Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 12:24:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BFL now getting customer financing?  (Read 1722 times)
-Redacted- (OP)

Activity: 574
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 06:34:12 PM

Has anyone heard anything about this?  I caught a snippet of this discussion -somewhere- but when I wanted to go back and read in more depth I couldn't find the article again.

The premise of the article was:

BFL chips = 20 days from the foundry.  Delivery to chip buying customers=100 days.  Float = 80 days.

Accusation: BFL is selling chips and using the 80 days worth of float as a way to have chip buyers finance their chip purchases.  They are using the float and that free financing to obtain chips - at no cost to themselves - that they are building production units out of.

Does this ring a bell with anyone?  Can anyone point me to the article/discussion concerning this?  There was a lot more depth to the article than just this, but it seems to have disappeared.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Zanatos666

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

Sometimes man, just sometimes.....

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 06:57:02 PM

Havent read anything on that, but doesnt sound too far fetched.  There are many business like that.  A business orders a product from a manufacturer, it ships, and that manufacturer invoices the business, but the payment terms says that its due within 30 or even 60 days.  Well, in that mean time the business will attempt to sell the product at their marked up price before the invoice is due, essentially having the product pay for itself and they business keeps the profit and never had to come out of pocket.  This is a pretty standard business model.

Not saying that that is what BFL is doing, but if they are, its not out of the ordinary.

Squiggly letters, written really fast, with a couple of dots for good measure.
HellDiverUK

Activity: 1246
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 07:39:01 PM

To be fair, if you're not running your business like this, you're doing it wrong.  Buy on credit, sell with markup before credit is due.
tempestb

Activity: 729
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 08:25:51 PM

I would imagine that he is using 80 days to combine orders, which would potentially get him a better price from the foundry and also just simplify ordering, packaging and the like.  He probably also wanted to give themselves a buffer between all the orders they are currently shipping out, and when the chips arrive for shipping. 

I don't think they have an immediate money crunch where they would need to spend incoming money on funding their current orders because they continue to get preorders for units.  I imagine just putting the smaller Minirig up for sale got them a million dollars from anxious buyers.  If I've learned one thing from these forums, it's that people will throw money at miners with only the slightest hope that they'll ever even receive them.

So it's more likely just a management thing.  Put all the orders together, get a better deal, package them at the same time, ship them at the same time.  Just makes sense.

1D7JwRnoungL1YQy7sJMsqmA8BHkPcKGDJ
We mine as we dream...  Alone
rograz

Activity: 575

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 08:44:53 PM

20 days from placing the order at foundry to delivery of chips sounds very optimistic
goxed
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1006

Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 09:04:57 PM

Does 20 day include, packaging and bumping ?

Revewing Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.
SLok

Activity: 568

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 09:34:56 PM

It's 100 days delivery time from order date, and 50% up front, escrow for group buyers, see the "group buys" section in "hardware".

WARNING! Don't trade BTC with Bruno Kucinskas aka Gleb Gamow, Phinnaeus Gage, etc Laundering BTC from anonymous sellers, avoid!https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=649176.msg7279994#msg7279994 #TELLFBI #TELLKSAG #TELLIRS WARNING! Darin M. Bicknell, a proclaimed atheist, teaching at the Jakarta CanadianMontessori School. Drop your kids there at your own risk! WARNING! Christian Otzipka - Hildesheim is a known group-buy scammer, avoid! WARNING! Frizz Supertramp, faker with dozens of accounts here! WARNING! Christian "2 coins to see SLOk's" Antkow, still playing his little microphone...WARNING! Slobodan "Stolen Valor" Bogovac, faking being a ProfessorWARNING!Marion Sydney Lynn, google him, errr her, errr.. and lol
hardpick

Activity: 265
Merit: 250

Football President

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2013, 09:55:47 PM
Last edit: July 03, 2013, 10:20:02 PM by hardpick

Does 20 day include, packaging and bumping ?

BFL are still packaging and bumping  the 70,000 chips they received in feburary --- they would need to change the whole process to meet those times
PuertoLibre
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1003

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 10:01:47 PM

Has anyone heard anything about this?  I caught a snippet of this discussion -somewhere- but when I wanted to go back and read in more depth I couldn't find the article again.

BFL chips = 20 days from the foundry.  Delivery to chip buying customers=100 days.  Float = 80 days.

Accusation: BFL is selling chips and using the 80 days worth of float as a way to have chip buyers finance their chip purchases.  They are using the float and that free financing to obtain chips - at no cost to themselves - that they are building production units out of.

Does this ring a bell with anyone?  Can anyone point me to the article/discussion concerning this?  There was a lot more depth to the article than just this, but it seems to have disappeared.
You are referring to Kernel32's group buy.

Go to the Group Buy section and it will refresh your memory.
erk

Activity: 826

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 11:28:44 PM

How about mentioning the bit where it takes GlobalFoundries 2months to make a wafer from the time BFL have gathered enough orders from people to fund a wafer run?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhsKCnDD3F8

Or the bit where you only have to pay 50% up front and the balance on delivery?

https://forums.butterflylabs.com/announcements/3014-butterfly-labs-announces-bulk-chip-sales.html

Or is this just another smear thread the mods don't care about?

k9quaint
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 11:55:56 PM

How about mentioning the bit where it takes GlobalFoundries 2months to make a wafer from the time BFL have gathered enough orders from people to fund a wafer run?

Nice try.
If they have already done one wafer run, the lead time is cut dramatically because they don't have to make the layer masks from scratch. They just do the etching and slicing, which is far easier to schedule. So no, it shouldn't take 100 days of lead time to get more chips.

Censorship is always the go to card for scam artists. BFL spokespuppets like Erk reach for it constantly. I am surprised BFL hasn't threatened people with SLAPPs, or have they?   Shocked

Bitcoin is backed by the full faith and credit of YouTube comments.
Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 12:02:43 AM

Nice try.
If they have already done one wafer run, the lead time is cut dramatically because they don't have to make the layer masks from scratch. They just do the etching and slicing, which is far easier to schedule. So no, it shouldn't take 100 days of lead time to get more chips.

Censorship is always the go to card for scam artists. BFL spokespuppets like Erk reach for it constantly. I am surprised BFL hasn't threatened people with SLAPPs, or have they?   Shocked

Reminds of a song " Can't SLAPP this"  Cheesy

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/SLAPP

I'm just glad I got my unit,FINALLY  Roll Eyes

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
sikman

Activity: 572

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 01:19:44 AM

anything is possible with BFL, no matter what they do it will always end up a mess with long delays and customer getting buttfucked

PECULIUM                    [  PRIVATE SALE ~$2M PLEDGED ]
First Saving System in CryptoCurrency Driven by Artificial Intelligence     / WHITEPAPER / ANN / BOUNTY / TELEGRAM /

▓░          ░  ░░░    ░▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▒▒
                                  █▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒ ▒▓██▓▓▓▒▒▒▒▒▒▓
             ░░░░░▒▒░░  ░░░░░░░░░▒█░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▓▓▒▒███▓▓████████▓▓
        ░▒▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒ ░░░     ▒▓▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▓▒▒▓██▒▓██████▓█████
     ░▒▒▒▒░░░░░ ░░░░░░▒▓▒ ░░░    ░▓▓▓▓▓▒▓▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▓██▓ ████████▒▓██▓▓
          ░░░░▒░▒▒░▒▒▒▒░▒░ ░      ▓▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▒▒▒▓▒▓▓▓▒░████▓███▒████▓▓
      ░░░░░░░▒▒░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒░░       ▒▓░▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒ █████████████  
       ░░░▒▒▒░░░░▒░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒   ░░░░▒▒▒▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒▒▒███▓█████▓░     
      ░░░    ░░░▒▒▒▒▒░▒▒▓▓  ░░░ ▒▒▒▒▒▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒ ░▓██▓▒░          ░ ░
     ░░  ▒▓█████████▓▓▓▒▓░  ░░ ░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▓▓▓▓▒▒▓▒░   ░░░ ░░░░     
     ░ ▓██▒▓▓▓███▒▒▒▒▓▓▓▓    ░ ░▒░▒▒░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▓▓▒▒░░░░             
     ░▓█░▒██████████▓▒▒█      ░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░            
    ░▓▓ ███████▓▒██▓███▒      ░░░░░░░░░░░░▒░▒░▒░▒▒░░░░░░░         
    ▒▒ ▓██▓▓██▒▓███▓███      ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░            
    ▒░▒█░███▓████▓           ░ ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░                 
    ░ ██ ████▓▓     ▒       ░░  ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░                    
                   ▒░      ░░ ░   ░░░░░░░░░░                      
            ░░░░░░▒▒       ░░   ░ ░  ░░░░░░░                      
          ░░░  ░░ ░         ░          ░░░░░░                     
                           ░      ░░░░░░░▒▒░                      
                                     ░░░  ░▒                      
                            ░░▒░░░      ░  ░▒                     
                    ░    ░░░░░░ ░░░▒▒░    ░░▒░                    
                    ▒▒░░░░░░   ░░    ░▒▒░░░░▒▒                    
                      ▒▒░░▒░▓███████▓ ░▒▒▒▒▒▓▒                    
                    ▓░ ░▒░░▓██████████░░▒▒▒▓▓                     
                   ▓███░░▒▒▒▓▓▓▓███▓▓▓▓▒▒▓▓▓                      
                    ████▓▒▓▒▒▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒░                       
                     ▓██▓▒▓▓▓▒▓▓▓▓▓▒▒░░░                          
                      ▓▒▒▒▓▓▓▓▓▒░░░                               
                        ░░▓▓▓▓▓▒                                  
                         ░▒▒▒▒▒▒                                  
                          ░▒▒░▒░                                  
                          ░░   ░                                  
                          ░    ░                                  ░
                             ░░                       ░           ░
                                                      ░░        ░ ░
                         ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░     ░░░░░░░░░░░ ░░ ░ ░ ░
                       ░▒░░░░░░░░▒▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒▒▒▒░░░░    ░░░░░░░ ░
                      ░▒░▒▒▒▓▓▓███████▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒░░░░░░░░
                     ░▒▒▓▓████▓▓▒              ░▒▒▓▓▓▓████▓▒░░░░▒░▒
                    ░▒▓██▒░                ░░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒░   ░░░░░░▒
                   ░▒▓█       ░░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░▒░▒
                  ▒▒▓█   ░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▓▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
                 ░░▓█    ░░░░░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░ ░░░░░        ░ ▒
[url=https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=385
tinoki

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 10:20:11 AM

They will used the 60 days to mine for themselves!!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: