Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 05:30:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: EZ 6x 1080 TI GPU Mining Rig Build 4400 Sols / 1 PSU  (Read 1618 times)
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 10:32:27 PM
Merited by VoskCoin (1), shibob (1)

Most cards with 2 PCI-E power connectors won't run AT ALL with only 1 connector attached.
I have heard of exceptions, but never SEEN one to date.

The issue with using SATA to power risers is that the PCI-E bus is specified to allow up to 75 watts power draw from the GPU, then the riser ITSELF has to do "voltage conversion" to run that 75 watts from a +12VDC only feed which will eat a few watts as well, while the SATA power connector ITSELF is only rated to provide 54 watts MAX at +12VDC.

There is no way to guarentee how much of it's power a given GPU will draw from the PCI-E power connector(s) and how much it will draw from the bus, so there is a definite risk of overloading that SATA power connector by powering a riser with one.
 If the card splits the power draw so that it's pulling less than 50 watts or so from the PCI-E bus then it will work reliably - but there is NO WAY to make the card do that for SURE unless it's a low power card that draws ALL of it's power from the PCI-E bus (most 1050ti and lower) and you turn the total card TDP down to 50 watts or less.

This is not an issue for MOLEX (150+ watt rated power connector) or PCI-E (192+ watt rating on the connector, even though PCI-E spec says 75 they WAY underrate the connector).

I have not worked with Corsair modular power supplies, but most power supply manufacturers design their "peripheral" and "sata" ports on the PS to be interchangeable - might be worth checking to see if you can run Molex from all of those ports on your Corsair.
 It definitely works on the Corsair AX860/AX760 but those are Seasonic-built Corsair variants on the Seasonic SS-860/SS-760 models and most Corsair PS models are manufactured by companies other than Seasonic.

Isn't the Zotac 1080 ti Extreme a "8 + 8" powered card?

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
VoskCoin (OP)

Activity: 1414
Merit: 487

YouTube.com/VoskCoin

View Profile WWW
February 03, 2018, 01:56:13 PM

Most cards with 2 PCI-E power connectors won't run AT ALL with only 1 connector attached.
I have heard of exceptions, but never SEEN one to date.

The issue with using SATA to power risers is that the PCI-E bus is specified to allow up to 75 watts power draw from the GPU, then the riser ITSELF has to do "voltage conversion" to run that 75 watts from a +12VDC only feed which will eat a few watts as well, while the SATA power connector ITSELF is only rated to provide 54 watts MAX at +12VDC.

There is no way to guarentee how much of it's power a given GPU will draw from the PCI-E power connector(s) and how much it will draw from the bus, so there is a definite risk of overloading that SATA power connector by powering a riser with one.
 If the card splits the power draw so that it's pulling less than 50 watts or so from the PCI-E bus then it will work reliably - but there is NO WAY to make the card do that for SURE unless it's a low power card that draws ALL of it's power from the PCI-E bus (most 1050ti and lower) and you turn the total card TDP down to 50 watts or less.

This is not an issue for MOLEX (150+ watt rated power connector) or PCI-E (192+ watt rating on the connector, even though PCI-E spec says 75 they WAY underrate the connector).

I have not worked with Corsair modular power supplies, but most power supply manufacturers design their "peripheral" and "sata" ports on the PS to be interchangeable - might be worth checking to see if you can run Molex from all of those ports on your Corsair.
 It definitely works on the Corsair AX860/AX760 but those are Seasonic-built Corsair variants on the Seasonic SS-860/SS-760 models and most Corsair PS models are manufactured by companies other than Seasonic.

Isn't the Zotac 1080 ti Extreme a "8 + 8" powered card?

this is an excellent post // yes it is unless its been changed at some point

Check out my Crypto YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/VoskCoin
If you enjoy my content click Subscribe
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: