette and all this stuff in which BTC is used a lot. I mean real games. At least in Germany it's legal to play online for money, when not luck but skill decides wheter you win or loose ... So, BTC could be the universal curency for the Gamer-Universe, and I think it would be extremely cool to transfer the money you found in World of Warcraft to some other Online-Role-Game - also the providers could earn via provision - so: why is this not?
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BombaUcigasa
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 01, 2013, 09:14:21 PM

Probably because not many massive games have started being developed during the last 4 years since Bitcoin, such that the developers can sustain costs with this income.
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
July 01, 2013, 10:34:30 PM

Probably because not many massive games have started being developed during the last 4 years since Bitcoin, such that the developers can sustain costs with this income.
But this could be done right now, in many cases.

For example, take COD Black Ops Zombie, original Kino.

0.25BTC to play, four players, last one standing wins the pot.

Yes, I know you meant built into the point system of the game, but there are other ways.
xxjs

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 01, 2013, 10:41:34 PM

The same reason every government prefers to have their own sort of money, to profit from it.
Itcher (OP)

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 08:40:25 AM

No massive games? I am not in the gamer-scene, but as I heard, there has been a mass of online-multiplayer games, don't know the names, but I think this industry had made big steps the last years ...

The same reason every government prefers to have their own sort of money, to profit from it.

But do developers have any profit from the currency inside their game? I don't think so. With BTC they could.

As I thouught about it, my idea was, that you pay say 1$ for entrance, and you get 90 % of it in Satoshis - a lot of money to play. And you can transfere it to other games, little ones for smartphones, big ones for Wow, Starcraft, etc.

What do you think this will do to the BTC economy?
xxjs

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 10:53:46 AM

No massive games? I am not in the gamer-scene, but as I heard, there has been a mass of online-multiplayer games, don't know the names, but I think this industry had made big steps the last years ...

But do developers have any profit from the currency inside their game? I don't think so. With BTC they could.

As I thouught about it, my idea was, that you pay say 1$ for entrance, and you get 90 % of it in Satoshis - a lot of money to play. And you can transfere it to other games, little ones for smartphones, big ones for Wow, Starcraft, etc.

What do you think this will do to the BTC economy?

Depends, but if the coins they create are somehow linked to the real world, they will at least have a cheap loan, and if the in-game economy tanks, they can walk away without paying back. Same as gift cards, it is a form of money representing a loan to the company, and some gift cards are never redeemed.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2013, 05:11:27 PM

They already have that sort of thing, it's called micro-transactions, they're also a fantastic way to completely ruin and butcher a game, I've seen many great game ideas completely ruined for this type of system.
Itcher (OP)

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 07:13:40 PM

They already have that sort of thing, it's called micro-transactions, they're also a fantastic way to completely ruin and butcher a game, I've seen many great game ideas completely ruined for this type of system.

Ruined by powergamers? I also thought about this. But is this not prevendible? Maybe the developers make a limit to import?
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2013, 08:00:38 PM

There's no need for it at all, if the developers are really that desperate for it then they should make separate versions, one with micro-transactions one without but I remember people getting into arguments with me about this saying that if they did that then no one would play the free version and that's because micro-transactions suck Smiley. The thing is, when it comes to these things what you're essentially paying for is cheats this is why you don't see games developers putting them in anymore like they used to, they'd much rather you pay tons of money for them and now they've even had the balls to make you pay for tiny bits of content that would otherwise have ended up in a big expansion pack.

The only time I think you could truly get away with micro-transactions and such is if you were running something like Second Life to cover the costs of having stuff uploaded and things like that but there really has to be better way of doing this sort of thing.
superresistant
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1120

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 10:30:03 AM

... I think it would be extremely cool to transfer the money you found in World of Warcraft to some other Online-Role-Game - also the providers could earn via provision - so: why is this not?

You can do it since 2002 with d2jsp.org

I used to exchange my money between many mmorpg and make profit.
joris

Activity: 141

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 10:44:37 AM

It is being developed atm: http://polimedia.us/trilema/2013/statements-regarding-the-mmorpg-under-development-i-v/

;-)
Pokerfan

Activity: 130

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 10:51:42 AM

Most games prefer to have the monopoly on money creation. They cannot create bitcoin!
Itcher (OP)

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 10:56:47 AM

The thing is, when it comes to these things what you're essentially paying for is cheats this is why you don't see games developers putting them in anymore like they used to, they'd much rather you pay tons of money for them and now they've even had the balls to make you pay for tiny bits of content that would otherwise have ended up in a big expansion pack.

Come on, it must be not too difficult to prevent cheating. How about making an import-limit?
Great thing! I hope ...
e521

Activity: 196

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 11:03:45 AM

... and I don't mean dice, poker, roulette and all this stuff in which BTC is used a lot. I mean real games. At least in Germany it's legal to play online for money, when not luck but skill decides wheter you win or loose ... So, BTC could be the universal curency for the Gamer-Universe, and I think it would be extremely cool to transfer the money you found in World of Warcraft to some other Online-Role-Game - also the providers could earn via provision - so: why is this not?

MMORPGs will not open an "escape" like transfer money to another MMORPG, that's the whole point of MMORPGs, isn't it?
They want to lock you in every possible way and I am sure some people keep playing/paying because they don't want to lose their PGs/STATs

http://www.wikihow.com/Overcome-an-MMORPG-Addiction

Viceroy

Activity: 924
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 11:05:58 AM

OP you are genius.  Great freakin idea.

* Viceroy envisions wielding a very big sword bought and paid for with his video card
Pumpkin

Activity: 151

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 11:08:39 AM

MMORPGs will not open an "escape" like transfer money to another MMORPG, that's the whole point of MMORPGs, isn't it?
They want to lock you in every possible way and I am sure some people keep playing/paying because they don't want to lose their PGs/STATs

This is a great point! We need to understand the reality: MMORPGs are just traps for their players. They cannot allow you to cash out your money!
Itcher (OP)

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 11:31:09 AM

sarcasm? I don't know if those ideas existed long before, iam new here and had a little look inside the gumbling-section - did not find anything ... I think, making btc the game-currency would be a big step, and it would be more than making btc a real-world-payment-system like all this other payment systems. I asked my girlfriend yesterday, if she would be interested in paying with btc, and she said: why? It's already to easy to waste money via online-shopping. But if the btc gives you access to a world of gaming - yea!

This is a great point! We need to understand the reality: MMORPGs are just traps for their players. They cannot allow you to cash out your money!

MMORPGs - what does this mean? Does anybody really pay for in-game-money they could not export? Isn't it a scam factually?

Viceroy

Activity: 924
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 11:51:42 AM

NO I am not being sarcastic.
e521

Activity: 196

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 12:08:40 PM

sarcasm? I don't know if those ideas existed long before, iam new here and had a little look inside the gumbling-section - did not find anything ... I think, making btc the game-currency would be a big step, and it would be more than making btc a real-world-payment-system like all this other payment systems. I asked my girlfriend yesterday, if she would be interested in paying with btc, and she said: why? It's already to easy to waste money via online-shopping. But if the btc gives you access to a world of gaming - yea!

MMORPGs - what does this mean? Does anybody really pay for in-game-money they could not export? Isn't it a scam factually?

Search on Google for MMORPG and MMO in general, best example in my opinion is World of Warcraft.
Yes, people buy virtual money to use for their favorite MMORPG, I mean, why not?
Instead of farming gold/items and spend hours of hours searching for something I can drop with 0.1% probability, I can just buy gold and then buy it from somebody else. It's absolutely NOT a scam.

If they create a MMORPG where you can use satoshis, well, that's a different story!
Something like TF2 would work very well if players already hold satoshis

superresistant
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1120

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 01:37:43 PM

... I think it would be extremely cool to transfer the money you found in World of Warcraft to some other Online-Role-Game - also the providers could earn via provision - so: why is this not?

You can do it since 2002 with d2jsp.org

I used to exchange my money between many mmorpg and make profit.

Maybe I was not clear enough with d2jsp.org :

1 - You sell your virtual money or any service from the game (ex: WoW) for forum gold (FG)
2 - You exchange your FG for an other virtual money in a different game (ex: diablo III)

You just transferred money from WoW to Diablo III.

The most traded games are : diablo 2-3, runescape, WoW, path of exile, guild wars 1-2, LoL, realm of the mad god, ...
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: