Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:13:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: suggestions on improving the forum  (Read 1712 times)
Akka
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 12:32:57 PM

if you did away with the altcoin section the forum would lose 90% of the people gpu mining

And? Who cares about miners?

Why should it interest me if some people can print magic money with their GPU?

All previous versions of currency will no longer be supported as of this update

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
zackclark70 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

ADT developer

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 12:33:52 PM

altcoins are were all the gpus are going to be ( i have 83 7950s mining altcoins and i make over 3x what i would mining bitcoin  Smiley )

zackclark70 (OP)
Legendary

ADT developer

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 12:35:05 PM

back on topic it doesn't change the fact that the forum needs clearing up

Akka
Legendary

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 12:35:42 PM

altcoins are were all the gpus are going to be ( i have 83 7950s mining altcoins and i make over 3x what i would mining bitcoin  Smiley )

Good for you, but don't come crying when the altcoin bubble deflates and you are stuck with a ton of burned out worthless hardware.

zackclark70 (OP)
Legendary

ADT developer

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 12:40:10 PM

Good for you, but don't come crying when the altcoin bubble deflates and you are stuck with a ton of burned out worthless hardware.

hardware that has nearly paid for itself 2 times over in less than 3 months lol ( just been mining and trading lol )

greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 12:41:26 PM

They're desperate; they can smell their deaths, and the sound they'll make rattling their cages will serve as a warning to the rest.
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2013, 12:42:26 PM

Nobody cares about alt currencies child board. That was the alternative to deleting them, nothing more.

If they're gonna be so big, they should have no problem making their own forum.

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 12:45:20 PM

Making new rules won't help a thing, unless the mods are going to hand-hold every single member on this forum to make sure they're obeying those rules which are supposedly for their own good but if a person doesn't know the difference between a neon-red scammer flag and a trusted member, perhaps it is in their interest to be scammed so they'll be the wiser for it.

People aren't stupid.  They learn what's good and what isn't on their own.  Rules just assume people can't figure out what's good and bad on their own so daddy and mommy moderators have to step in to solve inept member's problems (inept because they're being babied, mind you, e.g. the solution you're presenting to this problem only serves to worsen the issue you're attempting to solve.)  Here, on this forum, we are provided with just enough to help us function on our own, and I suggest you, and anyone else who doesn't like being scammed, learn to use these tools.

As for the rest of your suggestions, there's literally nothing stopping you from doing it on your own.  In fact, I believe we already have a wall of shame thread by TomatoCage.  For a system to report suspected scammers, here's how it's done:

OP Post: "Hey guys I need a 100 BTC loan for my dog Skippy"

2nd Post: "SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM"

3rd Post: "SCCCAAAAAAAAMMMM"

Voila.

Lets say you're chilling in America and there's this brand spankin new law called "The Don't Sell Counterfeit Watches" law.  So you're like "Well all right!  Finally I can walk down the street without being sold a counterfeit watch!"  So you're walking down the street (see: browsing Bitcointalk) and this trenchcoat wearing hobo comes out (see: untrusted newbie), opens his trenchcoat and shows you he has a bunch of really nice Rolexes for sale at a 90% discount.  Well, since there's this brand new law (see: rule) saying that he can't do that, there's obviously no reason for you to act like a reasonable, responsible adult and be cautious with who you're buying watches from, for who needs responsibility when you got big brother making all these wonderful rules, so you buy the watch thinking the hobo doesn't know what a fucking Rolex costs and you can sell it back to some sucker for a huge profit.  Anyway, you buy the obviously legit watch and take it home and about a week later you take it to a pawnshop where they inspect it and tell you, "Yaep, this one's counterfeit."  But thank the lord we had that rule, for who knows just how much worse that situation could've been?  You could've been sold a slice of old cheese for all you know!

zackclark70 (OP)
Legendary

ADT developer

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 12:46:57 PM

Nobody cares about alt currencies child board. That was the alternative to deleting them, nothing more.

If they're gonna be so big, they should have no problem making their own forum.

the problem is that all the info if on this forum all it would take is to move the whole category over to a new forum and for that
i would need bitcoin talk to be on board

I would not mind working with bitcointalk to make altcointalk  

greyhawk

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 12:47:55 PM

You could've been sold a slice of old cheese for all you know!

I've received reports of armed attacks on shipments. There's not enough cheese to go around, and the underclasses are starting to get desperate.

Akka
Legendary

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 12:50:52 PM

I've received reports of armed attacks on shipments. There's not enough cheese to go around, and the underclasses are starting to get desperate.

If the underclass has not enough cheese, they should just eat cake instead.

zackclark70 (OP)
Legendary

ADT developer

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 12:51:33 PM

Making new rules won't help a thing, unless the mods are going to hand-hold every single member on this forum to make sure they're obeying those rules which are supposedly for their own good but if a person doesn't know the difference between a neon-red scammer flag and a trusted member, perhaps it is in their interest to be scammed so they'll be the wiser for it.

People aren't stupid.  They learn what's good and what isn't on their own.  Rules just assume people can't figure out what's good and bad on their own so daddy and mommy moderators have to step in to solve inept member's problems (inept because they're being babied, mind you, e.g. the solution you're presenting to this problem only serves to worsen the issue you're attempting to solve.)  Here, on this forum, we are provided with just enough to help us function on our own, and I suggest you, and anyone else who doesn't like being scammed, learn to use these tools.

As for the rest of your suggestions, there's literally nothing stopping you from doing it on your own.  In fact, I believe we already have a wall of shame thread by TomatoCage.  For a system to report suspected scammers, here's how it's done:

OP Post: "Hey guys I need a 100 BTC loan for my dog Skippy"

2nd Post: "SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM"

3rd Post: "SCCCAAAAAAAAMMMM"

Voila.

Lets say you're chilling in America and there's this brand spankin new law called "The Don't Sell Counterfeit Watches" law.  So you're like "Well all right!  Finally I can walk down the street without being sold a counterfeit watch!"  So you're walking down the street (see: browsing Bitcointalk) and this trenchcoat wearing hobo comes out (see: untrusted newbie), opens his trenchcoat and shows you he has a bunch of really nice Rolexes for sale at a 90% discount.  Well, since there's this brand new law (see: rule) saying that he can't do that, there's obviously no reason for you to act like a reasonable, responsible adult and be cautious with who you're buying watches from, for who needs responsibility when you got big brother making all these wonderful rules, so you buy the watch thinking the hobo doesn't know what a fucking Rolex costs and you can sell it back to some sucker for a huge profit.  Anyway, you buy the obviously legit watch and take it home and about a week later you take it to a pawnshop where they inspect it and tell you, "Yaep, this one's counterfeit."  But thank the lord we had that rule, for who knows just how much worse that situation could've been?  You could've been sold a slice of old cheese for all you know!

with the right rules and with moderators that have the time to sort it out this forum could be 10x beter than it is now

greyhawk

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 12:51:48 PM

If the underclass has not enough cheese, they should just eat cake instead.

Mmm. I hope you're not underestimating the problem. Intelligence suggests they're behind the problems in Paris.

with the right rules and with moderators that have the time to sort it out this forum could be 10x beter than it is now

Again, what you're suggesting is diametrically opposed to the mindset of the majority of forum users. You'll have to build your own treehouse with a "no libertarians/anarchists allowed" sign.
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2013, 03:36:20 PM

The alt-coins forum doesn't need to be nuked. It simply needs aggressive moderation to remove scamcoins.

Might as well just nuke it from orbit.

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 05:14:41 PM

altcoins are were all the gpus are going to be ( i have 83 7950s mining altcoins and i make over 3x what i would mining bitcoin  Smiley )
And this is exactly why Bitcoin will always spit on the current altcoins: Bitcoin is an ideal, whereas altcoins are just what butthurt GPU miners imagined to try to be less butthurt.

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
zackclark70 (OP)
Legendary

ADT developer

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 07:17:25 PM

The alt-coins forum doesn't need to be nuked. It simply needs aggressive moderation to remove scamcoins.

pull some strings ant let me sort out the altcoin section it could easily be done its just the mods profit to much from all the scams

greyhawk

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 07:37:25 PM

pull some strings ant let me sort out the altcoin section it could easily be done its just the mods profit to much from all the scams

You have already demonstrated your inability to function as a mod in this forum by your willingness to weed out "what you feel is not right". Asking to be handed the weed whackers personally as well as your earlier request for someone to hand you an altcoin forum of your own complete with admin keys just cements you as a power hungry would-be dictator utterly unsuited for a mod role.

Nothing stops you from building your own tyrannical hegemony on the net though. The only problem might be: if you build it they wont come.
zackclark70 (OP)
Legendary

ADT developer

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 07:58:14 PM

You have already demonstrated your inability to function as a mod in this forum by your willingness to weed out "what you feel is not right". Asking to be handed the weed whackers personally as well as your earlier request for someone to hand you an altcoin forum of your own complete with admin keys just cements you as a power hungry would-be dictator utterly unsuited for a mod role.

Nothing stops you from building your own tyrannical hegemony on the net though. The only problem might be: if you build it they wont come.

I have no intention of dictating what people say there is only a handful of threads that I would delete all I would like to do is

tidy up by categorising the threads
( making it easy to navigate threw the junk as all junk would end up in the other category )

I would like to find away to stop all the useless spam but that's not going to happen over night !!

what I would ask for is that 5 category's are made in the altcoin section

1 announcement threads
2 altcoin help threads
3 altcoin buying/selling/trading
4 givaways
5 other

I am not asking for full mod privileges what I would like is for the 5 category's and to only given the power to move threads into the 5 categories nothing more

zackclark70 (OP)
Legendary

ADT developer

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 10:44:20 PM

what it needs is for the mods to agree to transfer over the altcoin section to a new forum other than that we are stuck here as all the info is here

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: