Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 10:20:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The Winkle Twins  (Read 4179 times)
Chaoskampf (OP)

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

order in numbers

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 12:01:27 AM

What do you guys think of them? What's their angle? It's my opinion that they're not the simple Bitcoin evangelist/enthusiasts that they portray themselves to be. What I do know is that they're interested in a regulated Bitcoin, and especially after their recent SEC filing, I've been running through a number of theories as to what their ultimate goal might be in all of this. I'm interested to see what you guys think.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Breen2543

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 12:03:06 AM

They just invest about $20,000,000 in BTC I believe. I hope they can make progress with this as it would surely make the price of BitCoin rise. On the other hand, if it goes that far, then banks and government gets involved... hmmm, I dont know
spiral_mind

Activity: 146

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 12:25:50 AM

What do you guys think of them? What's their angle? It's my opinion that they're not the simple Bitcoin evangelist/enthusiasts that they portray themselves to be. What I do know is that they're interested in a regulated Bitcoin, and especially after their recent SEC filing, I've been running through a number of theories as to what their ultimate goal might be in all of this. I'm interested to see what you guys think.

If you read the articles they state they will charge an undisclosed fee for their new instrument.

I think they want to make money.

/thread
Rippyzippers

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 12:27:11 AM

Because clinging to Bitcoin is the only way for them to get in front of a camera or do an interview to feel important, because nobody else gives a fuck about them

BTC.sx - Leveraged Bitcoin Trading. Profit from a rising or falling Bitcoin price.
Donate: BTC:1EtqYNJruZBEQWxDcEFytro7R1PGULPAm8
Anonymous Masks for BTC!
BitDreams

Activity: 503
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 12:29:08 AM

Because when they lost their idea they went out and found a bigger and better one. Time will tell.
Breen2543

Activity: 42

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 12:54:33 AM

Ether way, its another outlet for Bitcoin into the mainstream, which is good.
mgio

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 01:58:04 AM

People don't like thm because of that movie. They fail to realize it was nt a documentary; it was a MOVIE.

The winkleface twins are taking a huge risk with this bitcoin ETF, but if it succeeds it could make them a lot of money and be HUGE for bitcoin. This could easily be the best thing to happen to bitcoin in 2013.
ABitBack

Activity: 524
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 08:02:34 AM

People don't like thm because of that movie. They fail to realize it was nt a documentary; it was a MOVIE.

The winkleface twins are taking a huge risk with this bitcoin ETF, but if it succeeds it could make them a lot of money and be HUGE for bitcoin. This could easily be the best thing to happen to bitcoin in 2013.

Yeah based on a true story. I do think they portray themselves as a bit desperate though and that they have put all their eggs in one basket.

SuperBroHeroFella

Activity: 14

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 09:14:32 AM

/tinfoil mode

They have a kind of credibility for being elite and rich and are used by the world banks as a test drive into bitcoin. Then somehow they fuck shit up and they will be the news icon for how bitcoin is not worth it so the sheeples are scared back into their wonderful grass planes of fiat.

OR

They are so mad at all their people for making fun of their broken fb project and go for bitcoin as the last refuge.

b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 09:19:58 AM

Tldr: they want to be the bank of bitcoin
bitcats
Legendary

Activity: 1014
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 09:41:23 AM

The Twinkle Wins   Grin

"Unser Problem ist nicht ziviler Ungehorsam, unser Problem ist ziviler Gehorsam."  - Howard Zinn
N12
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 10:10:28 AM

It's because they want to dump their 200k BTC on the unsuspecting public.
Chaoskampf (OP)

Activity: 182

order in numbers

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 12:45:58 PM

One of my suspicions is that they want to be the head of a new and centralized Bitcoin that they hope to create. Their role in driving the legitimization (through regulation) of the currency in some hope of making it accessible to the masses might just be a front for putting it under their ultimate control. That's just one theory I've had...
doom309

Activity: 170
Merit: 102

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 04:31:32 PM

they have publicly stated that regulation would be good for bitcoin

now its announced theyre aiming to create a bitcoin derivative for wall st, the bitcoin etf

we arent hearing anything from them on how to develop the bitcoin economy, improve merchant takeup, kickstart the thousands of new and drawingboard bitcoin businesses out there, or how to get african people and so forth into the scene ...

so im guessing their only concern is their own investment bottom line, which is fine and understandable, but ...

also confirms 95% of this community is being left behind, its every man/woman for him/herself !!

Nagle
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2013, 04:52:55 PM

Right. They bought a large number of Bitcoins. Now they want to unload them. But how? Mt. Gox isn't paying out USD to traders who sell, and nobody with $20 million would trust it to Mt. Gox. Tradehill probably doesn't have the volume to sell that many without crashing the market.  By creating an exchange-traded fund, and funding the initial offering with their Bitcoins, they have a vehicle for dumping 200k BTC.
N12
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 04:54:09 PM

Right. They bought a large number of Bitcoins. Now they want to unload them. But how? Mt. Gox isn't paying out USD to traders who sell, and nobody with $20 million would trust it to Mt. Gox. Tradehill probably doesn't have the volume to sell that many without crashing the market.  By creating an exchange-traded fund, and funding the initial offering with their Bitcoins, they have a vehicle for dumping 200k BTC.
Nagle, it's you! Missing you over at the speculation forum. What would you say is the Bitcoin endgame at this point?
SimplyBTC

Activity: 50
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 07:50:52 PM

They are in it to make money. Don't judge them by the film. They appear to be successfull business men who are ruthless sometimes but that's how they make money. I don't like them personally but their investment and interest in bitcoin is probably a good thing until they sell their stock!

www.SimplyBTC.co.uk
AliceWonder

Activity: 168

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 08:00:14 PM

They are in it to make money. Don't judge them by the film. They appear to be successfull business men who are ruthless sometimes but that's how they make money. I don't like them personally but their investment and interest in bitcoin is probably a good thing until they sell their stock!

Yes, I suspect they have pump and dump planned, but not all at once and not for awhile.
They'll let it grow and pump and sell some off and then let what's left grow etc.

That's what the who nasdaq thing is about.

QuarkCoin - what I believe bitcoin was intended to be. On reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/QuarkCoin/
vokain
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2013, 08:01:53 PM
Last edit: July 03, 2013, 08:23:35 PM by vokain

Right. They bought a large number of Bitcoins. Now they want to unload them. But how? Mt. Gox isn't paying out USD to traders who sell, and nobody with $20 million would trust it to Mt. Gox. Tradehill probably doesn't have the volume to sell that many without crashing the market.  By creating an exchange-traded fund, and funding the initial offering with their Bitcoins, they have a vehicle for dumping 200k BTC.
Nagle, it's you! Missing you over at the speculation forum. What would you say is the Bitcoin endgame at this point?
If this is true they would've done this earlier. They bought at a very cheap price. When they announced months after purchasing, their 1% stake was worth $11M
“We have elected to put our money and faith in a mathematical framework that is free of politics and human error,” Tyler Winklevoss said.
they're in this for the long haul. They understand if bitcoin is to succeed, it must get into the hands of as many people as they can, in a way only people like them can.

see:
Another issue is the total amount of bitcoins they control,  if they do not increase it,  and money keeps pouring in (and they allow for physical deliver as most ETF's do)  then you now will see bitcoins worth 100k each or more.  

Not only are they going to be 'selling their bitcoins' to the investors ,  they will be making money on the transactions for life for 'managing' the fund.

You think mining fees are outrageous,  these guys just made the most powerful ASIC miner in history.    Every single transaction on that fund they will be making a profit from.

cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4018
Merit: 1299

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 08:30:24 PM

I agree they seem to be in it for the long haul.  An ETF is a very positive because it opens up the BTC market to anyone with a brokerage account that has access to US markets.  It makes it easy for someone's mom or aunt or sister or son to buy "just a few bitcoins, just in case."  The costs involved setting up an ETF are not insignificant (I would think in the 6-7 figure USD range given the legal, regulator etc hurdles) and it seems as if this would be an expensive way to liquidate their positions.

Whatever the cost of their investment and relative to their other holdings their BTC portion is small percentage-wise (even now) and they do not seem stupid enough to cash out something that has a lot of potential for something that they do not need now.  Would you cash out a few percent of your portfolio if it had a huge appreciation potential and you didn't need it?

Smiley

they're in this for the long haul. They understand if bitcoin is to succeed, it must get into the hands of as many people as they can, in a way only people like them can.

see:
Another issue is the total amount of bitcoins they control,  if they do not increase it,  and money keeps pouring in (and they allow for physical deliver as most ETF's do)  then you now will see bitcoins worth 100k each or more.  

Not only are they going to be 'selling their bitcoins' to the investors ,  they will be making money on the transactions for life for 'managing' the fund.

You think mining fees are outrageous,  these guys just made the most powerful ASIC miner in history.    Every single transaction on that fund they will be making a profit from.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: