Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 03:09:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Butterfly Labs Mini Rig review  (Read 9201 times)
TsuyokuNaritai (OP)

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 07:47:28 PM
Last edit: July 03, 2013, 09:34:56 PM by TsuyokuNaritai

[Edit: review is pasted below, as the following link is broken for some people]

Here is the review of the Butterfly Labs Mini Rig.

And here is where you can buy some ASICMiner shares.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
rammy2k2
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1003

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 07:50:03 PM

? the point of this topic is ?
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 07:53:04 PM

Site is down?

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
greenbtc

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 07:54:22 PM

Site is down?

Awesome.
TsuyokuNaritai (OP)

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 08:04:19 PM

Site is down?
Odd. It was fine in firefox till I enabled Javascript for it in noscript. Disable javascript again and it's fine. One of it's javascript files must be broken.

TsuyokuNaritai (OP)

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 08:20:56 PM
Last edit: July 05, 2013, 05:39:28 PM by TsuyokuNaritai

OK... to be clear: I didn't write this review, but as no-one seems to believe it's real, here's it is pasted from the site. To be fair, it's from a site that pokes fun at BTC so might be a tad biased on the negative side.

Edit: Indeed, BFL says some photos in the review were of the wrong machine (they've edited the review now, I've included their change below). Read for entertainment purposes only, don't take too seriously at least until reading the comments in the thread, BFL deserve right of reply.

The $22,484.00 Butterfly Labs Mini Rig bitcoin miner is a huge, broken, unstable piece of shit.

Butterfly Labs has a long and horrible history with their mining rigs. They started taking pre-orders over a year ago, with a ship time sometime in late July. After numerous delays in production, shipping problems and general incompetence, the only thing they’ve managed to get out the door are some of their tiniest miners, the Jalapenos. And those mainly ended up in the hands of reviewers and blogs in order to keep pumping the Butterfly Labs hype train and securing millions of dollars of pre-orders still in limbo.

Lucky BFL forums user Luke-JR however scored a sweet Mini Rig from Butterfly Labs (it’s just a coincidence he’s a driver developer for them I’m sure). This rig was originally promised to produce 1500 GH/s hashing power at 1500 watts for $30,000, but has since seen it’s hashing power slashed to a third of what was promised and it’s power consumption increased 75%, now just offer 500 GH/s at 2400 watts. They’ve promised to make good on pre-order buy sending out 3 rigs to match the initial hashing rate, so now it’s only 1500 GH/s at 6900 watts, a reduction in GH/Watt by a factor of 5.

So what does $22,484 buy you? Take a look!

Minirig is here!

Today, my Minirig arrived.

FedEx apparently dropped it somewhere along the way, and the weakest part of the case, the thin metal part around the back of the PSU, broke.

I’m not sure how sturdy the back side was supposed to be, but its two pieces aren’t quite together either.

The power supplies (EVGA 1500W) also created havoc interfering with the neutral on the power line. This disrupted X10 communication significantly enough that the pool overflowed because the system controlling it was unable to turn off the pump. Workaround: This PSU supports 240V, so we rewired the outlet. 240V does not use neutral, so now all should be okay.

Edit: 240V workaround is only partial. Still having problems

But the good news is, it all seems to be working for the most part.

Next up, installing it in the window so the heat goes outside

A twenty two thousand dollar box of electronics that is broken out of the box, that required the guy to do a sketchy electrical workaround to get partially working, that he is going to install in a window… and he’s happy about it?

In case you didn’t notice it, the delivered unit is different than the picture on the website. They had to install 2 power supplies instead of 1 and had to modify the case to fit. Also, if you didn’t notice, the LCD/Phone thingy in the front has been replaced by … a piece of cardboard spray painted black. Wonderful.

You could maybe chalk this up to a careless Fedex postman, but when you’re shipping something that costs as much as a mid-sized sedan, how bought putting a little more effort into packing? Dell and HP can ship bigger and heavier servers across the world without this kind of problem.

The unit had to hit its huge power draw increase by putting dual EVGA consumer grade power supplies in the unit. We’re talking almost a 75 amp load (6*1500/120), disregarding power factor. He could very well overload the circuit panel and trip the main breaker for the house.

Let’s take a look inside this guy. This is from an earlier version of the Minirig (note the single power supply) This is apparently from an earlier FPGA but it will give you a good glimpse at what kind of craftsmanship you can expect from a computer that is half the average household income in the United States.

Consumer grade PSU and cheap USB hubs glued to the inside case.

Electrical tape and random velcro glued to the insides

A closer look at the USB hubs. Plugs are hot glued to stay secured.

Electrical tape everywhere, splices and voided hardware are the theme.

You can view the entire album here: http://imgur.com/a/Uanjr#23

Despite all that, this thing can still mine bitcoins and it should be profitable. How much money can we expect from from a rig like this? If the difficulty didn’t change, they would make 37 bitcoins a day and recoup the initial investment in 124 days. Difficulty is jumping pretty much 20% every 12 days or so, so in the next week before adjustment, they’ll make 259, the next 12 days 369, the next 12 days 312, then 256, then 213, etc.

So by day 127, they’ll be halfway to breaking even, but by day 151 they’ll be making less than 5 bitcoins a day, and even if difficulty stopped rising at that point(which it won’t), it would take another 435 days for a total of 586 days to break even. If difficulty kept rising at the same pace, by day 200 they’d be making 2.4 bitcoins per day, and it would take 1024 days to break even with no difficulty increase. Assuming 25 cents per kw/h, and $100 a bitcoin, it would cost 0.43 of a bitcoin per day in electricity which means the unit would no longer be profitable on a power usage basis by day 307, at which point it will have produced 2620 bitcoins.

Bear in mind this is only for the first few units, and that’s running 24/7 pumping out around 24,000 BTU, so yes, medical bills from heat stroke will be on top of that.

But Alas, the chips don’t run nearly as well as they’re supposed to, frequently running too hot and giving multiple hardware failures. Coindesk noted in one of the first ever runs of the Minirig by hosting provide gigavps that it was running much too hot and erroring out.

At the time of posting, gigavps warned that the unit would be repeatedly shut down while ckolivas, who was assisting, modified the machine’s software to optimise performance. After some tweaking, the device was said to have been left to run continuously for two hours, and was shown to have an average hash rate of 478.1 GH/s. As you can see in the table below, ASIC number four (of a total of eight hashing chips) ran significantly hotter (86 degrees) and consequently gave the highest hardware (HW) error rate.

So, what happens if you just decide you don’t want this, you don’t want to wait over a year to get a $22,000 broken piece of shit? Nothing, because BFL won’t let you cancel your preorder because they’re now “shipping”, i.e. they sent out one unit to their own company shill.

Which is of course illegal regardless of what Butterfly Labs may say.

So in summary: Don’t buy anything from Butterfly Labs … ever.

Edit: there's one comment on the site so far, which is worrying reading. Is there any truth to this?

This is incredibly dangerous since it is doing neutral line loading. If that is fucking with a dudes pool then it is sourcing current from neutral which is a big no no. It is a really easy way to start an electrical fire. I am actually wondering if this has to pass UL or CE testing to ship legally in the US or Canada because when it starts a fire in some dudes house and he finds out he can’t claim insurance because he was running this he will be unhappy as hell.

mc_lovin
Legendary

Activity: 1190

www.bitcointrading.com

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2013, 08:34:04 PM

lmfao! 

excellent review! 

I love the hot glue, it's a nice touch!
blastbob

Activity: 602

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 08:36:08 PM

lmfao!  

excellent review!  

Hot Glue is on my list with ductape, strips and electric tape.

You can fix everything with those 4 components Smiley

Bitrated user: blastbob.
OmegaNemesis28

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 08:44:56 PM

lmfao!  

excellent review!  

Hot Glue is on my list with ductape, strips and electric tape.

You can fix everything with those 4 components Smiley

xD too true
Fixing something to ship something to a customer.
Stay classy BFL
tyrion70
Legendary

Activity: 934

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 08:45:29 PM

Despite all that, this thing can still mine bitcoins and it should be profitable. How much money can we expect from from a rig like this? If the difficulty didn’t change, they would make 37 bitcoins a day and recoup the initial investment in 124 days. Difficulty is jumping pretty much 20% every 12 days or so, so in the next week before adjustment, they’ll make 259, the next 12 days 369, the next 12 days 312, then 256, then 213, etc.

So by day 127, they’ll be halfway to breaking even, but by day 151 they’ll be making less than 5 bitcoins a day, and even if difficulty stopped rising at that point(which it won’t), it would take another 435 days for a total of 586 days to break even. If difficulty kept rising at the same pace, by day 200 they’d be making 2.4 bitcoins per day, and it would take 1024 days to break even with no difficulty increase. Assuming 25 cents per kw/h, and $100 a bitcoin, it would cost 0.43 of a bitcoin per day in electricity which means the unit would no longer be profitable on a power usage basis by day 307, at which point it will have produced 2620 bitcoins.

Great review! Just a mixup in the math though.. 37btc a day makes roughly 3000 USD a day.. so break-even in roughly 9 days... However at current difficulty 500GH mines around 11 btc a day. Still only 30 days to breakeven (not counting electricity costs).

But I'll definately listen to the warning.. I'd rather not set my house on fire and upset the electricity company :p

freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 08:45:36 PM

RIP BFL rig

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
maxmint

Activity: 700

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 08:55:35 PM

Great review! Just a mixup in the math though.. 37btc a day makes roughly 3000 USD a day.. so break-even in roughly 9 days... However at current difficulty 500GH mines around 11 btc a day. Still only 30 days to breakeven (not counting electricity costs).

But I'll definately listen to the warning.. I'd rather not set my house on fire and upset the electricity company :p

In the original article the author is talking about customer having paid 1562 BTC back when a bitcoin was worth $6.5. I guess the break-even calculations are based on this figure.

My PGP-Key: 462D02D8
Verify my messages using keybase: https://keybase.io/maxmint
tyrion70
Legendary

Activity: 934

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 08:57:28 PM

In the original article the author is talking about customer having paid 1562 BTC back when a bitcoin was worth $6.5. I guess the break-even calculations are based on this figure.
That might explain Smiley Didn't read the original one..

crumbs

Activity: 210

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 08:59:16 PM

A piece of advice from a fellow butcher:  If you must use electrical tape to tidy up, hide it under heat shrink tubing.  Protip:  Use heat gun, lighters & matches burn your fingers Cheesy
philips

Activity: 700

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 09:09:05 PM

You could maybe chalk this up to a careless Fedex postman, but when you’re shipping something that costs as much as a mid-sized sedan, how bought putting a little more effort into packing? Dell and HP can ship bigger and heavier servers across the world without this kind of problem.

Seems to me a good point here.
tinus42

Activity: 784
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 09:11:45 PM

Please hit me in the face with a sledge hammer when I am considering to buy from these clowns. Cheesy
BFL

Activity: 217

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2013, 09:20:10 PM

To anyone who might be misled by this post, those photos are not of a 500 GH/s BFL MiniRig.

-  The first couple photos are of an early dev unit built with only a few boards and no control module.

-  The second group of photos are of an FPGA mini rig prototype from 2011.

Butterfly Labs  -  www.butterflylabs.com  -  Bitcoin Mining Hardware
goxed
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1006

Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 09:24:42 PM

To anyone who might be misled by this post, those photos are not of a 500 GH/s BFL MiniRig.

-  The first couple photos are of an early dev unit built with only a few boards and no control module.

-  The second group of photos are of an FPGA mini rig prototype from 2011.

No wonder I was confused, since the MR SC was supposed to come with 2 1500W PSUs, and the one in the picture has only one.

Revewing Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.
SLok

Activity: 568

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 09:28:37 PM

Here's the original btw: https://forums.butterflylabs.com/blogs/luke-jr/203-minirig-here.html

WARNING! Don't trade BTC with Bruno Kucinskas aka Gleb Gamow, Phinnaeus Gage, etc Laundering BTC from anonymous sellers, avoid!https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=649176.msg7279994#msg7279994 #TELLFBI #TELLKSAG #TELLIRS WARNING! Darin M. Bicknell, a proclaimed atheist, teaching at the Jakarta CanadianMontessori School. Drop your kids there at your own risk! WARNING! Christian Otzipka - Hildesheim is a known group-buy scammer, avoid! WARNING! Frizz Supertramp, faker with dozens of accounts here! WARNING! Christian "2 coins to see SLOk's" Antkow, still playing his little microphone...WARNING! Slobodan "Stolen Valor" Bogovac, faking being a ProfessorWARNING!Marion Sydney Lynn, google him, errr her, errr.. and lol
Bitcoinorama

Activity: 532

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 09:29:39 PM

So the damaged unit is new, and the unit with gaffer tape and glue customisation is the FPGA?

Did BFL really send the FPGA out in that condition, or is that someone else's handiwork??

Credit should only be where credit is due...

Make my day! Say thanks if you found me helpful Smiley BTC Address --->
1487ThaKjezGA6SiE8fvGcxbgJJu6XWtZp
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: