Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 04:37:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013-06-30 Bitcoin compliant: Mt. Gox registers as money service, seeks federal  (Read 736 times)
patricktim (OP)

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 01, 2013, 10:19:48 AM

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/160043-bitcoin-compliant-mt-gox-registers-as-money-service-seeks-federal-blessing-to-continue-operations

The last six weeks have been rough ones for Bitcoin exchange Mt. Gox. On May 15, federal agents seized its account with Wells Fargo. It cut relations with online payment processors like Dwolla and OKPay, which left expensive wire transfers as the only way to move USD funds into or out of the system. 11 days ago, Mt Gox announced that it would no longer process withdrawals in US dollars for the next two weeks.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Ban Curtain

Activity: 63
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 12:07:50 AM

Yeah, I thing that one of main cause of price down is that mtgox cannot process payments for a month. I hope they'll find solutions
sergio

Activity: 313
Merit: 258

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2013, 07:20:12 AM

Big mistake, it is the federal government with the pressure from Banks that are trying to kill Bitcoin.
Why the compliance if they are based in Japan?

There is an old saying you have to know your friends and your enemies, it is not words that count but actions.
Thanks to the feds the price of Bitcoins are down form $130 to $90 in about a month, thanks to them the Bitcoin ATMs are in a state of limbo and can not be implemented, thanks to them many  exchanges had to shutdown, and the ones that did not shutdown on their own were taken down by brute force like liberty reserve, domain confiscation of wm-center.com, and mutum milligium (mtgox usa), legal treats to the Bitcoin Foundation and others, and the list goes on.

My wild guest is that in less than a year the big exchange will be btc-e.com, due to the lower operational cost that compliance involves, and when laws are applied by force in a gray area it is better to play it safe and stay away from them, like btc-e.com is doing.

We should create a list of fincen compliant exchanges and fincen non-compliant exchanges, most bitcoiners do not believe in compliance as shown in the last poll, due mainly to the behavior of Banks and Government.

If Bitcoin was centralized it would be dead by now.

Lets do not forget of Satoshi who did not trust the banks, and design the Bitcoin accordingly, Satoshi is a genius and many of his decision had a reason behind it, some critical others not so much, being pseudo-anonymous was one of the critical ones, another critical one was being deflationary, not so critical the number of coins, and the most critical is being p2p.

The gov is going to put pressure for a fork in which it is no longer pseudo-anonymous, that is something we must not allow, it is about the success of bitcoin vs failure, and that is why compliance is so dangerous, they might want a fork that is PRISM compliant, something completely not acceptable.

Bitware

Activity: 926
Merit: 1001

weaving spiders come not here

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 10:18:28 AM

Why the compliance if they are based in Japan?

I believe by treaty law Japan is required to serve any warrants presented to it by another treaty member and pick them up for us, and extradite back to us. Some will not depending on the severity of the crime and punishment. Like I know some do not because of the death penalty.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: