Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 01:16:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it safe to reuse a hacked exchange wallet account?  (Read 294 times)
CoinSanta (OP)

Activity: 38
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 29, 2017, 08:31:56 PM

I had bitcoin stolen by a hacker 1 month ago, I have since set up a stronger PW and 2FA. Also gonna accumulate BTC on a paper wallet. Is it safe to reuse the hacked account to trade? If not, what are the options?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
AdolfinWolf
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1427

View Profile
November 29, 2017, 08:39:30 PM

I had bitcoin stolen by a hacker 1 month ago, I have since set up a stronger PW and 2FA. Also gonna accumulate BTC on a paper wallet. Is it safe to reuse the hacked account to trade? If not, what are the options?

That would depend on how your account got hacked in the first place.

If he

1. bruteforced your account password, then yes, it should probably be fine.

2. used a database (https://leakedsource.ru/) for example, to find out the password of your email / exchange, you should probably still be wary.

3. used social engineering ( although i'm not too sure this is possible with most exchanges), it wouldn't really be safe to use the same account again, as i'd say that the chances of it happening again are pretty big.

I myself would've probably created a new account with a clean email, but you'll need to make your own decision.

slate_main

Activity: 105
Merit: 11

BYTZ

View Profile
November 30, 2017, 10:59:08 PM

I would question the exchange and my own security is strong, if you still want to continue to use exchange (and your security was strong), then make a new clean account and have less holdings there in the future.
equator
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 30, 2017, 11:10:30 PM

Since the account got hacked then it is always not recommended to reuse it as the hacker will be having still the control of that account and can withdraw your coins when ever wanted without you knowing it.
cellard
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1252

View Profile
November 30, 2017, 11:29:55 PM

That would depend on how your account got hacked in the first place.

If he

1. bruteforced your account password, then yes, it should probably be fine.

2. used a database (https://leakedsource.ru/) for example, to find out the password of your email / exchange, you should probably still be wary.

3. used social engineering ( although i'm not too sure this is possible with most exchanges), it wouldn't really be safe to use the same account again, as i'd say that the chances of it happening again are pretty big.

I myself would've probably created a new account with a clean email, but you'll need to make your own decision.

If he wants to be sure then he should format his computer and install a Linux distro, something easy if he is a windows user like Ubuntu, just to be safe from proprietary software hacks, if you do that you are avoiding all potential windows exploits.

Of course after that you must be using newly created emails, password and a new account too. This way you will be able to have a peace of mind that if you were under control you are no longer hacked. And don't forget to change your passwords every 6 months at least.
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3262
Merit: 4110

View Profile
November 30, 2017, 11:37:25 PM

Consider everything compromised once you have been compromised. Depending on the exchange and whether they allow it or not, the hacker could of noted down the private keys of the addresses, not many exchanges allow you to see the private keys, but some used too. Do not send to addresses that have been compromise and no longer use them for anything. The account once the password and email is changed should be enough to secure the account. However, you could just create another account and contact support and let them know you are doing that because of a recent compromise.
Aleister Crowley

Activity: 966
Merit: 501

View Profile
November 30, 2017, 11:48:32 PM

it seems to be better if you throw away your wallet account, I think it would be risky if you do exchange using a hacked wallet ,, because even if you have fired a stronger security for your wallet, this will remain risky because if the hacker already has 'private key' your wallet will be useless even if your wallet security has been strengthened .. with 'private key' hacker will still have access to it
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: