Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 04:33:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How can you know which GPUs work as miners?  (Read 1074 times)
rlh (OP)

Activity: 804
Merit: 1004

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 04:51:13 PM

I know this seems like a dumb question but I am a bit confused.  About a month ago, I checked out the Wiki page (here) regarding the comparison of GPU hardware.  I went out, bought me a cheap, but decent card and through it in a computer that I have.

After, installing various drivers and ATI/AMD SDKs, I never could get the thing to work.  Then, I think I realized the problem.  It appears that just because you buy a GPU with one of the listed ATI processors, it doesn't mean that the card is OpenCL compatible.  WTF!

What should I be looking for in a graphics card?  I know that most of the Sapphire brands seem to be guaranteed to work, but what are the specific specs on a card that make in compatible with the OpenCL drivers?

A Personal Quote on BTT from 2011:
"I'd be willing to make a moderate "investment" if the value of the BTC went below $2.00.  Otherwise I'll just have to live with my 5 BTC and be happy. :/"  ...sigh.  If only I knew.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 05:12:49 PM

You must have an error on your end. As much as it doesn't mater if you have an Intel processor in a Dell, Lenovo, Sony or Samsung laptop, the GPU of the same line is always capable of the same instruction set as any other.

Please post in another forum, this one is dedicated to Mining Software(!).

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
dikidera

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 05:13:21 PM

I know this seems like a dumb question but I am a bit confused.  About a month ago, I checked out the Wiki page (here) regarding the comparison of GPU hardware.  I went out, bought me a cheap, but decent card and through it in a computer that I have.

After, installing various drivers and ATI/AMD SDKs, I never could get the thing to work.  Then, I think I realized the problem.  It appears that just because you buy a GPU with one of the listed ATI processors, it doesn't mean that the card is OpenCL compatible.  WTF!

What should I be looking for in a graphics card?  I know that most of the Sapphire brands seem to be guaranteed to work, but what are the specific specs on a card that make in compatible with the OpenCL drivers?
Mind telling us the card you bought?
hawks5999

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2011, 05:35:59 PM

Hmmm... sounds like a dilemma. I think you need a clean slate. Go ahead and send me the card you bought and then start over.

■ ▄▄▄
■ ███
■ ■  ■               
LEDGER  WALLET    ████
■■■ ORDER NOW! ■■■
              LEDGER WALLET
Smartcard security for your BTCitcoins
■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■
Decentralized. Open. Secure.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: