Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 10:04:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Incomplete Private Keys in Wallet?  (Read 867 times)
Mageant (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1145
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2011, 08:55:57 PM

How about having incomplete private keys in the wallet for more security?

Every time you make a transfer using a certain key you would need to add missing characters using a printout that you make when the wallet is created. The program would let you choose the number of missing digits depending on the level of security that you want. The program would then also transfer any difference in BTC to a new private key so that effectively each private key is only used once. You could also store the "printout" in some file of your own choosing in case you lose the printout.

cjgames.com

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Yeti

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

Firstbits: 1yetiax

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 09:19:27 PM

I love it how everybody brainstorms on security...
But, seriously. Do you think you are much smarter than Gavin and Jeff and all the others?!

Here are my 0.02 BTC on this:

Flaw #1: "Let the user decide the level of security"... Users, and I know you are familiar with the term "DAU", want maximum comfort and don't care about security. As evidenced by the Mt. Gox hack apparently "123456", your birthday or any 5-6 character dictionary password are enough to secure $1000+. The first request would be an option to "store" the missing characters in the wallet.

Flaw #2: Forcing people to use a new private key after every transaction is asking for trouble. I regularly use my wallet on three different computers and I am very happy that my day-to-day transfers are done from one account (apart from the safely stored "savings" account). If I would have to sync all of them all of the time I would go crazy.

Flaw #3: If you ever lose those missing characters you will not ever be able to recover your funds! Unlike with a bank that can issue new passwords and TANs, you are effectively screwed. Admitted, that would also happen with a not backed-up wallet, but now you have two things to worry about: Your wallet and the "printout" (hardcopy or not). I doubt that most people have fire-proof safes to store valuable paper like this.

Let's face it: "More security" can only be accomplished by educating users. It's already possible to have a safe wallet, even though it is not encrypted and password-protected. And it will also be possible to be unsafe once everything is super-safe and tenfold-encrypted. People will just keep using "secret" as their password!

Apart from that: Germans FDG!! (für den Gewinn)

1YetiaXeuRzX9QJoQNUW84oX2EiXnHgp3 or http://payb.tc/yeti

Since Bitcoin Randomizer is dead, join the Bitcoin Pyramid (referrer id #203)! Be quick, be on top! Instant payout as soon as one of your referrals deposits!
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2011, 09:21:32 PM

If only a few characters are missing they can just be brute forced.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: