Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 03:58:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013-07-01 WSJ - Winklevoss Twins File to Launch Bitcoin Exchange-Traded Product  (Read 5021 times)
CurbsideProphet

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 02:59:28 AM

Watching this. Looks interesting.

Smoothie, wanna start a Litecoin ETP now?  Grin

The interesting thing is the filing keeps referring to their holdings as "math-based assets."  I'm wondering if this leaves room for alt currencies.

1ProphetnvP8ju2SxxRvVvyzCtTXDgLPJV

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4340
Merit: 3041

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 03:35:47 AM

The interesting thing is the filing keeps referring to their holdings as "math-based assets."  I'm wondering if this leaves room for alt currencies.
Actually, the filing never refers to their holdings as just "math-based assets", it specifically refers to their holdings as "Bitcoins", defined as "a type of a Digital Math-Based Asset". The filing does refer to altcoins as examples of alternative Digital Math-Based Assets and Bitcoin's competion, though the Trust does not deal in anything other than bitcoins specifically.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 04:01:13 AM

Actually, the filing never refers to their holdings as just "math-based assets", it specifically refers to their holdings as "Bitcoins", defined as "a type of a Digital Math-Based Asset". The filing does refer to altcoins as examples of alternative Digital Math-Based Assets and Bitcoin's competion, though the Trust does not deal in anything other than bitcoins specifically.

Exactly.  Even if there was demand for a ETF for an alternative CC it wouldn't make sense for a single ETF and single trust to handle both.  I mean there are Physical Gold ETFs and Physical Silver ETFs but you don't see mixed Silver & Gold ETFs.  Ticker symbols are cheap and there are thousands of ETFs.  If the first one gets approved and there is demand no reason you couldn't have a whole family of CC based ETFs.
kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2013, 05:03:33 AM

What will be the smallest number of shares one can buy?

1? Or 100?  More?

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
Seal
Donator

Activity: 848
Merit: 1078

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2013, 05:13:05 AM

I'd like to know their model for trading the underlying asset. Where will the balance be held and who by? The Winkelvii?

I hope they do it right. The last thing we need is a crash caused by a bucket shop operation.

DefiDive - Filter the noise
A clean crypto asset management terminal
vokain (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2013, 05:38:48 AM

I'd like to know their model for trading the underlying asset. Where will the balance be held and who by? The Winkelvii?

I hope they do it right. The last thing we need is a crash caused by a bucket shop operation.

Apparently they're hiding the private key for the underlying asset in a US bank vault.
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 09:16:49 AM
Last edit: July 02, 2013, 02:43:22 PM by rpietila

Exactly.  Even if there was demand for a ETF for an alternative CC it wouldn't make sense for a single ETF and single trust to handle both.  I mean there are Physical Gold ETFs and Physical Silver ETFs but you don't see mixed Silver & Gold ETFs.  Ticker symbols are cheap and there are thousands of ETFs.  If the first one gets approved and there is demand no reason you couldn't have a whole family of CC based ETFs.

There is the Central Fund of Canada. It is not actually ETF iirc though, but a company whose idea is to act as ETF before they existed.

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
willphase

Activity: 767

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 09:20:55 AM

the winkelvii aren't trading bitcoin here, they are just offering shares in their company that holds bitcoin.

If they have 1% of all bitcoins, that's 100,000 BTC which is approximately 100M USD - so this is the valuation of their 'company'.  They are offering stock in approximately 20M USD and so you will own part of the company whose valuation will float on the price of bitcoin.  They will keep 80% of the company and sell stock up to 20%.

There is nothing new in what they are doing here - just offering stock in a company.  All the winkelvii are doing is spreading their risk - they aren't selling bitcoins or trading bitcoins from fiat.  This doesn't seem that much of a big deal to me other than the media attention this will garner.

Will

Foxpup
Legendary

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 11:19:39 AM

the winkelvii aren't trading bitcoin here, they are just offering shares in their company that holds bitcoin.

If they have 1% of all bitcoins, that's 100,000 BTC which is approximately 100M USD - so this is the valuation of their 'company'.  They are offering stock in approximately 20M USD and so you will own part of the company whose valuation will float on the price of bitcoin.  They will keep 80% of the company and sell stock up to 20%.

There is nothing new in what they are doing here - just offering stock in a company.  All the winkelvii are doing is spreading their risk - they aren't selling bitcoins or trading bitcoins from fiat.  This doesn't seem that much of a big deal to me other than the media attention this will garner.

Will
No, that's not what they're doing at all. It is not a company and in no way resembles a company. It is a trust that holds bitcoins and issues shares that represent a claim of ownership on those bitcoins and can be redeemed for those bitcoins by any trustor at any time (conversely, the trust will "buy" bitcoins from trustors by issuing new shares in exchange). The basic idea is that investors will buy the shares from the trustors and then trade them on a public exchange such as NASDAQ, but no bitcoins will actually change hands until the shares are redeemed or new shares are issued (which will happen due to arbitrage if the share price deviates too far from the price of actual bitcoins). This is pretty much exactly the same way commodity ETFs are issued and traded.

EDIT: Typo

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
J.Jade

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 11:24:08 AM

I never understood what's the advantage of buying shares in a trust over buying the underlying commodity itself.

Well i'm just a private individual not a VC though.
kiko

Activity: 453
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 11:31:38 AM

Some twitter snark picked up from the comments at Hacker News:
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=5973971

Favorite snarky tweets in my feed...

"Bitcoin ETF" is an anagram of "Fiction Bet" which seems pretty apt.. https://twitter.com/LorcanRK/status/351840221773578241
Bitcoin ETF ticker ideas: $DCHE $LOSS $ZERO $SCAM (via @jamesvonsimson - his idea: $SCKR) https://twitter.com/finansakrobat/status/351837836724551682
Well, at least the Winkelvii Bitcoin trust is consistent with their practice of being parasitic on new innovation… https://twitter.com/EpicureanDeal/status/351834917593817088
The Winkelvoss Bitcoin ETF is the first of many wonderful deals brought to you by the JOBS Act (Just Open Bucket Shops). https://twitter.com/ReformedBroker/status/351830441646489601
Imagine the call "if you got burned on the Facebook IPO, why don't you take the Winklevoss Bitcoin Trust for a spin?" https://twitter.com/BarbarianCap/status/351825104147189760
Foxpup
Legendary

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 11:43:50 AM

I never understood what's the advantage of buying shares in a trust over buying the underlying commodity itself.

I'm also just a private individual. That's why I don't have a massive, impenetrable vault in my basement for storing my gold, instead I just buy gold ETFs. Similarly, although I have the technical experience to safely store my bitcoins, most people do not. These people will certainly not buy actual bitcoins, but they may be willing to invest in a bitcoin ETF where they don't have to worry about that. That's the advantage.

btceic

Activity: 392

♫ A wave came crashing like a fist to the jaw ♫

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2013, 11:48:33 AM

This story is spreading, now on bloomberg tv headlines.

♫ This situation, which side are you on? Are you getting out? Are you dropping bombs? Have you heard of diplomatic resolve? ♫ How To Run A Cheap Full Bitcoin Node For $19 A Year ♫ If I knew where it was, I would take you there. There’s much more than this. ♫ Track Your Bitcoins Value
J.Jade

Activity: 12

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 12:10:27 PM

I'm also just a private individual. That's why I don't have a massive, impenetrable vault in my basement for storing my gold, instead I just buy gold ETFs. Similarly, although I have the technical experience to safely store my bitcoins, most people do not. These people will certainly not buy actual bitcoins, but they may be willing to invest in a bitcoin ETF where they don't have to worry about that. That's the advantage.

However this advantage comes with the added risk of not directly controlling the commodity and having to trust the ETF entity so I doubt it is a true advantage.
Neither gold or bitcoins need much storage space. And in case you own considerable amounts you can also afford extra security.
Rygon

Activity: 520

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 12:44:19 PM

I didn't read the filing, but I hope they publish the public key where the holdings will be stored. Instant audit.
P_Shep
Legendary

Activity: 1795
Merit: 1198

This is not OK.

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 12:45:39 PM

This story is spreading, now on bloomberg tv headlines.

More importantly, those teeth look ridiculous.
willphase

Activity: 767

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 01:55:30 PM

If they have 1% of all bitcoins, that's 100,000 BTC which is approximately 100M USD - so this is the valuation of their 'company'.  They are offering stock in approximately 20M USD and so you will own part of the company whose valuation will float on the price of bitcoin.  They will keep 80% of the company and sell stock up to 20%.

There is nothing new in what they are doing here - just offering stock in a company.  All the winkelvii are doing is spreading their risk - they aren't selling bitcoins or trading bitcoins from fiat.  This doesn't seem that much of a big deal to me other than the media attention this will garner.

Will
No, that's not what they're doing at all. It is not a company and in no way resembles a company. It is a trust that holds bitcoins and issues shares that represent a claim of ownership on those bitcoins and can be redeemed for those bitcoins by any trustor at any time

Thanks for the info. I stand corrected.

Will

bitster

Activity: 53

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 06:17:36 PM

There is a poll today on yahoo finance about this most of the choices as well as the votes are negative tho.  Angry
btceic

Activity: 392

♫ A wave came crashing like a fist to the jaw ♫

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2013, 06:20:56 PM

There is a poll today on yahoo finance about this most of the choices as well as the votes are negative tho.  Angry

link? found it

♫ This situation, which side are you on? Are you getting out? Are you dropping bombs? Have you heard of diplomatic resolve? ♫ How To Run A Cheap Full Bitcoin Node For $19 A Year ♫ If I knew where it was, I would take you there. There’s much more than this. ♫ Track Your Bitcoins Value
Scott J
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 06:25:43 PM

There is a poll today on yahoo finance about this most of the choices as well as the votes are negative tho.  Angry

link? found it
link?
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: